RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Multiplex Royal EVO Transmitter (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/2025839-multiplex-royal-evo-transmitter.html)

davey 07-26-2004 05:52 PM

Multiplex Royal EVO Transmitter

I'm on the edge of buying a Multiplex 12 channel Royal EVO transmitter.

I'm looking for comments concerning the Multiplex Royal EVO transmitter from people who have had the opportunity to use one for awhile. I know the technical specs but am looking for more personal comments, especially from those who have had some experience with the others on the market like Airtronics, Futaba, JR and the like and can compare their features.

HarryC 07-27-2004 03:03 AM

RE: Multiplex Royal EVO Transmitter

I have used computer Tx by Futaba and JR, I own a Multiplex 4000 and have used a friend's Royal Evo a lot. All for fixed wing, I have no experience of helis or how the radios compare for heli use. Friend bought the Evo becuase the Futaba 9C would not do all the mixing that he wanted for a quad wing power model, the Evo does it with ease and capacity to spare. He traded in his 9C against the Evo. Lot of people here either trading in their 9C or wishing they had waited until the Evo came out instead of hurrying to buy the 9C.

I find the Evo very easy to use, but I was very experienced in programming a Multiplex before the Evo came along. Multiplex uses a totally different methodology to all the other brands, one which Mpx users feel is much superior and easier but it is different so there is a learning hump to get over. Mpx does not use the master-slave method that all other brands use.

Despite having 12 channels and being very capable, the Evo 12 is not the top of the Multiplex line-up and was never intended to be Mpx's top dog! For that reason it does not have a complete set of capabilities, at the extremes of programming it does not have some of the features of a 9Z or PCM10, and it comes nowhere near the capabilities of the Mpx Profi 4000 but then what does?! For power fliers there are two omissions that we are asking Mpx to upgrade, these are that a model memory has only one expo setting which is fixed across all 4 flight modes and we want an expo setting per flight mode, and also there is a 1 second slow transition between flight modes which is fine for gliders but power aerobatics wants the option to have instant mode changes.

The next software upgrade ver 1.37 is due for release any day now, it has been in testing with users for a couple of months, the current version is 1.26. The main change is to include shift select for the North American market. We had heard initially that it included expo per flight mode but I hear now that was a false rumour, but Mpx is working on this as so many people have asked for it. The software upgrades come free over the internet, all you need to do is buy the cable to connect to your PC.

If I did not have the Mpx 4000 I would buy an Evo in preference to a 9Z or PCM10, accepting that the Evo is marginally less capable in some extremes but IMO a much nicer radio to program and of course 12 fully working channels is a lot more than a 9Z can offer.

If you have any specific questions about the Evo I will be happy to try and answer them.

H

mick15 07-27-2004 03:37 AM

I have been using the EVO for most of the summer, I fly jets. I flew them originally on my 9Z which I still own, I had no end of trouble with the 9 locking out but only in the jets, I use the 9 for pattern and helis for which it performs well.

During the middle of 2003 I purchased a 10X to use in the jets, this I have to say cured the problem of the radio continually going into failsafe, I subsequently sold the 10X and replaced it with an EVO 12 because I found the JR such an awful thing to program compared to the 9 plus, it has no external model memory.

I agree with Harry the 12 has its limitations, the trims are difficult to find and I miss the versatility of the 9Z's flight conditions, though having said that how much of this stuff is fashion gimmicks and how much is really necessary. After all people used to fly very successfully with just two sticks!

I'm at present flying a King Cat at 200mph plus with an IPD receiver on PPM and not had one glitch and believe me I would know, also the failsafe is in the RX not sent by the TX.

M

ChuckA 07-27-2004 06:18 AM

I have been flying an Evo 9 for a year now and will never go back to any of the Asian radios. I fly sailplanes and most computer radios will do all I really need so my choice is based on the feel and balance of the transmitter and ease of programming. I ordered the Evo as soon as it was available. Took a year to come and was well worth the wait. I especially dislike the clunky feel and balance of the Futaba, JR, and Hitec transmitters I have owned. I also really liked the feel and balance of the Airtronics Infinity I owned but even that fell short of the Multiplex Cockpit that I have been using for my Nostalgia and RES models. I liked the feel and balance of the Cockpit even better than the Evo and would still be using it today if it had even one free mix. Multiplex programming methods are far superior to anything else on the market once you get over the first step. Prior experience with Asian radios is the biggest handicap in learning to program the Evo. Multiplex programming methods are so logical! Not like the VCR remote programming methods used by most other manufacturers. I just received my second Evo and both my Cockpit transmitters are now for sale.

ozextra62 07-27-2004 07:17 AM

I have been using an Evo 9 with synth module for about 3 months and I can't see myself with any other TX. I have to agree with other Evo users in that the hardest thing about programming the Evo is de-programming yourself after using an Asian TX, but with people like Harry.C to help it doesn't take too long.

davey 07-27-2004 08:56 AM

Thank you all. This is exactly what I am looking for. An initial look at the programming confirms what you have said above. It wasn't a big deal for me having worked with programmable logic controllers in an industrial plant. The Multiplex seems to have the same logical approach to things. (select output device and program back to input). Thanks for the comments on feel and balance, this is the thing I don't have access to.

I much appreciate the feedback.