RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   servo extension wiring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/2046138-servo-extension-wiring.html)

rlarkin70 08-02-2004 10:58 AM

servo extension wiring

hi all-
just wondering if there is any harm in using servo extensions using not-braided (ie. solid) 22AWG wire. I have a supply of this stuff (twisted pair telecom cable) and was going to just cut and solder the extension in place. I know braided wire is a more efficient conductor, but will there be a noticeable difference in a 20-24" extension?
thanks!
-ron

JoeAirPort 08-02-2004 11:53 AM

RE: servo extension wiring

ORIGINAL: rlarkin70

hi all-
just wondering if there is any harm in using servo extensions using not-braided (ie. solid) 22AWG wire. I have a supply of this stuff (twisted pair telecom cable) and was going to just cut and solder the extension in place. I know braided wire is a more efficient conductor, but will there be a noticeable difference in a 20-24" extension?
thanks!
-ron
I would NOT use solid wire. The mult-stranded wire is much more flexible. The solid is more inclined to break after being bent several times. The only time you would want to use solid is if you know it will not move at all. That's not likely to happen inside a model airplane pulling 10 g's. The stuff is cheap so buy the correct wire. Good question though.

PS: Welcome to RCU if you're new here.

rlarkin70 08-03-2004 12:03 AM

you're right, that makes sense. i was coming at it more from a connection point-of-view, ie. is the signal and voltage reaching the servo going to be affected. of course, it matters a lot more if NO signal is reaching the servo! ie. a broken wire turns a fun day into a "what the...?" day. so stranded it is...i appreciate the input.
and thanks, yes, I am new to RCU. =) I am enjoying the forum and the responses, and hopefully I can give back as well.
-ron

JL1 08-05-2004 07:42 AM

I agree with JoeAirPort, solid wire is very susceptible to breakage from vibration. It is particularly prone to breakage where the insulation is stripped. If there is even the slightest "nick" or compression where your strippers cut the insulation it will break at a future date.

voyager_663rd 08-05-2004 06:50 PM

And then, is it better to crimp or solder?

mstroh3961 08-05-2004 07:25 PM

SOLDER!

mstroh3961 08-05-2004 07:25 PM

double post

voyager_663rd 08-05-2004 07:45 PM

heard you the first time Mark. :-)

mstroh3961 08-05-2004 08:10 PM

DOH!