RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Digital Servo Burn In? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/2063295-digital-servo-burn.html)

DTB 08-07-2004 02:46 PM

Digital Servo Burn In?

Hi everyone, I have been flying for a while and only used analog servos. I recently purchased my first digital servos (HS-5645MG). I have a few question to those that can help.

1). What is "Servo Run In (Burn In)? NEVER HEARD OF THIS
2). Why should it be done?
3). How is the "Run In" or "Burn In" accomplished?
4). Can I use my Futana 9C servo cycler mode to do the "Run In"?
5). How long to cycle them?
6). Should I do this on a regular basis?

Thanks for any advice...:)
DTB

dirtybird 08-09-2004 03:01 PM

RE: Digital Servo Burn In?

ORIGINAL: DTB

Hi everyone, I have been flying for a while and only used analog servos. I recently purchased my first digital servos (HS-5645MG). I have a few question to those that can help.

DTB

Digital servos have a new set of electronics that have not proven as reliable as the standard servo.
In electronics parts that fail usually do so in the first few hours of operation. Burn in is a period of time to give those parts a time to fail prior to use where the failure would destroy other things.
Your 9C radio should work quite nicely to perform this burn in.
I would set the radio up and let it work the servos until the batterry runs down then charge the radio up and repeat the cycle at least once. By this time you should have found any servo that fails and have a good handle on how long your radio will last on a charge. Be sure to extend your transmitter antenna fully while you do this.

DTB 08-09-2004 08:07 PM

Ok, so basically setup the plane and with the servos installed. Install a fully charge battery and set the Tx to cycle mode and let the cycler move the servos until the Rx battery gets low.

What you are trying to accomplish basically is to put the servos to use on the ground and try to let a faulty servo die on the ground instead of the air. Hence Run In (Break In)?

Correct?

Thanks
Derrick

Geistware 08-10-2004 05:18 AM

These are all good questions. I will try to answer them in one statement. All servo installations should be run in especially digitals, unless you have a way of checking and adjusting the servos for binding. Then run in may not be needed. Digitals have a much narrower dead band than analogs and come up to full power sooner. A binding analog will still leave you with plenty of power to fly many flights. A binding digital will run your battery pack down quickly. My first plane with digitals I had 6 of them installed. I could connect a digital amp meter to the pack and see that as the controls moved, the current was all over the place. I used my 9C in cycle mode. After some adjustments, I went from 1.6 amps to 0.8 amps as the average draw.

DTB

dirtybird 08-10-2004 02:36 PM

Ok, so basically setup the plane and with the servos installed. Install a fully charge battery and set the Tx to cycle mode and let the cycler move the servos until the Rx battery gets low.

What you are trying to accomplish basically is to put the servos to use on the ground and try to let a faulty servo die on the ground instead of the air. Hence Run In (Break In)?

Correct?

Thanks
Derrick
Exactly

DTB 08-10-2004 10:01 PM

Thanks a lot.