RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba Sticks, made by the devil? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/2078648-futaba-sticks-made-devil.html)

Freakazoid 08-12-2004 01:25 PM

Futaba Sticks, made by the devil?

Hi all,

Im just wondering, are there more people that have to endure the torture devices made by futaba? [:@] Im talking about the tips of the control sticks. Theire most horrable but why? To dig into a millimeter of flesh so you have "more gripp"? Both my skysport and Fieldforce 6 have the same tips.

I mean, look at it:
http://thiscrapis.mine.nu/Evil.jpg

How does this in any way contribute to the comfort of controling your model... I mean.. Its got teeth! [&:] Its more comfortable to just screw them off and controll stuff on bare threads.

Does anyone know if there are some stick heads available that are not razortipped?

snaproll38 08-12-2004 01:48 PM

RE: Futaba Sticks, made by the devil?

read you loud and clear on that one. after one flight i cant feel my thumbs

Freakazoid 08-12-2004 01:53 PM

Its like having 2 gerbils chewing your thumbmeat. But I just have to put up with em I guess, I havent seen any other tips for sale. Maybe I should just shove em against a grinder to get rid of the teeth, but Im afraid I might ruin them, and then I have nothing.

ZAGNUT 08-12-2004 01:58 PM

a grinder is a bit harsh...

unscrew them and knock the sharp points off with a fine jewelers file or sanding block

dave

daven 08-12-2004 02:06 PM

I love them.

Really helps when its hot and your hands are a little sweaty.

Freakazoid 08-12-2004 02:15 PM

My point was that I think its kinda stupid to have sticks this jagged. I think having sticks with teeth for sweaty fingers is a bit overdone.

And yes, a jeweler file did the trick. :) Much better.
http://thiscrapis.mine.nu/Better.jpg

Primodus 08-12-2004 02:21 PM

Funny thing, I never noticed until I read this post. I guess the fun of flying had me immune to the pain of the sticks.:D

Freakazoid 08-12-2004 02:28 PM

Same here. :) The thrill of flying overwhelmed the teeth digging into my flesh, untill I one day actually started bleeding.[&:]

Primodus 08-12-2004 02:30 PM

Now that's flying![sm=RAINFRO.gif]

ChuckAuger 08-12-2004 02:38 PM

I've got callouses on my thumbs so I never noticed.

MHawker 08-12-2004 03:40 PM

As soon as I stop the bleeding, I'll read this post.....

3DFanatic 08-12-2004 03:46 PM

I love Futaba's gimbals. The grip is excellent. I want to get new ones for my 9C though that offer even more grip though...

Freakazoid 08-12-2004 03:53 PM

Excellent grip, sure, but does it have to be meatpiercing teeth? Why not a comfy lump of supergripp rubber right on the top of it.

Bax 08-12-2004 03:57 PM

Hmmmm. I KNOW I'm very, very predjudiced, but if you're getting dents in your thumbs from the grips on the sticks, you just might be squeezing too tightly. I know some people who almost squeeze the sticks right through the back of the transmitter, they're squeezing so hard.

It only takes gentle pressure to move the sticks. Caress the model through the sky. Squeezing the sticks only jams the model around. Lift your thumbs off the sticks a few times per flight. You'll quickly see if the model's trimmed, and you'll also have to relax a bit. If you're nervous, it's even more important to lift the fingers off the stick. If you can't relax your touch for a second or so, you may just want to reconsider what kind of model you have. The more squirrely the model, the more important it is to have a light touch on the transmitter.

bax

Freakazoid 08-12-2004 04:09 PM

Im not pressing hard, but moving the sticks in a circulair motion all the time kinda starts chewing and scraping your thumbs.

Lynx 08-12-2004 04:29 PM

You just have to develop a light tough with the sticks is all, which is good because muscles tensed down don't respond as fast as lightly exerted ones. If it actually hurts, you're pressing too hard. The nice sharp points are a good way to teach people to break bad habbits.

Freakazoid 08-12-2004 04:34 PM

Im telling you, im not pressing hard. I simply guide the sticks to where they need to be. The teeth just keep scratching my skin repeatedly, and in time even the softest touch will get irritated. How would you like it if your cars gearshift was covered with thumbtags? After grinding it down a little, its just perfect. :)

Crash90 08-12-2004 04:51 PM

They do make aftermarket ends. Where did i see them? It was the same place that I ordered my chrome fuel dots. Darn. I cant remember[>:]

50+AirYears 08-12-2004 05:35 PM

I've never noticed any problem with the teeth, but then I pinch the sticks between thumb and forefinger. Seems to make the planes respond a little smoother. My main complaint is how the stick ends always loosen up and moove on you.

KINGX 08-12-2004 05:43 PM

It is wrong to press on the sticks with all your force. There are other brands around that have flat stick tops and believe me, you will lose grip of them sooner or later....

Freakazoid 08-12-2004 05:47 PM

Again with the pressing, im NOT pressing to hard....

Shortman 08-12-2004 05:55 PM

You just need to be a man and get some callouses[8D].I weight lift daily and I have about 6 callouses on each hand. That, or play video games untill your hands blister.

carrellh 08-12-2004 08:53 PM

These guys advertise on RCU
http://www.qualityrcproducts.com/
They sell 3 types of transmitter knobs.
I bought a set of the 'joystick' type for my 6XAS.
They have 'thumb flyer' and 'finger flyer' versions as well.
They are expensive but I really like them.

fiveoboy01 08-13-2004 02:46 AM

I like them. Great grip, and I have yet to experience any pain or anything of the sort. I think you guys are wussies:)

I'm not sure a rubber tip would do much good if your thumb started sweating.

Freakazoid 08-13-2004 03:42 AM

When sharp teeth dig into your thumbs and make it bleed, youre not per definition a wussy...

Anyway, This is what I need:
http://www.qualityrcproducts.com/GRAPHICS/knob_1-2.gif

Thanks for the site. Ill have to check about the USA shipping to Europe though, but if thats anywhere decent, im sure to get a set. :D