RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   anything wrong with buying a used transmitter? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/2123480-anything-wrong-buying-used-transmitter.html)

rob6894 08-27-2004 08:26 AM

anything wrong with buying a used transmitter?

I just bought a used transmitter for my plane use the guy that owned it. Told me it is in excellent condition. Is their anything I should do to test the TX besides range testing before I use it?

Best,
Robert

dirtybird 08-27-2004 02:07 PM

RE: anything wrong with buying a used transmitter?

You will never know for sure how the previous owner treated it.

canavanbob 08-27-2004 02:56 PM

Dirtybird,
You could say the same thing about a new transmitter and with a new transmitter you have to worry about infant mortality.

joeb102072 08-27-2004 03:00 PM

Depending on what type of TX it is there are some options. My brother and I bought 2 Futaba 9 CAPs used and we sent them to Futaba Tech services. They bench tested them and did all the appropriate diagnostic shecks to make sure they are in working order and then shipped them back to us. $ 65.00 not a bad piece of insurance.

rob6894 08-27-2004 03:28 PM

canavanbob, who I just purchased this from, offered to send it in to manufacturer to get checked out and install the latest software update and then have the manufacturer send it my way as long as it was ok with the manufacture. So I am now feeling good and canavanbob seems like a good guy.

Best,
Rob

GRANT ED 08-27-2004 08:56 PM

Can't get a much better deal than that.

dirtybird 08-28-2004 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: canavanbob

Dirtybird,
You could say the same thing about a new transmitter and with a new transmitter you have to worry about infant mortality.
Yes but then you could just turn on a new transmitter and run it for awhile to get over the infant mortality

aeajr 08-28-2004 09:39 PM

Buying a used transmitter is like buying a used anything. Probably fine, but maybe not.

You pays your money and you takes your chances!!

laryboy 08-29-2004 12:50 PM

nothing wrong with buying used.......signed larry boy....used car salesman.

olivier 08-29-2004 03:30 PM

Hi,

The classical "surprise" when buying a second hand transmitter is that the battery isn't lasting very long. Typical for Nicad-batteries that are "worn-out" after 4 or 5 years of service. And yes, probably some will say their battery is lasting now for more than x years without problem. Just consider them lucky.

Eventually check any moving-wires soldered to the potmeters of the sticks (typical for Futaba, but not really a typical failure).
Eventually also check for "black-wire desease" on the black wire of the battery pack. That's a more common problem : corrosion due to whatever electro-chemical magic on the cupper wires.

Good luck, happy flights,
Olivier

Geistware 08-29-2004 09:09 PM

My 9C was purchased used and has worked great!

F-16WpnsTech 08-30-2004 01:41 PM

While we're on the subject....I bought my Futaba 6Xas used. I have no doubt the guy I bought it from treated it like royalty. Anyway, where can I send it to have it checked out for that "insurance"?? Thanks.

Highflight 08-30-2004 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: F-16WpnsTech

While we're on the subject....I bought my Futaba 6Xas used. I have no doubt the guy I bought it from treated it like royalty. Anyway, where can I send it to have it checked out for that "insurance"?? Thanks.
You could send it back to the Futaba service center, but if it's out of warranty, I would better suggest Radio South.
http://www.radiosouthrc.com/

Highflight

ZAGNUT 08-30-2004 03:09 PM

something not visible is a damaged output transistor in the rf deck. happens when the transmitter is powered up for long periods with the antenna removed or collapsed, some radios are more prone to failure than others. but if the radio is being sent in for a check-up they would no doubt find this and fix it.

dave

bullet65 09-04-2004 10:46 PM

well if canavanbob is going to all that much trouble then it probably will be ok.i think when you have it checked they also send back a printout on what they found.i bought a futaba 8 channel last year used as i was new to rc and loved the thing.but then as i became more aware of things you should do,learning in other words,i was going to send it in at the end of flying season then i crashed my se due to tx failure.leason is if you buy 2nd hand,and i would do again,send it in to be checked.

WhtBronco 09-05-2004 11:05 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me. If it's sent in for a check up it should be fine. I dropped my JR662 before I had ever flown it. So I sent it to Horizon to be checked out. For just under $20 they sent it back to me saying it was just fine. Maybe a waste of money, but it made me feel better about using it in my new plane.

FWIW, I bought the radio second hand here on RCU. The Tx had been used primarily for trainer cord service. The rest of the system had never been unpacked. It has worked great for just over a year now. Course with my new 8103 the 662 will now be retired.