RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Just joined club. Should I change my GWS receivers ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/2267992-just-joined-club-should-i-change-my-gws-receivers.html)

Warbird Brian 10-19-2004 12:25 PM

Just joined club. Should I change my GWS receivers ?

Hello,

After 5 months of solo park flying, I have just joined a R/C Club and will soon be in the air with other planes for the first time.

In one of my planes, I am using a GWS Pico Type receiver. I'm not sure, but I think that it is single conversion ? Should I change it to a dual conversion before flying with other's at the same time ?

Thank, Brian

ZAGNUT 10-19-2004 01:03 PM

RE: Just joined club. Should I change my GWS receivers ?

at least go and check if there really is a problem. if these are only in slow flyers then a few small hits here and there might not matter much. anything bigger/faster and i wouldn't even trust these receivers when flying alone.

and if you're handy with a pic programmer and soldering iron you might try this modification: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bhabbott/decoder.html

dave

ZAGNUT 10-19-2004 01:06 PM

and please tell me how you were able to upload such a large avatar

dave

glowplug 10-19-2004 09:07 PM

Your reciever won't cause anybody else harm....it will only glitch your plane, so you don't have to worry about other people's planes....(OPP?) :D

The FMA M5 is an excellent micro, dual conversion Rx. My buddy also uses an Rx from Berg that he really likes.

Time Pilot 10-20-2004 12:36 AM

I've flown my GWS 4 channel naro with 3 other flyers in the air once and didn't experience any glitches. Have flown many times with one other in the air with no problems.

Your experience may vary. Take your plane out there, get the frequency pin, put it on the ground (and leave it there) and see if you get any interference.

Not a guarantee, but at least an indication of what to expect.

aeajr 10-20-2004 09:04 AM

I would say give it a try.

Glitches and hits don't necessarily come from other radios. Some fields are very "noisy" with stray radio signals that can bother our receivers. Power lines, radio towers, phone systems can all throw off stray signals that can bother us.

Just be mindful of the range limitations of your receiver, which I believe is rated at 500 feet. As you get further away, it will be more prone to glitch. Or, if you get very close to someone else's radio, their signal can overwhelm it.

If you decide to replace it, I have had very good luck with the Hitec receivers. The Hitec electron 6 is my favoriate with the Hitec micro 555 a close second. Small, pretty light and solid as a rock. I use them with my Hitec and my Futaba radios.

Warbird Brian 10-20-2004 10:13 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will give it a try.

Zagnut, I don't know how the avtar got so big, I just loaded it and there it was. We are DEVO !! ;)

Time Pilot 10-20-2004 12:44 PM

Maybe figuring out glitching is more of a black art. An area many fly in my area has a jungle of antennae about 200 yards off and I've never had a glitch. One flyer noticed a glitch in his GWS RX if he flew directly above one of his friends Tx though.

Keeping your Rx away from others Tx is likely a good precaution anyway.

laryboy 10-24-2004 09:33 AM

single conversion systems have nothing to do with glitches or noise at your field.single conversion reicevers were subject to a interference signal being caused the radio signals from 2 other flyers radio signals mixing together and creating a 3rd signal that can pass into your reciever. there are many many posts on this subject including the math formulas.