RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Switching wires on a Cirrus servo? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/2434981-switching-wires-cirrus-servo.html)

rcaial 12-15-2004 12:20 AM

Switching wires on a Cirrus servo?

A friend of mine asked me if I knew which wires to switch on a Cirrus servo to make it work with Airtronics. I assume he meant an Airtronics receiver. He said it has black, red and white wires. I had no idea. Does anyone know how this should work??

Thanks,
K.C. (rcaial)

JohnBuckner 12-15-2004 02:15 AM

RE: Switching wires on a Cirrus servo?

With those servos the Red is the Positive, Black is negative and white is signal. However before you start changing things around for an Airtronics Rx it will be neccessary to know if this Rx uses the old style plug (black with three splines) or the newer Airtronics Z plug (blue with no splines). They are not interchangeable because when Airtronics changed over they reversed the positive and negative leads.

John

rcaial 12-15-2004 04:58 PM

Thanks for the info John, I found out that it's the older Airtronics with the plug being black with 3 splines.

K.C.

JohnBuckner 12-15-2004 10:14 PM

OK this is what you would do to run those Cirrus servos on a Airtonics Rx that uses the old style Airtronics plug. The most reliable way is to either buy a set of new "old style" Airtronics plugs (black) with pigtails or cut off a set from old Airtronics servos. Hold one of plugs straight up in front of your face by the pigtail and with the splines towards you. Some of these plugs have tiny numbers from 1 to 3 over the respective conductor. #1 is the one on the left when held in this position and this is Signal, #2 is the center pin and this is Negative, #3 is the one on the right and this is Positive, red and the only colored wire.

Not all the plugs have the little numbers but no never mind, when its held in the position I described above its the same: Left is Signal, Center is Negative and right is Positive. Following this its a simple matter to splice the Cirrus wires to the right position for the Airtronics Rx I.e. The Cirrus white goes to the #1 left position of the Airtronics plug, The Cirrus black goes to the Airtonics #2 center and the Cirrus Red goes to the #3 right position of the old style Airtronics plug.

Once you have all three wires identified just splice and solder the pig tails and shrink wrap done. There are other ways such as crimping with the specified tool and new plug hardware but this can get expensive on a one time basis. Its even possible to just reverse the positive and negative on the cirrus plug depending on which one (They have used two distinctly different ones over the years that I am aware of) and shaving it to fit into the Airtonics Rx and it works. However you will not have indexing to prevent reverse plugging and without the the centerpin positive that is the industry standard now. Plugging in backwards is going to destroy some electronics.

John