RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba 9 CAP frontplate paint trouble! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/2581183-futaba-9-cap-frontplate-paint-trouble.html)

Mickeymoo 01-25-2005 12:49 AM

Futaba 9 CAP frontplate paint trouble!

I anyone else with a Futaba 9CAP radio having trouble with the paint on the front plate (front plate with silver paint). Today I got the radio out of the transmitter case where it as been since October to use it with the computer. I noticed that the paint on the front mostly on the lower left side (where your hand rests while using the radio) was starting to lift up[:o]. Pattern looks a little like a spider web. Obviously fuel has gotten under the paint. Like anyone else I get fuel on the radio at times but nothing out of the ordinary. Usually wipe it down after flying. Why didn't futaba use a more fuel resistant paint on this radio!? I have never seen or heard of this before! Called them up and they said, yeah its fuel damage but the one year warranty is up. The front plate is $16 plus shipping. Not much sense in changing it, if the new one has the same paint. Anyone else experience this problem?

Geistware 01-25-2005 10:44 AM

RE: Futaba 9 CAP frontplate paint trouble!

I sent mine in for a tune up last month and I have the same problem on the right side where my hand rests. They replaced the cover at no charge.

bps 01-25-2005 11:46 PM

This is troubling news. Why would a "top of the line radio" experience this type of problem? I have been considering the 9CAPS. But this is just another problem it seems.
JEB[:o]

tande 01-26-2005 12:37 AM

Mickeymoo-- Welcome to the club!!---Yep mine too & several at our field---Looks like CRAP! & it will slowly spread like cancer, my entire "Chromed" surface looks like I will at 113 yrs. old. I'm NOT convinced that it is fuel related, or that it has ANYTHING to do with the way we handle our radios---Oh/Well it's only a "Futaba"---

Mickeymoo 01-26-2005 12:37 AM

ORIGINAL: bps

This is troubling news. Why would a "top of the line radio" experience this type of problem? I have been considering the 9CAPS. But this is just another problem it seems.
JEB[:o]

bps,

I wouldn't let this steer you away from the 9C. Yes programing is not as simple as I'd like and I wish it had upgradeable firmware and more memory built in (I mean come on! $70 bucks for a Futaba 64k CAMPAC!!... you can find CAMPACS cheap on the net). Oh yeah and I wish my 9C had the features of the 9C Super. OK I'd settle for the model timer.:D I would be nice to know how much time I had on a model at the end of the season. All in all I think I would still buy the 9C again. When I bought mine 2 years ago I wanted to stick with Futaba because all my gear (receivers and servos) were Futaba or Hitec so I didn't even look at JR. Also the radio was only $259.00 by itself at servocity.com. I think the 9C was the most bang for the buck when I bought mine. Any lower and you loose a lot of features, any higher and the price really climbs. As far as the paint goes... I would just try to keep the front plate wiped down as much as possible. In my case I think it was the fuel on my hands because the paint is lifting were I grip the radio on the left side. The radio works fine its just cosmetic. Still I can't believe Futaba didn't use a better fuel proof coating on the front of this radio. I've never had, heard of or seen another radio do this @#% [:'(] I'll probably just send the radio in for a check up like Geistware and hope that they replace it with out charge.

Mickeymoo 01-26-2005 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: tande

Mickeymoo-- Welcome to the club!!---Yep mine too & several at our field---Looks like CRAP! & it will slowly spread like cancer, my entire "Chromed" surface looks like I will at 113 yrs. old. I'm NOT convinced that it is fuel related, or that it has ANYTHING to do with the way we handle our radios---Oh/Well it's only a "Futaba"---

Nice description there tande:D. I don't know what else would do it but the fuel, but I'm not completely convinced either. I guess mine will spread like yours, but for now its just on the left side. Mostly at the bottom were you palm covers the plate if you fly with your thumbs. I also have a little further up just to the left of the throttle gimble. Whats strange is that I sware this wasn't there in early November which is the last time I flew. The second half of October and November I was only flying electric. Late November I cycled the batteries and stored it in the case. Two days ago I get it out and... what the @#$ is happened to my radio? Very disappointed in Futaba. Called them up the other day to ask them "what's up with this?" and all they could do is blame me for not keeping the fuel off the radio[:@].

XJet 01-26-2005 03:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Mickeymoo
Called them up the other day to ask them "what's up with this?" and all they could do is blame me for not keeping the fuel off the radio[:@].
How are they going to explain it of glider pilots start encountering the same problem I wonder :-)

tande 01-26-2005 07:19 AM

Excellent!!!

bps 01-26-2005 07:26 AM

Mic,
Yes I quess that trade offs must be made. I have a Hitec Eclipse with Spectra and it is a very nice radio. Problem is in some of the advanced features and MODEL MEMORY. Hitec are you hearing this? It would be sooo simple to use a flash card or similar device to store more models. Why only have 7! I quess Futaba is doing the same thing though at $70 for another Campac and ??!!?? $179 for the Futaba TX Senthisizer. I remember some years ago we just would purchase all of our radios on the same freq. and not worry about it. I think that we as modlers and consumers have come to expect a lot from our hobby industry leaders and Futaba belongs at the top of that list, so a little problem like this becomes huge in our minds. Easy for me to say because I have not ploped down my hard earned dough for the Futaba that the plating will not stay on!

JEB:D:eek:

Geistware 01-26-2005 08:34 AM

I am not into estetics but functionality. The way my 9C looks has nothing to do with how it operates.

JohnBuckner 01-26-2005 09:30 AM

This is not a new problem with Futaba at least on some of their models. The old Conquests would do exactly the same thing and typically occured with folks that were very active flyers not part timers. The cheap silver paint just was not up to the fuel residue from your hands. Its amazing you cannot buy Wrinkel finsh paint that is as effective.

John

Mickeymoo 01-26-2005 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok... here is a picture of my transmitter so everyone can see what we are talking about. It's not too bad, mostly just the lower left side. The radio is 3 years old and this has occurred in the last 2 months. Wonder what it will look like by this summer[:'(]. Oh well Agni it is only cosmetic and maybe Futaba will replace it when I send it in for a checkup.

Geistware 01-26-2005 01:47 PM

Look like mine except my first plant was gold and the new one is silver

rajul 02-12-2005 08:34 PM

I wonder if applying a protective coating e.g. car silicone wax on the chrome will prevent fuel attack ?

Dan767 02-12-2005 11:36 PM

Mike,
After awhile the silicone will eventually attack the plastic, making it much worse than it is. I would just use something mild to clean it when you're done. I have a 9 Super, so I'll keep my eye out for this.

Flyfalcons 02-12-2005 11:54 PM

Mine is starting to do this as well, though the radio still works fine. For $16 I'll eventually replace the front plate but until then I'll keep flying with it. My radio is two years old now.

jsn 02-13-2005 12:41 AM

Mine delaminated also... I ended up replacing the front plate myself, it's not that hard BUT if you don't want to pull every screw, Gimbel, switch and PC board out of your radio don't bother trying... send it to hobby services.

Flyfalcons (and others thinking about the DIY route)
When I spoke with hobby services I asked if the switch label stickers were on the new face plate... he said yes... well there not. I managed to pull mine off with only a small tear on one corner. I used a very thin double side tape called "Heat Tape" to reattach...we used this stuff at work to make on the fly splices on HUGE roll's of paper at 1000 FPM line speed's... I think it will hold:D anyway I placed the label on the tape and traced around it using a sharp hobby knife then just stuck it back down. the other thing that's stuck on is the small plate the covers the LED's... used the same heat tape here. I'd bet there not that much and had I known I would have just ordered new stickers and LED cover plate.

John

rajul 02-14-2005 07:15 AM

Probably an easy solution for Futaba is to do away with the chrome layer in the susceptible areas, like in the 7C. I wonder if Futaba can supply replacement faceplates without chrome ? Just solid plastic, perhaps pigmented ?

tande 02-14-2005 12:55 PM

I don't get it!---The automotive industry, both OEM & aftermarket, have been "Chrome Plating" plastic for years!!---

JohnBuckner 02-14-2005 01:38 PM

Very true Tande but the majority of auto drivers do not tend to get a misting of nitro laced fuel and exhaust spray on their plastics and usually do not continually rub them with oily nitro laden fingers. I suspect the real situation is simply paint formulas and of course that is a cost driven selection by the manufacturers. Both Hitec and Airtronics as well as some selected models of Futaba have all worked well in this environment.

Perhaps it something as simple as the use of a polyurathane based silver or gold or whatever paint?

tande 02-14-2005 08:23 PM

I'm simply asking; How about "JR" or "Hitec"?---Do they have this problem?---

rajul 02-14-2005 08:26 PM

Tande, the JR 9X has chrome on the faceplate too but have never heard of any complaint of peeling or delamination so far in the forums. Just an FYI

tande 02-15-2005 08:36 AM

rajul, THANK YOU!---I rest my case!---

46u 02-15-2005 01:11 PM

I will tell you I will NEVER buy another Futaba product as I have had more then one problem with there products and so called customer service. I am sure others will disagree but when a company leaves a bad taste in my mouth I never go back, particularly when it is more then once! [8D]

BR289 02-23-2005 04:20 PM

Unfortunately, when a problem arises, they dont seem to willing to admit there is one. I sure hope mine doesnt start coming off! I am a "clean freak" and I cant stand that slippery feeling on my radio ( or anything else), and if mine starts to come off, rest assured I will make a federal case out of it! Too much money to spend on something that looks like crap in my opinion.....I would not be happy with the way a few of those cases looked at all!