RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Buy 7C or 6EXA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/2584873-buy-7c-6exa.html)

pnslcs 01-25-2005 11:35 PM

Buy 7C or 6EXA

I am going to make a complete radio system purchase. It will either be a 7C or a 6EXA but I do not know which one I should get. Any help/info on how to make the decision would be greatly appreciated. I currently do not fly helis.

Patrick

MerlinL14 01-26-2005 04:02 AM

RE: Buy 7C or 6EXA

I currently have 2 EXA's, however, given the choice again I would go for the 7C. The EXA's have everything that I need ATM, but I will surley grow out of them ;).

JoeAirPort 01-26-2005 12:53 PM

That whole radio thing is always a pain (scam). You want to save money to get only what you need. But as the disease progresses you end up buying bigger and bigger planes, and then you need a 9C. That's what happened to me. I love my 6EXA but I just bought a 9C to setup my giants properly. I'm not sure what extra the 7C gives you over the 6EXA but on either of them I'm sure they left out something that you will need later. That's just the nature of these radios in the RC market.

P.S. I forgot to leave you a really useful link to compare Futaba radios. Be sure to save it as a favorite.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html

FLYBOY 01-26-2005 01:20 PM

You can use a radio for 10 to 15 years. Get the best one you can afford. You will probably never outgrow the 7C unless you get into some huge extravagent planes, but that is the the least you should buy if you plan on staying in the hobby for any length of time. It will do you well for a long long time and is cheap when you think about how many years it will last. I used my 7UHP for almost 15 years before going to the 9C.

piper_chuck 01-26-2005 07:56 PM

What kind of planes are you going to fly for the next 2-4 years? If you think it's going to be fairly typical 4-6 channel sport planes, the 6EXA will do everying you need. If you outgrow it in the 3-5 year range, the next model up will have even more bells and whistles than the current one. OTOH, if you think you're going to do 3D, large planes, helis, or competition aerobatics, go for the 7C. I've got the 6EXA and I think it's great. There are 2 things I do wish it had. The first is a timer, but it's not a big deal to look at my watch. The second is that dual rates are only on aileron and elevator. Wish it was on rudder too. I think you get 3 channel dual rates when you go up to the 7C. For me, the extra $ was not worth the two extra features I would use.

Flyfalcons 01-26-2005 08:00 PM

I've never heard someone regret buying the better radio, but many people regret going for a lesser radio.

Gringo Flyer 01-26-2005 10:20 PM

I really like my 7C. Seeing as I dont see going beyond 40 to 90 sized 4 to 6 channel planes I cant see ever needing something more. The only thing I wish it had was trim on a slaved channel like for setting up dual elevator servos that go in opposite directions. If you buy the 7cap it has digital servos and a PCM receiver. If you proce those two things alone you have bought the radio. I think the 7cap is one of the best deals for the money you can find in a radio.

jneesy 01-26-2005 11:21 PM

drop the jingle on the 9c seems like alot now but you wont regret it

compute42 01-29-2005 01:55 AM

I had a 6EXA as my first radio, had it about 8 months, and then I got a used 9CAP right when the 9CAPS were coming out. Buy a used (not abbused) 9CAP, my guess is you can get the TX for less than $200.

JoeAirPort 01-29-2005 10:22 AM

Get a 9C Super at Bruckner Hobbies for $300 new. Offer them $280 like I did, they were ok with it. Another $40 and you have an 8 channel rx with crystal. It's a great radio.

Heritage rider 01-30-2005 07:44 PM

Had both in my 1 year back in the hobby. Abandoned the 6EXA in 3 months. No matter what your skill level, get the 7C (unless you KNOW you will fly simple, trainer and intermediate planes from now on). (BTW, flying in cirles and landing is just fine. Lots of people do and enjoy it a lot). If you think you may want to go to more complex planes, get the 9C. I would like to be a lot better pilot than I am but probably will not get muuch past a good intermediate level. Still wish I had bought the 9C for many reasons. If you want to get the 7C, I'll sell you mine and go get a 9C.

Jim

cloudancer03 02-01-2005 03:28 PM

I own both systems and I recently bought the higly book on the programming of the 9C and all I will say is when you learn how to truly use the 9C and its features you wont want less!! I just built a plane requiring differential ailerons.. plugged into each channel and bingo ..done..then I thought maybe some flapperons to tighten the loop (3D) programmed it in and now its easy..need to subtrim your servos.. you get the picture .get the 9C.. I like the 6EXA inasmuch as its computerized.I am sorry I didnt go one step further and get the 7..but I really believe I have all the features I will ever need.. oh and with the 9??no diode to frig around with..my 6 is fun with simple 4 channel set ups..