RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Transmitter---no crystal (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/2590298-transmitter-no-crystal.html)

tucker1865 01-27-2005 01:19 PM

Transmitter---no crystal

I have a transmitter, Futaba T4YF FM with no crystal. I think it was used as a buddy box or not at all, looks new. I know it is illegal to change crystals but can I put a new crystal in and not have to send it to a service center. Can I just range check the radio. Thanks ****forgot to mention***** that it has a channel sticker on the back (round one at the top) for channel 18. Do I need to have this sent in or is it OK with a new 18 crystal.

famousdave 01-27-2005 01:28 PM

RE: Transmitter---no crystal

There is a good reason you will want to send it to a service center... law or no law (like really who is going to enforce it or find out if you have changed frequencies... ?) it is however common courtesy to send it in when changing freq's so that 1> you don't have radio problems... and 2> you don't have adjacent channel interference which will give other's radio problems.

The FCC's laws are pretty retarded, but our self-policing and following of that law makes sense.

I would never operate a radio on a frequency it wasn't tested and aligned for... I don't want to be responsible for shooting someone down.. do you??

Another benefit of testing is the factory will make sure everything works, update the software, replace the lithium battery if it has one,
and align the transmit module to make sure its in conformance. Money well spend IMO.

DP

DadsToysBG 01-27-2005 03:52 PM

If it is truly a buddy box it won't have the guts in the radio anyway. Dennis

tucker1865 01-27-2005 07:16 PM

Is there a service center on the west coast or do I have to send it to Futaba in Illinois. Thanks

laryboy 01-27-2005 09:51 PM

it is quite common to find a buddy box with all the hardware except the battery and xtal. i was surprised to find the frequency that the xmitter had been tuned to written inside the box.

famousdave 01-28-2005 09:08 AM

Tucker - ask your LHS... there may be a local guy who can do it for less. We have one here in AZ. If the radio is out of warranty and it only needs alignment / retune usually the local guys are fine. If it needs parts then its best to send it back to the mfg as most local guys can't get all the parts.

I have a JR radio I bought used in the shop getting its tune up as we speak!

DP

sfsjkid 01-28-2005 10:18 PM

If it was sold originally as a buddy box, it will most probably have most if not all the guts inside. I've only seen two that Futaba sold specifically as buddy boxes, they seemed to be factory rejects, with the channel sticker, crystal and possibly antenna removed. Voltmeter was still installed, pc board etc. I would think to save money, Futaba wouldn't have done it this way to make buddy boxes specifically. So, if my theory is right, even Futaba didn't think it was worth fixing to sell as a full fledged TX.

I think it prudent and commend you that you are considering having the radio checked. The plane you save may be your own at the very least, the plane you might shoot down may be worth thousands. If you were to buy a crystal, for ~$12, send it to Futaba or whomever for ~$8, then pay for the actual work, I'll hazard a guess at $35, return shipping, time lost, you might consider buying the whole system. At least thats what I would do. Currently, Tower has the 4YF w/4 servos, RX, battery pack, switch, charger, crystals, and misc. accessories for $129.95 plus a $10 gift certificate.

tucker1865 01-31-2005 04:58 PM

I forgot to mention that the radio has the round channel sticker on the back. Channel 18, so it had a crystal in it at one time. Does it still need to be sent to Futaba or can I just get a new crystal channel 18. Thanks

tucker1865 02-01-2005 05:18 PM

Do I still need to send this radio in for service if I put in a crystal the same as on the back of the radio. Thanks

tucker1865 02-03-2005 10:59 AM

Thanks for all the help..I'll send it in to be safe...One question, just so i'm smarter than when I started. If there is bleeding on someones radio, does it effect radios from the same mfg and on maybe two adjacent channels. Do you guys usually refrain from flying when someone you do not know is flying on a channel near yours. Just thought I'd ask, for my own protection. Dave and thanks again.