RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba S3001 oscillating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3214397-futaba-s3001-oscillating.html)

JimTrainor 07-30-2005 09:01 AM

Futaba S3001 oscillating

I have a futaba S3001 that has started oscilating when it centers, and occasionally hunts for center when just sitting doing nothing. It just seems have started doing this out of the blue. Further, it also occasionally has a delayed response to inputs. Move the stick and it will somethings do nothing for a fraction of second, then move.

I first noticed this after quick charging the battery. It peaked at around 5.3 volts. It was bad enough that I wouldn't fly the plane. I tried again after the battery was down to 4.8 volts and the problem was diminished but still noticable.

I've done some searching, and understand this is not uncommon with servos. Could be pot going bad, or the need for new grease on the gears to increase the damping a bit. Of maybe this servo is out-of-spec, or failing.

The other servers in the plane are also S3001 and they perform normally.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing?

The server is running the ailerons on a 40 size plane.

Edit: A replacement servo works fine, so the cable/receiver/transmitter can be ruled out.

LSP972 07-30-2005 07:57 PM

RE: Futaba S3001 oscillating

The pot (potentiometer) is probably shot. I lost a servo, a 3001 in fact, to this a week or so ago. Good thing I did a pre-flight...

TLH101 07-30-2005 08:00 PM

If it connected to an extention, see if you have a dirty contact on one end. An extention or Y-harness can also cause a bounce, or bad centering. Just went through this on a S9001. I had to replace the extension.

BillS 07-30-2005 08:03 PM

You might consider swapping the servo with the rudder servo and watching it. I have occasionally put a questionable component in a non-critical position.

Bill

JimTrainor 07-30-2005 08:03 PM

The servo is does use an extension. Although I've tried a new servo, also with the extension, and the problem has gone away, so I don't think it is the extension. Of course, it could be the servo's cable (or connector). I haven't ruled that out.

Can the potentiometer be replaced? Where is that part available? I can probably do the surgery if the part is available.

gjeffers 07-30-2005 10:02 PM

Hi Jim, i have just recently experienced a similar problem with my jr equipment, my rudder would shudder at random and my aileron would vibrate, i never had this problem untill i took the advise of a thousand threads and put a 1100 ma 6volt on my r700 rx and thats when it started and when i put my 4.8 back in, it hasnt done it again, so as simple as it is i wont use a 6v on this system again.

LSP972 07-31-2005 03:49 PM

Dunno if the pots are available. But unless you have absolutely nothing else to do, it would be cheaper to simply buy another servo. 3001s are not expensive.

JimTrainor 07-31-2005 04:11 PM

I'd fix out of curiosity more than anything else.