RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Is this silly? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3236510-silly.html)

I & C Tech 08-06-2005 07:06 AM

Is this silly?

Maybe it's a silly idea. Bordering on nit-picking maybe. Why don't servo designers find a better place to put the wire entry so that servos are easier to install? Are we to hung up on a traditional design?

ALbert.S 08-06-2005 08:16 AM

RE: Is this silly?

No the wire has to come out between the pieces of the case or else it would have to be put through a hole in the bottom and then you would have to un solder the wires everytime you wanted to service the servo The entire electronics can be built seperately and then the servo can be assembled without any soldering

smokingcrater 08-06-2005 09:58 PM

No the wire has to come out between the pieces of the case or else it would have to be put through a hole in the bottom
nope, how about out the bottom, just at the very edge. basically do what is done now, but instead of having a small notch on the side, notch the bottom. VERY few planes don't have any space below the servo, but basically all of them are a pain with the wire coming out the side.

I & C Tech 08-06-2005 11:22 PM

Thanks Crater,

My thoughts exactly. Thinking outside of the box. It isn't rocket science to figure out a better way for a wire to exit something. Heck, the new Hitec titanium geared servos even have some alternate way of mounting them. Something on the bottom of the case I believe. This proves the molds can be changed. :D

GRANT ED 08-07-2005 06:43 AM

I agree. I think it would be a good idea for servo manufactures to put different cutouts in the servo case so you can move the wire exit point if you want to.

SitNFly 08-07-2005 09:21 AM

I just wish Futaba would get rid of the keys on their servo connectors so you could use them with other receivers without whittling the stupid thing off!![:@]

blikseme300 08-07-2005 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: SitNFly

I just wish Futaba would get rid of the keys on their servo connectors so you could use them with other receivers without whittling the stupid thing off!![:@]
Those stupid keys have saved quite a few ham-fisted people from plugging it in the wrong way. I use both types of connectors and just plan ahead and change when needed.

Safe Flying!

I & C Tech 08-07-2005 11:42 AM

I'll have to agree with SitNFly. Whittling those things off is a ridiculous necessity these days. People mix and match brands during a setup. Those things suck.

Bayou Talker 08-07-2005 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: SitNFly

That key, or the lack thereof, is exactly why I don't like Hitec servos. I have made the mistake of plugging the servo in backward and not noticing until the wing is on and have to take it back off to correct the problem. I think all of the other manufacturers should add the key to prevent incorrect installation.

So there you have it...2 totally different fixes for the same problem.

I & C Tech 08-07-2005 07:34 PM

If all manf. added the tab, new stuff wouldn't work with old stuff. Remove the tab. And move the wire entry.