RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Something strange happened today. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3249769-something-strange-happened-today.html)

karolh 08-10-2005 03:31 PM

Something strange happened today.

Several hours after returning from flying recently, I realized that I had left my Futaba 8UAF transmitter switched on which killed the battery pack. After three charge / discharge cycles they were back up to strength.

Returning to the field a few days later to fly the same model, on doing my usual range and controls check, I realized that all the servos were in a reversed mode.

How could this happen, and do I need to check the other models that is stored in the transmitter's memory?

3D-kid330 08-10-2005 03:49 PM

RE: Something strange happened today.

It could be caused by the lithium memory battery (looks like a watch battery) in the radio is low and should be replaced. That battery protects the memory in the radio when there is no other power source, ie, the battery.

Some of the people more experienced with Futabas can help you there. (I am a JR person);)

Hope this helps,
Brandon

karolh 08-11-2005 05:16 AM

ORIGINAL: 3D-kid330

It could be caused by the lithium memory battery (looks like a watch battery) in the radio is low and should be replaced. That battery protects the memory in the radio when there is no other power source, ie, the battery.

Some of the people more experienced with Futabas can help you there. (I am a JR person);)

Hope this helps,
Brandon

I thought so too and opened the trans. case but did could not find a battery, nor does my manual say anything about the radio having one. The good thing is that I have checked the memory for the other models stored, and all the information is as it should be.

Karol

rajul 08-11-2005 07:05 AM

This is interesting. Although I can't offer you any answer, I's be interested to know what caused it. There was a similar thread on servo reversal in the 9C http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3221291/tm.htm Did you operate any RF devices near the radio e.g. cell phone before the servo reversal occurred ?

karolh 08-11-2005 07:28 PM

I guess possibly as a lot of us do who have been flying a particular model quite frequently, when we do a range check we basically only look for movement of the control surfaces and not necessarily check that left is left and so on.

In my case I was guilty of just that assumption, and on start up the engine instead of being at high idle went to almost full throttle. Thank goodness I always have a helper on hand at start up to help restraint my models as I seldom ever fly alone.

Thinking I had forgotten to turn on the flight pack's switch, I checked but found it in the on position. Shutting down the engine I did a through check and found that all the servos were reversed.

I still am no closer to finding out just what could have caused this as other than the battery going dead from being inadvertantly left on, the radio has performed flawlessly ever since I bought it in 1996, except for a dry solder joint where the module plugs into the Tx, which was repaired and the radio checked and tuned by Radio South.

From now on I will be checking very diligently on all servo actions before making that first flight.

What provides power in the 8UAF radio to maintain it's memory.

Cyclic Hardover 08-11-2005 09:48 PM

If you find the battery, let me know, I have the 8uafs. I may change it just for aggravation. Is it possible to replace the lithium while the regular battery is still in place as not to lose the memory?

rccrazedman 08-13-2005 12:23 AM

I don't know about the 8u but all of the futaba transmitters I have does not have the lithium battery for memery backup. All of my radios t6xhs and 7c both have a prom memery chip to protect the memery when the battery is removed. as for why things reversed I would like to know myself . very interesting.