RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Ranges of Futaba? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3319934-ranges-futaba.html)

Soaring321 09-01-2005 10:41 AM

Ranges of Futaba?

I am looking to purchase a Futaba system for an e-glider. I have looked all over their website and it looks like they will not advertise their ranges for the various systems. Would hate to lose a good ship. How does one get that kind of information and know which model is right for the application. Just trying to get ballpark figures. Not looking for anything expensive. Something in the 4 channel or 6 channel if I want to expand in the future.

CJ

exeter_acres 09-01-2005 11:09 AM

RE: Ranges of Futaba?

ballpark? Much farther than you can see.....

well over a mile or more

Bax 09-01-2005 02:19 PM

Ranges are not published for most of Futaba's receivers because their ranges exceed the visual limits for R/C airplanes. As long as you can see the model, you have control. This does not hold for the R114F micro and R124F ultra-micro receivers, which have a range of about 200 M; and the R146IP micro receiver, which has a 300 M range.

The R114F and R124F are 4-channel FM-PPM receivers, and the R146IP is a 6-channel FM-PCM receiver.

aeajr 09-01-2005 10:49 PM

Bax has it right.

The range is determined by the receiver, not the radio. With Futaba, if not stated, then it is 1 mile plus. Only the ones that Bax lists have shorter ranges.

If you want to look at receivers that will work with your Futaba radio, Hitec's receivers are a perfect match. I have a Futaba 9C and a Futaba Conquest. I use all Hitec receivers.

For a sailplane I would recommend the electron 6 or the supreme 8, depending on how many channels you need.

BaronSchwab 09-05-2005 11:30 AM

The Hitec 555 is also a good rx. It is 5 channel.

e-sailpilot86 09-06-2005 08:52 PM

555 is a good Rx, but for some reason, I've been having trouble with mine lately. I've been trying to talk to the Hitec support about it, but they haven't been saying much. Time to go wake up the tech support again. :eek: Electron 6 has tested better than 555 so far, and I don't know why. I've seen it used perfectly fine in other installations, but for some reason, I'm having problems.[sm=thumbdown.gif] I standard GWS R4P-II has been testing better than the 555... [:@]

aeajr 09-06-2005 08:59 PM

Hitec Micro 555 is an EXCELLENT receiver, but it is about the same price as the Electron 6 and the 6 is lighter and has an extra channel. Go for the 6!

Safety Hawk 10-05-2005 02:36 PM

I have one of those Futaba R146iP receivers, and I only get about 150 feet of range with it. Only about 15 to 20 feet when I range check it with the antenna down. This thing is brand new.....Shouldn't it be way better than that? I don't trust it enough to put in an airplane anymore. I had it in a Mini Funtana. I also tried it in Ikarus Yak-54 foamy with about the same results.

aeajr 10-05-2005 02:50 PM

Send it back!

ORIGINAL: Safety Hawk

I have one of those Futaba R146iP receivers, and I only get about 150 feet of range with it. Only about 15 to 20 feet when I range check it with the antenna down. This thing is brand new.....Shouldn't it be way better than that? I don't trust it enough to put in an airplane anymore. I had it in a Mini Funtana. I also tried it in Ikarus Yak-54 foamy with about the same results.

Safety Hawk 10-05-2005 02:57 PM

It's on it way already. I was just looking for confirmation. The guy at Futaba Service Center said he thought it was my TX, but I use that radio with several planes and receivers with no problems.

iflynething 10-06-2005 03:55 PM

How bout you take a look at one of the most recent 3-D Flyer magazines with the XFC coverage and Alan Szabo's Raptor helicopter on the front. They have a kinda indepth article with the different ranges of different recievers and transmitters, which they tested in a normal RC flying environment.

The test results from 3-D Flyer are:

1.) Airtronics 9277 FM
-Very intermittent glitching was noted at 1.7 mi out from the radio transmitter.
-Signal totally lost at 4.5 mi out from Graupner?JR MC-24 transmitter

2.) Airtronic 92515 FM
-Intermittent glitching was noted 1.7 mi from radio
-Signal totally lost 2.8 mi from Graupner/JR MC-24 transmitter

3.) JR NES 6495 PCM
-Moderate glitching observed 4 mi from radio
-Total signal lost @ 4.3 mi. from JR 10X transmitter

4.) Futaba FP-R148 DF FM
-Intermittent glitching noted 2.3 mi from radio transmitter.
-Regular interval glitching noted 2.7 mi out
-Constant glitching at 3.9 mi out
Signal finally lost at 4.4 mi out from Futaba 9CAP

5.) Futaba R149DP PCM
-Intermittent glitching noted 2.7 mi from transmitter
-Complete signal loss at 4.5 mi out from Futaba 9CAP radio

Looks like to me, from these 3-D Flyer magazine test that the JR and both the Futaba radios hae the most range.

Like stated above, at 4 mi, even 2 mi out you're probably not even going to see the plane........especially since it's a glider.....

Hope this helps

~Michael~

aeajr 10-07-2005 06:56 PM

Even a 3M sailplane is near the visual limit at 1 mile out. I know because I fly 3M planes and had one go down 3/4 mile out due to a servo failure. It was pretty small at that range.

iflynething 10-07-2005 07:39 PM

Yeah, you really have nothing to worry about and a 3M sailplane is huge my most standards, I don't care how you look at it....

You don't have anything to worry about with the range..just get that plane and go flying...have some fun!!

~Michael~

s3nfo 10-08-2005 08:54 AM

Hummm, everybodies Rx's got tested with the native transmitter except airtronics. These results may in fact represent the true capabilities but since the Tx is more than half the equation in range, the Airtronics results are suspect to me.

ORIGINAL: iflynething

How bout you take a look at one of the most recent 3-D Flyer magazines with the XFC coverage and Alan Szabo's Raptor helicopter on the front. They have a kinda indepth article with the different ranges of different recievers and transmitters, which they tested in a normal RC flying environment.

The test results from 3-D Flyer are:

1.) Airtronics 9277 FM
-Very intermittent glitching was noted at 1.7 mi out from the radio transmitter.
-Signal totally lost at 4.5 mi out from Graupner?JR MC-24 transmitter

2.) Airtronic 92515 FM
-Intermittent glitching was noted 1.7 mi from radio
-Signal totally lost 2.8 mi from Graupner/JR MC-24 transmitter

3.) JR NES 6495 PCM
-Moderate glitching observed 4 mi from radio
-Total signal lost @ 4.3 mi. from JR 10X transmitter

4.) Futaba FP-R148 DF FM
-Intermittent glitching noted 2.3 mi from radio transmitter.
-Regular interval glitching noted 2.7 mi out
-Constant glitching at 3.9 mi out
Signal finally lost at 4.4 mi out from Futaba 9CAP

5.) Futaba R149DP PCM
-Intermittent glitching noted 2.7 mi from transmitter
-Complete signal loss at 4.5 mi out from Futaba 9CAP radio

Looks like to me, from these 3-D Flyer magazine test that the JR and both the Futaba radios hae the most range.

Like stated above, at 4 mi, even 2 mi out you're probably not even going to see the plane........especially since it's a glider.....

Hope this helps

~Michael~

iflynething 10-08-2005 12:53 PM

I guess you can't do everything right....but I guess yoiuc an get an idea of what the ranges are from this test....Anyway you look at it, it's a long ways and you will loose the model before you even loose radio contact.....

~Michael~

dirtybird 10-10-2005 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: s3nfo

Hummm, everybodies Rx's got tested with the native transmitter except airtronics. These results may in fact represent the true capabilities but since the Tx is more than half the equation in range, the Airtronics results are suspect to me.

The transmitter has very little effect on the equation. A 3db difference in the sensitivity of the receiver is the same as doubling the transmitter power. You can make a 3db difference in the receiver sensitivity by 1/2 turn of the tuning slug

iflynething 10-10-2005 05:22 PM

Interesting....

I didn't know that

~Michael~

speedster 1919 10-14-2005 08:00 AM

That test doesn't seem fair to airtronics since it was a mis matched TX to RX. I see JR was to JR and FUT was to FUT. I thought airtronics was known for their sail and glider plane superiority.

modeltronics 10-14-2005 01:45 PM

The test doesn't tell me much. Tell me the sensitivity of each RX and that will tell me a lot more. Also it would be great to know the noise floor of each RX.

Then let me know the radiated output from the antenna in V/unit of length at a set distance for the TX.

There are just too many variables in just a range check.

Aren't you glad that most systems work for farther than you can see although good engineering data would be nice to have.

s3nfo 10-15-2005 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

The transmitter has very little effect on the equation. A 3db difference in the sensitivity of the receiver is the same as doubling the transmitter power. You can make a 3db difference in the receiver sensitivity by 1/2 turn of the tuning slug

So you're telling me that doubling the sensitivity of the Rx is the same as doubling the transmitter power, duh.
I'm pretty sure the sensitivity of the Airtronics Rx's is comparable to the sensitivity of the JR and Futaba Rx's tested, but since the Tx was not native the lower than expected/comparable to other results obtained is still suspect!

iflynething 10-17-2005 09:10 AM

I just look at it this way, no matter how big the plane is, you not going to see that plane when you loose radio contact. It just ain't gonna happen.

Although there are many variables, like you were talking about, this test was used like normal flying operation at a field. Nothing labrotary kind of stuff. Plus most radios have the same kind of stuff in them, so you're PROBABLY not going to find one that only reaches 1 mi. They are all going to be on out there in the range. I know, there is going to be that one that will only give you limited range and you won't know it.

This really gives a good reference of what our radios are capable of now days.

~Michael~

az 10-19-2005 06:16 AM

Hi all,
do you have some idea how to check the transmitter and receiver if they are working OK and the range is enough.

Why I'm asking?

I have bought new transmitter Futaba 9ZAP, WCII with 139 DP receiver and I would like check it before I will instal it to F3A model.

I know that this electrical powered F3A models have sometimes problem with range because of electric field from electric motor.

Thanks for your help.

Ales