RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   GWS RX Problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3324780-gws-rx-problem.html)

David_Moen 09-02-2005 11:33 PM

GWS RX Problem

I'm doing final assy. on my first performance electric and I've run into a snag. I'm re-using a GWS 4 channel Pico RX, I have A Phoenix 25 ESC and a Hacker A20-L. When I plug in the battery the ESC makes a noise and tthe control surfaces move apropriatley. The motor will not run however. I have Futaba 9C, and I've changed the end points to 140% in each direction and I've made sure that the throttle trim is all the way down. I've also tried reversing the channel on my TX. If I try to put the ESC in programming mode (plug in the battery with the throttle all the way up, wait 2 secs for a beep) the ESC does not beep. I'm starting to think there is something wrong with channel 3 on the RX, but it seems unlikley that one channel would fail. Any ideas?

mr.rc-cam 09-03-2005 09:06 AM

RE: GWS RX Problem

Your ESC may be in low voltage cutoff mode. The battery's actual voltage must be higher than the programmed cutoff voltage.

David_Moen 09-03-2005 10:01 AM

Thanks, I'll re-peak my battery and try again. I don't think the default setup on the ESC is appropriate for a 3 cell battery, I will check that if I can get it to power up.

David_Moen 09-03-2005 11:26 AM

No joy :(

I peaked by battery, it was showing 12.6V when it finished, this didn't get things working, so I unplugged everything but the throttle channel, still not action. Finally I plugged my rudder servo into channel 3 and plugged a NiCad pack into the 4/B terminal, my rudder moved with the throttle so I know channel 3 on the RX works.

The ESC makes a musical tone and flashes once when I plug in the battery. I see in the documentation that the LVC is 4 volts, NI/MH setting, I'd like to change that to the auto-lipo setting but it will not go into the programming mode.

Any more ideas?

exeter_acres 09-03-2005 12:11 PM

tried plugging a servo into channel 3(throttle channel) and see if it works??

maybe find a spare Rx battery and plug it in to any available channel then see if the GWS rx is working... that would eliminate(sp?) any ESC questions

rheumatical 09-07-2005 09:54 PM

I've had similar problems with those RXs. Channel 4 stopped responding on one of them, for the other all the channels became jittery for no apparent reason. Sent them back to GWS, they promptly replaced the both the Rxs under warranty. Great rx overall (i have them on my 8 other planes). Might want to consider sending it back to GWS.

David_Moen 09-07-2005 10:51 PM

Turns out that the RX is bad, CH3 which worked during some of my testing with a servo has now failed all together, back to GWA it will go! I plugged the ESC into CH 1 and it fired right up. My oh my these electrics can make some wind! I have ordered a Hitech micro receiver for now.

TLH101 09-08-2005 06:24 AM

I think you may want to consider an upgrade to a better receiver for that application. The GWS receiver is not a good choice for a fast flying aircraft. Range is very short and they are single conversion, so very prone to interference.