RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Finally a 2500mah Li-poly Pack for Transmitters by Common Sense RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3500646-finally-2500mah-li-poly-pack-transmitters-common-sense-rc.html)

mikekomm 10-29-2005 01:33 AM

Finally a 2500mah Li-poly Pack for Transmitters by Common Sense RC

We at Common Sense RC have produced our first Li-poly 2500mah - 11.1 volt pack designed to fit in all Hitec, Futaba, Airtronics and JR radios that use the "square pack" (30mm x 30mm x 100mm). Compared to the 600mah pack that comes with many transmitters, this pack will allow you to fly almost 4 times longer.

We introduced these at the iHobby Expo in Los Angeles last weekend and the response was overwhelming. Personnel from both Hitec and Airtronics purchased packs from us for their personal use!

To charge the pack, we cut the round connector off the charger that was supplied with our transmitter and spliced it onto a patch cord made to connect to our Triton charger. This allows you to charge the transmitter through the charging receptacle as you would the original battery supplied with the transmitter.

Packs can be purchased directly from our website or from your local hobby store.

[link=http://www.commonsenserc.com/commonsenserc/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=32]www.CommonSenseRC.com[/link]

We are currently working on a flat pack for other transmitters such as the Hitec Focus and others.

We also offer an inexpensive ($13 retail) 1 amp wall charger with "auto shut-off" that will charge this pack in 2.5 hours.

Wings-RCU 10-29-2005 08:05 AM

RE: Finally a 2500mah Li-poly Pack for Transmitters by Common Sense RC

Very Nice! The charger is an added benefit and the price is good! I'm glad to see some inovation here.

XJet 10-29-2005 03:44 PM

Can you please tell us why it's better to pay $59 for a LiPo transmitter pack like yours (which requires a LiPo charger and alwasy carries the risk that it'll spontaneously combust) when perfectly good 2500mAH NiMH packs are available for as little as $32?

I'm not trying to knock the product -- I just wondered what you getting when you pay 85% more for the LiPo pack?

I've been using hi-capacity NiMH packs in my transmitters for quite a while now and all my packs will charge at 1C then provide several days worth of flying.

mikekomm 10-29-2005 04:13 PM

I'm sure your Nimh setup works fine. Many new guys getting into this hobby will use only Li-poly batteries and will have a Li-poly charger as well. They may not own or have any need to own a Nimh charger. Other flyers have concerns about transmitter weight. Li-polys are lighter than Nimh. Our TX pack is not a neccessity, but a convenience item for pilots that are willing to follow the guidelines for using Li-poly batteries.

LeeHop 11-01-2005 06:35 PM

How about transmitters with diode protection: do you need to disable it for the lipo charger to work properly? (as you do for nicads).
Tnx - LeeHop

mikekomm 11-01-2005 07:25 PM

These packs are being used without any alterations to the transmitters. They work fine and give a lot of hours of flying between charges.

Mike

www.CommonSenseRC.com

blikseme300 11-01-2005 07:53 PM

Yeah, and possibly burn your house down!

Safe Flying!

Icebird 11-01-2005 08:25 PM

Will these packs fit into the cassette that the 9Z uses? I have a 2500 mah NiMH pack now, but the self discharge rate is more than I like. Lithiums would solve this problem, but only if they will fit in the cassette.

Jim

mikekomm 11-01-2005 08:43 PM

Jim

The pack size is 30mm x 30mm x 100mm. It should fit in the cassette fine, but you will have change the connector on our pack. If you purchase it and can't make it work, you can return it. No problem.

DiscoWings 11-05-2005 09:39 AM

I will use a NIMH over a LIPOLY any day for a transmitter battery!
On planes you want to keep the weight down, I can can tell you if weight wasn't the issue, people would be using NIMH eve in foamies!

A bad cell on a LIPO, means an open circut, not to mention they are far more risky to deal with. OHH and you have to banlace the DARN THINGS EVERY WEEK OR 1 cell will overcharge and may burst into flames!
A bad cell on a NIMH means low voltage but you can still land you plane, maintenance on a NIMH is sooo much easier and they are self-balacing.

NEVER USE A LIPO over a NIMH if weight is not an issue!

R.Robinson 11-05-2005 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: XJet

Can you please tell us why it's better to pay $59 for a LiPo transmitter pack like yours (which requires a LiPo charger and alwasy carries the risk that it'll spontaneously combust) when perfectly good 2500mAH NiMH packs are available for as little as $32?

I'm not trying to knock the product -- I just wondered what you getting when you pay 85% more for the LiPo pack?

I've been using hi-capacity NiMH packs in my transmitters for quite a while now and all my packs will charge at 1C then provide several days worth of flying.
2500 NIMH pack are less than $20 now. Still cheaper than Lipo and you don't have to buy that SPECIAL expensive charger.

sodflyer 11-11-2005 12:30 PM

I ordered one and it arrived yesterday, I know all about the dangers of using lipoly batteries as I have them in other aircraft that I fly. I am mainly getting sick of my nimh batteries keeling over too quickly so that's why I went with what they had to offer. I like it, although I might install a voltage regulator on it. it fits just fine in my JR 8103 TX too. only thing I didnt care for was the charger plug was not right for the battery but no big deal. I have an ICE and a Triton chargers so I can charge either way. I won't keep the battery in the TX and I learned once about leaving the battery plugged in the airplane even with it off the ESC drained it down until it puffed up the next day....that kinda sucked as the pack only had about 20 flights on it. Anyway I will try this out and see how it works out for me....

nate1001 11-15-2005 06:37 PM

Jacket man,
do these lipoly's have a problem with being discharged even when the radio is off like sodflyer said? I think it does it with an esc because it only cuts power to the reciever and the esc is still on. not sure just wondering

mikekomm 11-15-2005 06:53 PM

Most Transmitters do not draw any power from the battery when the transmitter is turned off. I have not ever seen one that does. The reason I said "most" rather than "all" is that there may be some radio out there that has a clock or date function. I haven't ever seen it but, you never know.