RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   JR Receiver Futaba Servos??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3528097-jr-receiver-futaba-servos.html)

TTiger3 11-06-2005 11:02 PM

JR Receiver Futaba Servos???

Will a JR 10 ch. PCM receiver work with Futaba servos???

DMcQuinn 11-06-2005 11:16 PM

RE: JR Receiver Futaba Servos???

Yes. no problems at all. the plugs are nearly identical, but you may need to use a razor blade to shave off some plastic from the futaba plugs. this is in order to fit them into the JR receiver.

Mode One 11-07-2005 08:42 AM

I don't think this will work. JR is positive shift and Futaba is negative shift. However, this is a question you really need to ask the equipment manufacturer about. Earlier this summer, I was thinking about combining my Airtronics receiver (positive shift) with Futaba or Tower servos. The folks at Tower informed me this won't work. HiTec RCD makes servos which will work with either shift. I don't think it is simply a matter of shaving down the lug on the Futaba connector. So, Tower, Futaba and HiTec RCD will work together with J-connectors and JR, Airtronics and HiTec RCD with Z-connectors will work together.

BarracudaHockey 11-07-2005 08:53 AM

The only time shift matters is between the transmitter and reciever. Once the signal is decoded they all work the same way.

So the answer to the question is yes you can use futaba servos w/ JR reciever and vice versa. You can also use the Futaba gyros.

As stated you will have to shave the futaba index tab off with a razor blade but thats about all. Most servos with the exception of some very old ones (airtronics specifically) will work with any reciever.

JohnBuckner 11-07-2005 09:06 AM

Daboo the question asked was if futaba servos will work with a JR Rx. the Reply by DMcQuinn was quite accurate. Modulation shift of which you speak has nothing to do with servo to Rx compatability. Modulation shift is important for Tx to Rx compatability when mixed brands are used.

Also in some cases at least with FM (PPM) systems more progressive (read competitive) manufacturers of both Tx's and Rx's are offering both Tx's and Rx's with some form of shift selectivity on certain models that allows easy brand mixing. Hitec, Airtronics and Polks among some others now offer this capability on selected models, Hitec has had this ability for around 10 years now.

John

martyman 11-18-2005 12:09 AM

I also want to use Fubata servos with a JR receiver. Here's my question - once you shave off the plastic from Futaba-compatible servos, how do you know which way to plug them in to the JR receiver? I never paid attention to orientation when using Futaba receiver because the plastic tab prevents you from inserting it the wrong way. So.... which servo wire goes toward the top of the receiver - white or black?

JohnBuckner 11-18-2005 02:21 PM

Marty on all Rx's the black negative leads will all be lined up like tin soldiers. Its a simple matter to just line the servo plugs up in the same color orientation as your JR switch harness plug.

When cutting the tabs off the J plugs sometimes it is neccessary to thin the outside dimension of the J plug a bit and can be done by scraping with your hobby blade. Note JR, S, and Z plugs are mechanically polorized just as the F plug is and this is done with small champhered bevels on the back corners of the plug. It is neccessary to when fitting them to add these champhers for the this to function as a polarity guard. These can be defeated with force. However with the industry standard now of centerpin positve by the big four, when a servo plug is reversed no damage will occur to either the Rx or servo and that servo simply won't function. Just reverse it and you are good to go.

John

martyman 11-18-2005 04:04 PM

John,
That clears it up for me. Thanks a bunch.