RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Intermitten radio hits (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3597114-intermitten-radio-hits.html)

Deadeye 11-28-2005 07:35 PM

Intermitten radio hits

I get hit at our field with only one plane, my 45cc gasser. Standard ignition, but it does it with the engine off too. There is a spot on our east approach maybe 20X20 feet. If I carry my model into that spot, I get tail glitches, walk out and it's fine. This is one of 8 models on the TX (7CAP), and it's the only one that does it (I'm on 14 exclusively). I have changed crystals, RX, ran the antenna externally, still glitches. If I avoid that area, and a few other areas in the sky, I can fly it. My next test is to set up another TX with channel 16 and replace the RX in this plane, but it will have to wait for spring.

I discovered this 'hit' on this plane's maiden flight. There was a spot in the sky that kicked on my smoker, and surged my throttle. On the second flight, on landing, it was the aforementioned east approach that wagged my ailerons, almost causing a crash. Third flight, I noticed the throttle surge again (I unplugged my smoker after the first flight). On my 4th and final flight with this plane so far, my ailerons wagged at 100 feet up, on the WEST approach of our field.

These glitches last nary a second, and the one on the east approach is the only one that does it close to the ground. Any ideas why?

I should also mention that I am using a 2400 ma 4 cell RX pack, seperate batteries on the Sullivan smoker, hitec mighty mini for throttle, 1/4 scale hitec for rudder, 645s on the elevator halves, and 475's on the ailerons. The 1/4 scale does not have it's own battery pack.

dirtybird 11-29-2005 12:18 PM

RE: Intermitten radio hits

There is an unfortunate problem in radio transmission called multipath. It means that the radio waves can arrive at your receiver from different directions caused by reflections of buildings,fences or even a small hill. Since the reflected wave has traveled a longer distance than the direct path it will be out of phase and can cancell the transmitted signal in a small area.
In the days before cable, and TV was usually on an antenna, an airplane flying over would cause the picture to flicker. The reflected wave from the airplane caused the signal to fade out at your antenna. That was multipath.
You can minimise the problem by having your receiver tuned to your transmitter. Then keep your hands off of the crystal.

Deadeye 11-29-2005 12:51 PM

RE: Intermitten radio hits

Thanks for the reply and answer, dirtybird. Would I need to send the RX, RX crystal and the TX into Radio south? Or can they do it with RX and crystal alone?