RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Programing the Futaba 9 CAP (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3607217-programing-futaba-9-cap.html)

RCAA 12-01-2005 03:12 PM

Programing the Futaba 9 CAP

Does anyone know of another instruction manual or guide to setup the Futaba 9C transmitter for programing as the one that comes with the radio is confusing ? [:o]

BarracudaHockey 12-01-2005 03:15 PM

RE: Programing the Futaba 9 CAP

Ann Marie Cross wrote a book about it. Great Planes probably either stocks it or can tell you where to get it.

BarracudaHockey 12-01-2005 03:23 PM

Here's the link to the publisher. Do a site search there for CROSS and it will come up. 24 bucks.

http://www.traplethouse.com/

RCAA 12-01-2005 03:24 PM

Thanks barracudahockey ------ I'll contact them as I've only been programing this 9C by trial and error and that is a verrrrrrrrrrrrry slow process. I appreciate your quick response !

[8D]

GarySS 12-01-2005 03:28 PM

Try this link: http://www.crosswindseqresq.org/rc-support9cp.html

Also Harry Higgley has a supplemental manual for the 9C which tower carries.

RCAA 12-01-2005 03:32 PM

Thanks again, guys for your suggestions ----------- Sounds like a winner to me as I'm trying to setup a Funtana with all the servos setup correctly and have had to do it by experimentation which as you can imagine is very frustrating ! ! ! ! [sm=thumbup.gif]

exeter_acres 12-01-2005 03:34 PM

there is a very good FAQ section at the Futaba website too

BarracudaHockey 12-01-2005 04:39 PM

Why didn't you say that? I have the Funtana just ask away.

RCAA 12-01-2005 10:33 PM

I setting up a FuntanaS 90 with a YS 1.10! I finally figured out the aileron setup and have my Futaba R127DF receiver hooked to channel 1 and 7 but am not sure the BEST way to setup aileron differential. Should I just go to the end points for each channel or is there another way as the Futaba instruction manual indicates another way which I can't figure out. Also, I am trying to setup the snap roll feature. Can flaperons be setup with the above channels hooked the way they are?
This whole aileron section is confusing to me and I'm going to have to get one of the books you guys suggested previoulsly. Thanks. [sm=drowning.gif]

BarracudaHockey 12-02-2005 09:00 AM

First off that plane rolls like its on a string, you don't need aileron diff.

Second with the 9c you get EITHER flapperon mixing OR aileron differential.

Mine are set so that the flapperons are on the right hand slider and mixed to a switch where up elevator will give down flaps. I really don't use flaps all that much when landing as the thing will land so slow any ways if you dont put a monster engine up front and make it heavy. That motor should fly that plane very nicely.

RCAA 12-02-2005 09:57 AM

Good to hear that it doesn't need aileron diff since I couldn't determine the best way to set it up anyway and had planned to go without. From what I've read on the Funtana forum here, the YS 1.10 is probably the best size engine for what I will do with the airplane. I'm NOT into 3D yet and only want a GREAT flying airplane that can do all the regular aerobatics.

I may try a few 3D maneuvers, but that will come much later. Thanks for your advise.

Zeeb 12-02-2005 10:52 AM

tkna,

I've got the same setup, YS 110 on a Funtana 90 with a 9CAPS tx. Even at 4500' above Sea Level where I live it performs very nicely. I bought it as a transition airplane after reading the thread on it here. If you keep the CG forward it will do all the sport plane maneuvers quite nicely and is easy to fly, but knife edges will require a mix or constant input from you, inverted stuff requires down elevator and the slow rolls are a bit tricky with that forward CG, but it will slow down and land like a trainer. As you get better, just move the CG back by re-locating your battery pack.

One advantage to the flap/spoiler function is some flap deflection will tighten loops and inside maneuvers, while some spoiler deflection helps cut down on the wing walking while doing something like an elevator. I have mine programmed so the left slider operates the flaps/spoilers and the radio will beep at you when the slider is in it's neutral position so you know where that's at.

Just remember throttle management... :eek:

RCAA 12-02-2005 12:50 PM

Zeeb,

Sounds like a very successful setup - I just need to order that manual !
I have been advised by several of our club members who have the Funtana to put the CG at 6 3/4 in. instead of the 7 1/8 in. where the instruction manual says to balance it. They have the Saito 100 in theirs and it flys well but is definitely underpowered; that's why I decided on the YS 110. Have never owned a YS before and hope I don't have any issues with it like some of the guys claim they have with YS engines, i.e., the muffler comes apart and they lose the back half. Had any problems with this ?

Tony

jlkonn 12-02-2005 01:17 PM

Tony,
I have a 9CAP too.
I had the differential enabled until I decided I wanted flaperons so I went that route.
You can easily add aileron differential at the "flaperon" screen.
Another thing that's neat is to set you timer to start with the throttle stick.
Just go to the timer menu and when you scroll thru the switches you'll come to throttle.
I've had the radio since summer.
I had been out of the hobby for over 15 years.
When I quit I had a Futaba 9VAP, still own it.
The first Futaba computer radio.
I was young then and open minded but I never could figure out what the heck the manual was trying to say![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
The guy that wrote the book and designed the radio never made sense to me.
You'll really like your radio.
JLK

RCAA 12-02-2005 05:51 PM

JLK,

Thanks for your ideas. I've just had my 9CAPS for about 2 months and am slowly catching on to it's programing but the instruction manual "stinks"! Your timer idea sounds intriguing and I will try it out. I have used it on my 40 size "Stik" and it does work well. I like it's potential for my larger planes.

Zeeb 12-03-2005 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: tkna

Zeeb,

Sounds like a very successful setup - I just need to order that manual !
I have been advised by several of our club members who have the Funtana to put the CG at 6 3/4 in. instead of the 7 1/8 in. where the instruction manual says to balance it. They have the Saito 100 in theirs and it flys well but is definitely underpowered; that's why I decided on the YS 110. Have never owned a YS before and hope I don't have any issues with it like some of the guys claim they have with YS engines, i.e., the muffler comes apart and they lose the back half. Had any problems with this ?

Tony
Tony,

I don't usually like to go this far off topic and hijack a thread, but since you asked I'll offer some information about my Funtana and YS engine for you.

I started with the CG at 6 5/8" and am now gradually moving it back. It does get more touchy as the CG moves back as you would expect. Great 3D performance requires an aft CG and if you put it at the recommended 7 1/8" to begin with, you will definitely have your hands full... :eek:

You may also want to consider a tougher, taller landing gear as the stock one is not able to take much in the way of any hard landings. I used the TNT aluminum gear that's two inches taller and 1/16 thicker material, with the taller Sullivan tailwheel on mine. That gives you better ground clearance for that 16" prop the YS will swing. I use the 16x6 APC since the recommended 16x4 allowed the YS 110 to spin faster than it should for best performance in this setup.

I have triple rates setup on my ailerons and elevator, with dual rates on the rudder. If you want some forgiveness, figure on about half the deflection listed as the low rates for your initial flights on the ailerons and elevators, the rudder really needs to be at the listed low rates. IF you setup the multiple rates, you'll have access to the higher deflections should you need them, but even at the listed low rates the ailerons are way sensitive at any kind of speed. Those rates for the ailerons, elevator and rudder are setup on their own switches on mine, not one switch for all three. The 9CAPS has two three position switches I used, and one of the two position switches for the rudder. The high rates are for 3D only and you'll have a tough time flying it that way if you're not pretty experienced.

The YS is not your typical glow engine. It will perform very nicely and idle at a speed so low that it constantly amazes everyone at the club when they hear it as well as the fact that it keeps the light weight Funtana from taxiing off at idle, but you HAVE to follow the setup instructions or it will drive you nuts. Once you get close to your final settings, make adjustments to the needle valves in single clicks, not 1/4 turns. Yes I had the muffler problems but I think with Dave Shadel's input on the YS forum they are solved. The problem is mostly that the muffler is aluminum and expands with heat faster and farther than the steel components it's attached to. Wrap a little (maybe three or four layers) of Teflon tape around the stack where the muffler and jam nut will fit, then tighten it again right after a test run so the aluminum is still hot. Do the same thing (that is while it's still hot) with the screws for the tailcone of the muffler, but use some blue Loctite (or similar brand removable thread locker, NOT the red or permanent type) on the screws holding the tailcone. I've only had the stack jam nut come loose at the head once, but it was also tightened with the engine hot. Teflon tape at the head isn't necessary. You should check that muffler after landing from each of your initial flights to see if it needs tightening again. Mine did for the first few flights, but it's pretty rare for it to be loose after a flight now.

Hope that helps, should you have other questions I suggest you just PM me or check the other forum threads. You can learn a lot about the YS by visiting the manufacturers support forum for them and reading past posts, or ask questions.

RCAA 12-03-2005 07:09 PM

Zeeb,

Thanks for the information on the triple rate setup and the YS. I'll check the other threads for further info and I do appreciate the benefit of your experience as I have NONE with YS engines but have always envied their OUTSTANDING power and that's why I bought the YS 110 ! !

Tony

icando3d2 12-16-2005 09:08 AM

does this radio have flight modes or such

RCAA 12-16-2005 10:09 AM

It's the Futaba 9 CAP Super and it has all kinds of opportunities for programming switches.