RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Hitec Flash 5 for 1st Radio or not? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/370646-hitec-flash-5-1st-radio-not.html)

yncads 11-18-2002 07:31 AM

Hitec Flash 5 for 1st Radio or not?

Just finished my Midwest Malibu 40 and I'm looking at radios. Considering Hitec Flash 5 w/4 HS 422 servos. I've heard the 422 servos are good, how about the radio? I would go with a 4 chanel radio but I've gotten pretty good on the G2 sim and I plan on building more planes and don't want to short change myself. Also considering a Futuba 6YG or Futuba 6DA w/S3003 servos. Am I on the right track or should I go with a 4 channel? Any information on above radios appriciated.

Glitch 11-18-2002 12:39 PM

G'Day yncads,
You should get at least a million replies.
The Flash 5 fifth channel at least has a 3 position switch so can be used for gear or will give flaps up, half or fully extended.
I still use a Flash 5 and only bought an Eclipse 7 later as I wanted channels for gear and flap.
My Flash 5 with its 422 sevos has never 'missed a beat', I guess one consideration is whether you'll need the sixth channel in the future.
I did have a problem with the Eclipse transmitter as it seems it was not properly tuned, (they are on 36 Mhz in Australia) that was fixed under warranty and a new receiver was also supplied under warranty as the original was considered to have an intermittent fault under vibration.
The support from the importers has been first class.
Good luck with your choice.

JohnBuckner 11-18-2002 02:23 PM

The Flash 5X is the entry level radio that I recommend to all my students as the best bang for the buck and will allow for some growth. 422/425 servos are in fact some of the best in class for a standard also the little known sleeper 225. Hitec has had their bloopers, the HS 300 cheapy servo was a failure and is no longer made. One last point if you go the Flash get the fiveX and not the four. The five has some features that you will be wanting and is not on the fourX. There is just not that much differance in price.

John

Friar_Tuck 11-18-2002 03:42 PM

Flash 5X

Hello ynicads,
You are making an excellent choice for a first radio. With the Flash5X you will be learning the basics of programming a computer radio, without getting so many functions that it gets confusing. Those little 422s are gems, and you will be dealing with a company that has fantastic product support. Welcome to RC, I hope you enjoy it half as much as I do. Just one small bit of advice. One feature that the Flash 5X has, that you will want to use at first is the buddy box conection. The real thing is just enough different than the sims that you still will want an instructor at first, although your sim time will greatly help you.
Thanks,
Jim

coomarlin 11-18-2002 09:48 PM

I started with a Flash 5X a few years back because I wanted a computer radio and that was all I could afford. It was the same price as the cheap-o Skysport 4 radio from Futaba. In my mind there was no question about which radio to get. As I've progressed I've come to want more than what the Flash 5X provided. This is not a cut on the radio, just a fact. I've since upgraded to a 9C, but I have nothing but kind words to say about the 5X. It's a good choice for the price.

supertiger 11-19-2002 02:20 AM

flash 5

I am using a flash 5 right now, its my second radio since i was flying trainer plans. I think you need to ask your self one question and that is, are you a hard core RC person or are you just trying a new hobby that after your first crash you will want to quit the hobby. If you want to stay in the sport and grow into bigger and better planes then save some money and get a 6 channel or larger computer radio first . but if you need to save money and are unsure if you really like flying RC then the Flash 5 is a good choice. I wish i had purchased a 8 or 9 channel computer radio because I've already outgrown my flash 5.

MikeL 11-19-2002 03:37 AM

It takes most people a few seasons to grow beyond 5 channels. By that time, there'll be newer, cheaper radios on the market to move into. The 5x is a great choice that will serve you well.

SMALLFLY- 11-19-2002 02:14 PM

You will have no problem selling your flash 5 here on rcu in a year or 2 when you need a better radio. A very good choice IMO, should be good for your first 3 airplanes at least

yncads 11-19-2002 07:33 PM

Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone! I was just about sold on the Flash 5 from what I've read in mags. Now I'm sure and will order it tonight! Also going with a TT Pro .46. A little wet here in WA so I'm going to start building a 4 star after I get the radio equipment installed in my trainer. May be a few months before I get it the air. Sure am having fun building them, I know flying them should be a blast.

rpsmithii 11-20-2002 03:49 AM

Ive had a flash 5 - good value but the workmanship is a bit rough. If that doesn't bother you go for it. Otherwise I would go with the futabe 9c - it's a buy once type of deal that you will never outgrow and the resale value is, IMHO, a bit better.

I use alomost always hitec servos - no real better bargain.