RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   radio... JR662 vs Hitec eclipse 7 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/376925-radio-jr662-vs-hitec-eclipse-7-a.html)

Dogz 11-22-2002 01:51 AM

radio... JR662 vs Hitec eclipse 7

I'm just after some input from people in regaurd to these 2 radios, It my first radio and I thought I would get something midmarket so I don't have to upgrade later

It seems the Hitec has more features at about the same cost as the JR662. how does the quailty compare between the units.

The other thing is I can buy the Hitec with just sleeved servos to bring the cost down, This sounded like a good thing as they were only going in a trainer...........

hilleyja 11-23-2002 05:20 PM

Re: radio... JR662 vs Hitec eclipse 7

Originally posted by Dogz

It seems the Hitec has more features at about the same cost as the JR662. how does the quailty compare between the units.

That is very true. In actuallity, you are trying to compare an orange to an apple. While they are both sweet, i.e., they both have the traditionaly advanced functions like DUAL RATES, EXPONETIAL, etc, that is where their similarity almost ends.

The JR has built-in functionality for ACRO and HELI. The Hitec goes one more and adds GLIDER functions.

The Hitec goes even further but providing you 5 PMIXEs to enable you to setup some unique flavors. The Eclipse also supports an optional SPECTRUM RF module that allows you to set th TX frequency to any of the 60 available FM channels.

One more difference is the Hitec is a 7-channel radio, whereas the JR is a 6-channel radio. You can have airlon differential as well as flaps.

On the positive note for the JR and what I consider a significant limitation for the Hitec is the ability to assign switches to functions. Switches on the Hitec are predefined and unchangeable.

Dogz 11-23-2002 07:24 PM

Thanks for your input Hilleja..... I know I'm just starting out and have a passion for only plane.......do you think the Hitec would be to much and to confusing to start out with.

I be honest if I get 2-3 years out of a radio before I would have to upgrade I would be happy considering I’m just starting out.

hilleyja 11-24-2002 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Dogz
Thanks for your input Hilleja..... I know I'm just starting out and have a passion for only plane.......do you think the Hitec would be to much and to confusing to start out with.

I be honest if I get 2-3 years out of a radio before I would have to upgrade I would be happy considering I’m just starting out.

Not at all. I find the Eclipse to be fairly easy to understand after working with it for a while. Some say the JR is more user friendly and that is probably true. Cost vs features always wins out with me. You get more for your buck with the Hitec at the cost of it being a little more confusing to start with. The JR line of radios are the industry premo donas but you pay for it.

As long as you stay with basic airplanes, helis, and/or gliders, you should be satisfied with the Eclipse. When you start to get a little fancy, like a 7-servo Ultra Stick, my recommendation is the Futaba 8AU or 9C. The JR alternative is the 8103 but you'll pay much for it than the Futabas.

rsrogers 02-01-2003 11:40 PM

I would recomend the Hitec E-7 over the Jr 662. (I have used both). I have owned my E-7 for 1 yr now and the only complants I have is not having the ability to use the "crow" and get your throttle to work without fancy mixes and it not having expo. on the throttle. While thats not really a problem, all I fly is gassers & the feature can be quiet nice on the throttle servo. The programing is simple enough that a few min w/ the radio you can program the basic stuff without the manual. I like the Jr stuff but the price is a little steep for no more than you get on the mid range equipment. After using the E-7 I really like its easy set up. The screen is up top & easy to see, especially if your like me & have your flights timed to almost exactly when you run out of gas, so the timer LCD is large and easy to see at a quick glance.
My 2 cents worth but good luck in what ever you choose.

StarskiPZ 02-02-2003 08:34 PM

hitec 1, jr 0

I'd go hitec, but you need to pick 'em both up to ensure your happy with the feel.....

....either of these should last you a lot longer than you think...!