RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Multiplex Equipment? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/380984-multiplex-equipment.html)

Monarch97 11-24-2002 11:25 PM

Multiplex Equipment?

Hello to all.

Why is it that none of the hobby shops in my neck of the woods seem to know anything about the Multiplex brand?

The large mail order outfits don't appear to handle this equipment either.

I've been trying to educate myself on the subject via the web, and it looks like Multiplex offers an excellent alternative to what the competition has on the market.

I gather that this is the brand of choice in Europe, and has been for quite some time, yet it is little known in America.

Every aspect of the Multiplex product (design, function, features) seem to surpass equivalently priced equipment from other manufacturers.

Thanking you in advance for any opinion on this subject,

Mike

Forgues Research 11-24-2002 11:30 PM

Multiplex Equipment?

Mike,
Multiplex is a generation ahead of the others, but its also a small company by the Japanese standard.
They can sell all they produce in Europe so to do major marketing in North America, is a waste of time form them.
Also they are normally more expensive then the others so people are not willing to spend the difference.
I have been using Multiplex equipment for over 20 years and cannot change no matter what the price is.
I sell Multiplex but on order only to try and keep the prices as low as possible which is still quite high.
It is not a coincidence that their servos are Red ;)

AJF--2 11-25-2002 12:48 AM

Multiplex Equipment?

Please don't get me started!!!! I can tell you are new here. I have been saying just that for a long time. Do a search on MPX and you will find me in almost every one of the threads--SAYING THE EXACT SAME THING! A word of advice--it's a losing game.

Ladyflyer 11-26-2002 12:14 AM

Multiplex Equipment?

You are Soooo RIGHT !

They have TRIED and TRIED again to get a foothold in North America.

Forgues Research 11-26-2002 12:21 AM

Multiplex Equipment?

Originally posted by Ladyflyer
You are Soooo RIGHT !

They have TRIED and TRIED again to get a foothold in North America.

Actually, they haven't tried very hard at all. New importers have come and tried to do it single handedly. Some years back it was a guy name Boomer, and then Karlton Spindle. But Karlton seems to be more interested in 1/5 scale cars then the Multiplex line.

Only when Multiplex themselves are interested enough and spend the money to make their presence known the way the Japonese do, will they make a strong foothole in North America.

I have been using Multiplex for a over 20 years so I guess I'm not a follower.

AJF--2 11-26-2002 01:50 AM

Decided to upgrade today

It seems that the EVO is causing a shake up at "Critter Bits"(gotta love that name :rolleyes: )--Karlton Told me that the Profi 3030 will not be offered after a while--so I ordered mine today--heck of a deal--transmitter, receiver, switch, etc...upgraded to Royal digital servos, had a button switch installed on the throttle--all for a tad over $600. Last time I looked the Transmitter alone was over $700--they must be clearing out for the EVO. Will that replace the Profi? ;)

Forgues Research 11-26-2002 01:54 AM

Re: Decided to upgrade today

Originally posted by AJF--2
It seems that the EVO is causing a shake up at "Critter Bits"(gotta love that name :rolleyes: )--Karlton Told me that the Profi 3030 will not be offered after a while--so I ordered mine today--heck of a deal--transmitter, receiver, switch, etc...upgraded to Royal digital servos, had a button switch installed on the throttle--all for a tad over $600. Last time I looked the Transmitter alone was over $700--they must be clearing out for the EVO. Will that replace the Profi? ;)
The Royal Evo seems like a heck of a good radio can't wait to see it in the flesh. But It will not replace the MC 4000, nothing can replace the MC 4000

AJF--2 11-26-2002 01:57 AM

Multiplex Equipment?

Roger-I was refering to the 3030--not 4000-you are right-nothing can replace the 4000--(they can't even touch the 3030)

Forgues Research 11-26-2002 02:01 AM

Multiplex Equipment?

Roger-I was refering to the 3030--not 4000-you are right-nothing can replace the 4000--(they can't even touch the 3030)

OK, I had a 3030 for nearly 10 years, the only way I could let it go, was to sell to my best flying friend. At least I can keep an eye on it :) The best radio I have used and only surpassed by the 4000. Your right, nothing even today can touch the 3030 and man what a good deal you got on yours. good for you.

MTT 11-26-2002 02:03 AM

Multiplex Equipment?

Being german, I also browse around a lot on the german Rc-forums, and rumor there has it, that eventually the RE Line will replace the 30xx line ( the 3010 is already discontinued), but the 4000 remains top of the line ( at Multiplex and everywhere else ;) :D )

Michael
(diehard 3030 (hopefully soon 4000) user)

MrMPX 11-26-2002 12:24 PM

Multiplex Equipment?

LOL Roger I AM MULTIPLEX TO THE CORE!!!!!!!!! We work every day on promoting the MULTIPLEX line NOT 1:5 scale cars! Did you know I do not even import 1:5 scale cars any longer!!!

We are dedicated to the Multiplex line 100%

Serious you bet we are. We just do not have the backing of a major Multinational Asian company behind us. Our ads get burried because we dont buy 15 pages in a magazine like Great Planes and Horizon do!

Face it
Pico Line Americans don't get it. They buy two XX three channel radios then a XX 6 ch radio when they could have had one Pico for less.

Cockpit MM GREAT little sport radio but like a few other sport radios in its class it could be better. We are working on new software that will make it fit more pilots.

Royal EVO people will be hard pressed to buy a XX top of the line Asian Radio when the EVO will do more for less and have MULTIPLEX range and reliability!

3030 workhorse will be discontinued in a year or so. BUT as with all Multiplex radios the service will go on and on and on

PROFI 4000 we are quietly taking the top pilots from the others with the radio we sell a few a day. 90% of the Profi 4000s that go out now are to pilots who are or were sponsored by another company. They buy the Profi 4000 because it is the best of the best of the best. :D

Forgues Research 11-26-2002 01:17 PM

Multiplex Equipment?

Originally posted by MrMPX
LOL Roger I AM MULTIPLEX TO THE CORE!!!!!!!!! We work every day on promoting the MULTIPLEX line NOT 1:5 scale cars! Did you know I do not even import 1:5 scale cars any longer!!!

We are dedicated to the Multiplex line 100%

Serious you bet we are. We just do not have the backing of a major Multinational Asian company behind us. Our ads get burried because we dont buy 15 pages in a magazine like Great Planes and Horizon do!

Face it
Pico Line Americans don't get it. They buy two XX three channel radios then a XX 6 ch radio when they could have had one Pico for less.

Cockpit MM GREAT little sport radio but like a few other sport radios in its class it could be better. We are working on new software that will make it fit more pilots.

Royal EVO people will be hard pressed to buy a XX top of the line Asian Radio when the EVO will do more for less and have MULTIPLEX range and reliability!

3030 workhorse will be discontinued in a year or so. BUT as with all Multiplex radios the service will go on and on and on

PROFI 4000 we are quietly taking the top pilots from the others with the radio we sell a few a day. 90% of the Profi 4000s that go out now are to pilots who are or were sponsored by another company. They buy the Profi 4000 because it is the best of the best of the best. :D

My appologies Karlton on the 1/5 cars. Hey if I can do more to help you as before, I'm your man.

SwampFlier-RCU 11-26-2002 04:59 PM

Multiplex Equipment?

Hey Karlton, do you have any idea what the final price for the RE will be in the US??? Wild guesses and ball park figures accepted at this stage.......
I am in Central America (Honduras), so i have to import anyway...and I want to see if getting them from (maybe the UK) Europe is better (read cheaper :)); of cours I understand there are some frecuency issues as well
regards,
Patrick

AJF--2 11-26-2002 10:49 PM

I hear you Karlton--MPX to the core

I am glad MPX has finally found RCU. There are a bunch of people at this site--but as you read these threads, you will find only a handful of MPX users. It seems that the lay class is here preaching the gospel, while the clergy doesn't show up. I feel you do not need 2 page color ads to get the word out. As I look here--Hitec, Futaba, and JR all have reps answering questions about their product. As for MPX, we have "Harry and Roger." RCU also has advertising approtunities. I would really like to see the best equipment in the world get more exposure. You would be amazed at the crowd I draw at flyins wanting to see my radio--and it is the low end model. At a flyin Modelsport video magizine did an interview with me about my plane--then he also wanted to know about my transmitter! Seems he had never seen one. With this little exposure and steep prices, it is hard to get the word out. As I said earlier, I apperciate the great deal I got on the 3030--HOWEVER--I found out about it by mistake--while checking the website--looking for the EVO! The last time I looked it was WAY OUTTA MY PRICE RANGE. I wonder how many could be sold if people knew they could get a Transmitter that would easiley out-program the 10X or the 8+1 Zap--and right now it costs less than a 8103 transmitter. Again-I found out by accident--and I am already sold on the product. ;)
Another example is the problems perople are having with the Hitech digitial servos--This is a great time to let them know that MPX makes the Royal that is in the neighborhood pricewise, and super dependable.
Anyway, I am glad you found the site, and hope you will help get the word out.

HarryC 11-26-2002 10:54 PM

Re: I hear you Karlton--MPX to the core

Transmitter that would easiley out-program the 10 Zap .
I think you meant the "8+1 but only in PCM ZAP" :D

AJF--2 11-26-2002 11:06 PM

I EDITED MY POST!

Thanks Harry :) --it's good to have "back up" :D

Ladyflyer 11-26-2002 11:34 PM

Multiplex Equipment?

Quote:

"I have been using Multiplex for a over 20 years so I guess I'm not a follower."

......... I bought my first M'plex well over 20 years ago as well. They have indeed tried to market here, With very little note.
It seems to be more of the fervor is based on nationalism rather than product. Kind of like us die hard Proline flyers. But then again my Proline and Kraft stuff still works(very well) and it is a lot older than the M'plex !

MrMPX 11-27-2002 12:42 AM

Multiplex Equipment?

IMHO Phil Kraft should have never stopped making radios!

QUALITY NEVER goes out of style.

I will contact the owners of this August forum ot get an ad up ASAP.

We have a Multiplex Radio Users Group.
I just placed the Royal EVO 72MHz radio pricing on
http://www.RoyalHobby.com

In a few weeks when the first 200 EVOS hit the USA (all pre sold) We have room for more on the shipment BTW <VBG>

BTW my home number is 818 790-9908
My Work number is (818) 771-1003 I answer multiplex Questions all day and some times all night. I truly KNOW this is the the best of the BEST!

AJF--2 11-27-2002 03:44 AM

ARE YOU SURE?

......... I bought my first M'plex well over 20 years ago as well.
LF-If this is true, is that really you in the avatar :D :D (don't get mad--just a joke :p )

Forgues Research 11-27-2002 04:03 AM

Multiplex Equipment?

Originally posted by Ladyflyer
Quote:

"I have been using Multiplex for a over 20 years so I guess I'm not a follower."

......... I bought my first M'plex well over 20 years ago as well. They have indeed tried to market here, With very little note.
It seems to be more of the fervor is based on nationalism rather than product. Kind of like us die hard Proline flyers. But then again my Proline and Kraft stuff still works(very well) and it is a lot older than the M'plex !

Can't agree more, when I had to let go of my Proline, I went to Multiplex and never looked back.

Monarch97 11-27-2002 04:22 AM

Best Of The Best

Hello to all.

Being a neophyte in this hobby, I feel very fortunate to have a resource like RCU available to help guide my progress.

Like others, I am susceptible to manufacturers hype, and it is reassuring to hear the opinions of actual consumers when deciding on a major purchase.

It is becoming apparent to me that Multiplex products are, by some margin, the best of their kind on the market.

The high level of quality of craftsmanship, thoughtfulness of design, and practicality of utility, is obvious in every detail.

When considering the potential expense of any future radio equipment needs, Multiplex looks very cost effective.

Why is this brand so elusive on the American r/c scene?

Is this some kind of stealthy German marketing scheme to establish mystery, exclusivity, and prestige, before the price skyrockets?

In 1957 you could buy a brand new Porsche Speedster for $2000.

Do you see where I'm going with this story?

Mike

rorywquin 11-27-2002 01:20 PM

Multiplex Equipment?

I stand to be corrected but, as far as I can tell Multiplex don't do a hell of a lot of advertising in Europe either. A lot of their promotion appears to be through word of mouth and hobby shows!

I have only been on the RC scene for about 3 years and in that time they do seem to have become more widely known and in demand in the USA!

Multiplex also do not seem to be as popular in England as they are in Europe.

Could the reason that MPX are not as well liked in the UK and USA have anything to do with history?

to Quote Basil Fawlty: "Don't mention the war !!!!" :D

Forgues Research 11-27-2002 01:28 PM

Re: Best Of The Best

Originally posted by Monarch97
Hello to all.

Being a neophyte in this hobby, I feel very fortunate to have a resource like RCU available to help guide my progress.

Like others, I am susceptible to manufacturers hype, and it is reassuring to hear the opinions of actual consumers when deciding on a major purchase.

It is becoming apparent to me that Multiplex products are, by some margin, the best of their kind on the market.

The high level of quality of craftsmanship, thoughtfulness of design, and practicality of utility, is obvious in every detail.

When considering the potential expense of any future radio equipment needs, Multiplex looks very cost effective.

Why is this brand so elusive on the American r/c scene?

Is this some kind of stealthy German marketing scheme to establish mystery, exclusivity, and prestige, before the price skyrockets?

In 1957 you could buy a brand new Porsche Speedster for $2000.

Do you see where I'm going with this story?

Mike

When Proline and Kraft dominated the radio scene many years ago, Futaba came in with there entry level radios and Marketed it as if it was a Porsche. You see Radio control equipment for Futaba is a very small segment of there business. So they could easily come on and spend loads of money to market a new product and mass produce it to make a killing. Kraft and Proline could not do this and they slowly disapeared. JR (Japan Radio) did the same thing sometimes later so did Airtronics which is Sanwa.
Multiplex on the other hand is a much smaller company and a leader in innovation and quality. For instance, the first to bring the buddy box, PCM, my 20 year old Profi 2000 was ahead in frequency narowenes then the AMA today demands, the first to bring programable radios, first digital servos, first with programmable servos, there servo programer was about $50.00 while Hitec claims victory with there $150.00 servo programer.
The first with a failsafe receiver which is non PCM, they even abolished PCM, remember they brought PCM to the radio market.

Remember those switch/charge jack in one from JR, or Dubro or MPI, well my first switch of this nature is Multiplex which is over 20 years old, those are facts.
The only thing missing from Multiplex is the money to market there product the way the others do.

AJF--2 11-27-2002 01:41 PM

Multiplex Equipment?

I am still trying to figure out the large price difference between Europe and North America. I know sometimes the price is inflated to create an air of afflunce--or an appeal to only a small group of wealthy elite--(AKA Mercedes--I hear many stories of this being the average sedan in Germany, while being special here in the US)--As far as the war thing, were not the Japanese on the "other side" also.

Forgues Research 11-27-2002 02:01 PM

Multiplex Equipment?

I am still trying to figure out the large price difference between Europe and North America. I know sometimes the price is inflated to create an air of afflunce--or an appeal to only a small group of wealthy elite--(AKA Mercedes--I hear many stories of this being the average sedan in Germany, while being special here in the US)--As far as the war thing, were not the Japanese on the "other side" also.

When I was in the UK, I remember one of the Taxis I took was a Mercedes, but it was dry as a bone, no equipment whatsoever.
Here they come loaded, I suppose it makes a difference.