RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Taking transmitter as carry-on (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/382424-taking-transmitter-carry.html)

V-Tail 11-25-2002 03:27 PM

Taking transmitter as carry-on

Hi,

I'm going on a flight tommorrow. I hate to put my transmitter in it's case and then into luggage but am afraid to bring it as carry on.

I called them up at Delta and the lady said it did not appear on the list so there should be no problem. Not sure if I would trust that since years back I did have a problem and had to argue with the security people.

Anybody have any luck lately? Thanks in advance.

xp8103 11-25-2002 05:33 PM

Man... Thats a pain. I would say bring it with you and gate check it. But get there VERY early and get the check in out of the way.

CP140 11-25-2002 07:37 PM

Make sure the battery is charged so that you can demonstrate it for the security folks. I've been asked to switch on electronic items I have been carrying to "prove" they're real.

visioneer_one 11-25-2002 08:07 PM

I wouldn't check it. You'll probably end up explaining and demonstrating your tx to the gate/checkin folks. Not only is there the risk of damage or loss (which the airline won't cover) your bag might be one of the lucky few that gets x-rayed after you've checked in . . . then (if you're lucky) you get to explain and demonstrate the function of your TX twice only the second time it'll be to a 300lb. unsmiling airport security person.

OTOH if you take it in your hand luggage it will likely be treated the same way that they now handle laptops - pull it out of the bag, send it through the x-ray machine seperately, turn it on to demonstrate function, repack and walk on.

xp8103 11-26-2002 02:21 PM

I disagree on the carry on. Laptops and PDAs come thru the gates every day. The inspectors there are used to seeing them and have an expectation as to what functions they perform. An R/C transmitter is a completely different animal. First off, you are going to tell someone that it is a "transmitter", that it sends out radio signals. And it will likely look nothing like anything else these folks have seen. As for demostrating it, without an Rx and servos, all you can do is turn the swtich on and watch the meter come up. You will demonstrate nothing about it's functionality. Now, one can argue that simply turning on a laptop desmonstrates nothing but if windows comes up, that means that it atleast has the right components installed - and Windows coming up is an expected result. AGain, with a Tx, there is NO expected result.
Throw a batter, Rx and a couple of servos in it so you can demonstrate how it works. Put a picture of your plane in it, one with you and your son or daughter so you can tell the inspector that that is the plane that this transmitter controls.