RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Radio AM or FM (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/452302-radio-am-fm.html)

Dan_911 01-01-2003 05:40 PM

Radio AM or FM

Recently purchased my son T-maxx for Christmas. Got my RC airplane itch which I haven't done in years since my third airplane wreck.Went to basement and dug out milk crate's with old RC stuff such as power panel,electric fuel pump and starter,voltage meters and charges,OS .35 and OS .40 FP engines,radio and servos,etc...etc.Was looking through some hobby sites at ARF airplane trainers and noticed all combos come with Radio with says FM.My old radio is a Futaba FP-T4NL conquest AM(amplitude modulation). Could this still be used at my local airfield?Not sure of the difference of AM or FM.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Danny

Extra300s7 01-01-2003 06:12 PM

Radio AM or FM

Hey Danny,
I believe all you have to do is make sure that the receiver is dual conversion narrow band. You'll also want to get new batteries for the flight pack and transmitter. If you could afford it, I would look at purchasing a new radio, FM would be fine. If you have to replace the receiver, then new batteries, you will be pretty close to a new setup. I would check out Horizon Hobby (www.horizonhobby.com) for their JR equipment, I have an 8103 and love it. They also have some good deals on 6 channels too, depends on where you want to go. Welcome back!

Justin

Extra300s7 01-01-2003 06:16 PM

Radio AM or FM

Me again,
should have looked at your first post more clearly. Check out Tower Hobbies (www.towerhobbies.com) for their Futaba gear. Since you already have Futaba servos you probably would want to stay with that (up too late last night). You can get the 6-channel Skysport for only $200, that includes receiver, batteries, and 4 servos, heck of a deal! Hope this helps!

Justin

Dan_911 01-01-2003 06:58 PM

Radio AM or FM

Thanks Extra,

From your post, and the one i read below (FP-T5LK AM), is leading me to believe that AM is not legal for US.Have to say a bit disappointed since I have a perfectly working Futaba FP-T4NL 4 channel radio, 4 servos and receiver.I see Am radios are still being sold.What are they used for?Can any of my old servos be used with a new Futaba radio.Still not clear to me.See removable chip in back of radio and receiver.Can I put new chips to make FM?Again ,I would greatly appreciate any info.

Danny

Extra300s7 01-01-2003 07:16 PM

Radio AM or FM

Hey Danny,
Most likely the chips in the transmitter and receiver are just frequency crystals. I know of a couple of guys in my club that still use AM transmitters, they have just upgraded their receivers. The requirement for narrow band receivers went into affect about 8 years ago, I believe. I would also check your local clubs policy regarding AM transmitters. As far as equipment compatibility goes, there is a good chance that the servos would still work with a new system, my guess is that they are S148, however, you couldn't reuse your receiver.

Justin

Dan_911 01-01-2003 07:44 PM

Radio AM or FM

Thanks again Extra,I'm sure local club can answer all questions.Guess I'll have to wait and talk to them before i run out and by my new Trainer and start assembly.You been a great help!By the way servos say "FP-S48".Gave me a chill down my spine when you made me realize it's been over 8 years since my last plane....lol

jetranger-RCU 01-01-2003 09:16 PM

radio

Your old radio is still good send it out to Kraft Midwest he will narrow band the TX but the RX can be tightened but not to gold. The servos will not work with a new set the connector are the old 3pin you will have the replace them with new connectors, If you need batteries then the cost is not great. Get a new radio $150 and under keep the old one fix it up use it in a sport plane

Dan_911 01-01-2003 09:57 PM

Radio AM or FM

Thanks for you reply Jetranger,Went to Futaba site and saw a narrow band receiver R114H with J connectors to replace my wide band RH4 with G connectors.Not sure what you were talking about with tx and rx ,but I will check Kraft Midwest site and read up and try to learn.I see in transmitter a removable chip that says tx 42 and in receiver rx42.Can I just remove chip in old receiver and put in new one?I was hoping there was some sought of adapter from a G connector to a J.I enjoy building as much as flying ,so I know i will be getting another set-up for another plane soon.just like to utilize working system I have.

strato911 01-01-2003 09:58 PM

Radio AM or FM

Danny - I still use my old Futaba Attack4 (AM) radio. Here's a link to Futaba's FAQ regarding determining if your radio is still legal, or can be converted to make it legal:
http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/service-faq.html#q41

Dan_911 01-01-2003 10:28 PM

Radio AM or FM

Thanks for reply Dennis, even though the info I found was very disappointing. FP-T4NL was on the list of not legal and cannot be made legal.It saved me alot of time and possibly some money.

strato911 01-01-2003 10:32 PM

Radio AM or FM

Sorry to hear that - I was lucky enough to buy mine already gold-stickered at the factory. Mine is the T4NBL.

jetranger-RCU 01-02-2003 12:10 AM

radio

Tower does not want to up date older radios. They still can be updated. What I ment buy The TX and RX, if you send them to Kraft Midwest, Pete Waters can update then to gold The TX can be , but the RX may not make it, he can tighten up the RX to be more useable and you can still use it, all depends on how much you want to spend. The chip as you call is the crystal for the feq. if you order a new RX get it on the same feq. as the TX

ssboucher 01-02-2003 05:11 AM

Radio AM or FM

Please check with your club. Only 1 of my 4 old radios have been narrow banded (gold stickered) and my club will let me use them as long as no one is on an adjoining channel. When I am using say chan. 54 I have to also take the markers (clothes pins) for channels 53 and 55 as well. But if something happened, I may be throwing my AMA insurance out the window.
Steve

smokingcrater 01-02-2003 06:11 AM

Radio AM or FM

Quote:

But if something happened, I may be throwing my AMA insurance out the window.
and possibly very large FCC fines, among other problems. not something I would recommend, but with that said I've got friends who run old radio equipment on a private lake with boats. no one close enough to ever be concerned...

ssboucher 01-02-2003 06:42 AM

Radio AM or FM

Quote:

Originally posted by rkramer

and possibly very large FCC fines, among other problems.

Point taken! :eek:

beaslera 01-04-2003 02:08 AM

AM vs FM technology

this webpage helped me understand the difference between AM and FM radios.
http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/Radios.htm