RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   I am shocked! Lost my 33% Edge because of the 9C receiver... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/4587706-i-am-shocked-lost-my-33%25-edge-because-9c-receiver.html)

serge1 08-05-2006 08:15 PM

I am shocked! Lost my 33% Edge because of the 9C receiver...

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings all,

Well this is a very bad day for me. I lost my beloved Edge today. 200+ flights and was flying like a dream... I was practicing my intermediate sequence when I lost control of the plane. It went smoothly to the ground but its totaled. On the ground, the receiver and servos were still under power but the servos were not responding. They just stopped working all together. I am totally confused. Battery voltage and everything were ok. Later in the day I stripped out the receiver an put the servos on it for some test..

Quess what? Everything is working fine... I double checked everything. I am totally lost.

Anyone here ever have a 'soft failure ' like this?

What the hell went wrong?

My set up:

Futaba 9C with 149DP receiver
2 X 6V battery packs on 2 separate switch.
Hitec 5945 all around.

I appreciate your help quys.

Thanks a bunch.

Serge

Matt Merciez 08-05-2006 08:29 PM

RE: I am shocked! Lost my 33% Edge because of the 9C receiver...

Serge,

Did you have any kind of failsafe programmed into the receiver? You said when the plane was on the ground, the servos had power but were not responding, this sounds like a transmitter/receiver issue.

Panzlflyer 08-05-2006 08:33 PM

Lost my extra like that, it just flew past me locked out in failsafe.
End result was an out of tune tranny module and maybe a bad component in the reciever.
Like you everything checked out after the crash until I lost another small plane and sent it all in for a checkup.

My range check before the wrecks was at least 100ft, after the checkup more like 300ft, wouldnt hurt to send it in for tuning etc.

redfox435cat 08-06-2006 02:21 AM

that receiver has been dubbed the (149 dead plane) at our field for a long time now. We've lost over a dozen, some on land many over water. there is a filter in it that is notorious for either going intermittently or die all together. I won't touch it with 10 foot pole

serge1 08-06-2006 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt Merciez

Serge,

Did you have any kind of failsafe programmed into the receiver? You said when the plane was on the ground, the servos had power but were not responding, this sounds like a transmitter/receiver issue.

Hi Matt

The failsafe was set to normal on my 9C. I agree, it sounds like a receiver/transmitter issue.

I will have to dig into that problem.

Thanks

Serge

serge1 08-06-2006 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: redfox435cat

that receiver has been dubbed the (149 dead plane) at our field for a long time now. We've lost over a dozen, some on land many over water. there is a filter in it that is notorious for either going intermittently or die all together. I won't touch it with 10 foot pole

Damn...I am shocked to learn about that.

Thanks
Serge

Panzlflyer 08-06-2006 08:10 PM

Yep they said the filter was bad in my 149 and it may have been bad or caused by crash, but it does filter out noise, so if it fails I guess you could go into failsafe and it still work on the ground.

stirlo 08-06-2006 10:13 PM

Hi Serge1,
I suffered a similar misfortune with my Extra, I was using the same reciever and it went into fail safe off the end of the runway on take off.....
I didnt have the fail safe set up so it just froze the servos where they were... full throttle impact.
I was able to replicate the problem in the reciever later, at about 50mtrs the reciever go's into fail safe, weather the TX Arial is up or down makes no difference,
this is what got me I performed an aerial down test before flight and at 50mtrs I assumed it was fine.
The Aeial may be broken inside the rx but it tested fine out side of the rx. I am binning the rx, not risking another plane over an Rx!!!

Stirlo

Aresti-RCU 08-07-2006 06:09 PM

I had a similar experience with a 149DP and a 148DF (FM and PCM) I sent the receivers in for service and they replaced a voltage regulator and a ceramic filter. Both servos died in the same circumstances, i.e. running in the engine in the plane. I usually put the engines through 4-5 tanks in a test stand but also run 1 or 2 tanks in the plane to make sure everythings stays in place, the fuel lines are clear, etc. I tracked down the problem to a too stiff "soft" mount (it seems an oxymoron but it is true!) I actually replaced the dead 149DP with the 148DF and it also died. I have been flying the plane (a F3A plane) with the same setup but I heavily isolated the Rx with rubberfoam. I am blaming vibration beacuse the throttle servo (a Hitec HS81) went down recently. It only works at full deflection but hunts when in mid point. By the way, both Rx died with the engine running half throttle. It is too much of a coincidence, isn't it?

Anyhow, my experience tells me vibration is the killer for both Rx. I am flying a 127DF in the plane now and I am too afraid to risk my new 5014 14 channel Rx.,..

Geistware 08-07-2006 09:38 PM

That sounds like me.
I don't want to risk my last R-149DP so I use a R138DP instead! [X(]

ORIGINAL: Aresti-RCU

Anyhow, my experience tells me vibration is the killer for both Rx. I am flying a 127DF in the plane now and I am too afraid to risk my new 5014 14 channel Rx.,..

tande 08-08-2006 01:18 PM

Hey Guys!---I too had a 149DP die on the runway (lucky)---Sent it to "Futaba"---They "Repaired" it, sent it back with the following note; "Replaced Worn Antenna"---I did'nt know antennas "Wore" out---I'm afraid to use it!!

Gremlin Castle 08-08-2006 04:14 PM

Don't you just love when you can get such great service?;)
They were able to determine that the two 149s that I sent back were out of warranty but they said nothing about the antenna condition so maybe I should send them back>:D

Oh,wait now I remember, I cut off the antennae and tossed them in the junk box.:)

ORIGINAL: tande

Hey Guys!---I too had a 149DP die on the runway (lucky)---Sent it to "Futaba"---They "Repaired" it, sent it back with the following note; "Replaced Worn Antenna"---I did'nt know antennas "Wore" out---I'm afraid to use it!!