RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Synthesized Module Question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/538999-synthesized-module-question.html)

Airborn 02-07-2003 02:34 AM

Synthesized Module Question

Hello All,
I have a question about a Hitec spectra Synthesized Module in a Futaba 8uaP radio. The radio in question has shot down two airplanes, both on different freq. The reaction of both airplanes was the same....as if someone turned a radio on with the same freq. and total lockout for the pilot. The radio with the syn. module was without a doubt the cause of both crashes (We were able to test both planes after recovery for interference). Replacing the hitec syn. module with the futaba module seemed to fix this problem.
Has anyone ever had this problem , and if so does anyone know why?
Thanks a bunch.......Airborn

Jim Schwagle 02-07-2003 03:10 AM

My guess would be the Hitec module was designed for a Hitec, not Futaba. I have read where the pinouts are the same but...

You're using something designed for another brand, I don't think I would risk an airplane that way.

JohnBuckner 02-07-2003 06:17 AM

Plus the fact that FCC representative's have been published in the AMA magazine with the statement that doing this will negate the the FCC certification of the TX as well as similar warnings from both manufacturers involved supplimented by many warnings on all these forums.

The point is no manufacturer has tested/certificated their tx with their competitors module and why would they. The bottom line is nobody really knows what the true performance of these hybred combinations is. Any club/field or individual that freely allows that is at just as much risk as if they allowed wide band equipment.

John

4*60 02-07-2003 09:39 AM

I agree completely it should not be done and won't do it myself , but there have been many who supposedly have done this. Based on the success, which I would not recommend, I would have to conclude that this particular module has a problem and should be checked or scrapped.

ec121k 02-07-2003 11:42 AM

If you do a search of the past threads, you will see this has been hashed out numerous times.

I believe I remember reading in one of the posts that the Hitec module is likely to pull the Futaba slightly off frequency too. It was several months back. Might be something to run up the flag pole in the Futaba "board".

The other factor, and it's a biggie, is that if an accident/injury or worse takes place because of this the AMA insurance for your club and the "violator" will most likely be cancelled.

My other thought on this subject looking back on the overall picture is: How did two different manufacturers come up with a "nearly" compatible module? Makes you wonder who's sleeping with whom on the other side of the world doesn't it?