RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba crystals in old Airtronics??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/554353-futaba-crystals-old-airtronics.html)

t4 02-13-2003 03:03 AM

Futaba crystals in old Airtronics???

Hey--my first post on RCU.

Has anyone had any success using Futaba crystals in early '90s gold sticker Airtronics transmitter & receiver? I wonder what, if any, problem(s) this might present?

MikeL 02-13-2003 03:32 AM

Other than it not working, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Lynx 02-13-2003 04:00 AM

What is the deal with Futaba crystals? What is it about them that are different than 'standard' crystals?

jetranger-RCU 02-13-2003 03:20 PM

crystals

Use the crystal made for the radio crystals are cut different for each radio

Steve Lewin 02-13-2003 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Lynx
What is the deal with Futaba crystals? What is it about them that are different than 'standard' crystals?
Basically it's that there is no such thing as a standard crystal. A Futaba crystal in an Airtronics Rx is about as likely to work as Ford brake disc on a GM car. It might be similar or it might not :(.

Steve

Lynx 02-13-2003 09:54 PM

What I don't understand is why? Do they just use slightly different reference frequencies to piss people off? That's all the crystal's are for. And if you can't interchange crystals with different brands then what frequency do these crystals ACTUALLY vibrate at? Because it's obviously not the frequency on the crystal itself, or they'd be interchangeable.

Steve Lewin 02-14-2003 09:03 AM

There is a lot more to the specification of a crystal than just the frequency. And the resonant frequency of the crystal is usually not the channel frequency marked on it for various reasons. In fact it is never that frequency for a receiver crystal.

It's one of those things where either you learn a fair amount about the way RF electronics actually work and then analyse exactly if particular crystals are likely to be interchangeable or you just use the specified crystal. 'Fraid I don't have time for the complete tutorial but there's plenty of information about if you're really interested.

Steve

Ladyflyer 02-14-2003 07:58 PM

In transmitters ,some transmitters use a different frequency multiplication scheme. The crystal oscillator may be require a different loading of the crystal. The capacitve loading of the crystal will also dictate a different crystal.

So much for the "A CRYSTAL is A CRYSTAL" stuff that has been spouted here recently huh ? And so much for the new Amateur Extra Class examination since one of those folks was an Extra Class amateur. :eek:
No evil conspiracy just an engineering call. Still the right crystal is the way to go.