RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Would you still use Nicd for RX pack? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/6095165-would-you-still-use-nicd-rx-pack.html)

Magna 07-10-2007 07:19 PM

Would you still use Nicd for RX pack?

I'm setting up a model with multiple servo(digital, hi torque analog) for my model. Though I don't fly aggresively but servo can place lots of load onto the RX pack.

Due to limited local access and funds, I'm looking at the Nicd as my RX pack.

Sanyo CP1700SCR or Sanyo KR2300SCE. Both have very low Internal Resistance of about 5.5 micro ohms.

I can also use RC2400 nicd that have about 4.5m ohms.

I have another pack of Sanyo 2700 HRAU nimh pack but its int resistance is like 20m ohms...

No lipo for me yet on RX pack...

onewasp 07-10-2007 07:41 PM

RE: Would you still use Nicd for RX pack?

Take a look at Sanyo FAUP-1950 NiMH cells. They have only 4mOhms impedance and are priced competitively.

Go to www.hangtimes.com (no BS Batteries) good service, competitive prices-----I've used them with satisfaction. I recommend that you consider the 5 cell (6volt) packs. Without regulators of any kind.

fizzwater2 07-11-2007 12:01 AM

I don't fly big planes, but do use nothing but NiCd 300mah packs in pylon racers.

rmh 07-11-2007 08:09 AM

Ni Cad -of course - you already know th e value of low impedance cells -and Ni Cad or Ni Mh - makes no difference as long as capacity stays ahead of use.

SwampFlier-RCU 07-11-2007 12:01 PM

NiCd are reliable, easy to use and charge but heavy compared to the others
I think in most areas outside of the US and Europe and even in US and Europe the use of NiCd for RC exceeds the use of NImH or newer technology
Fear not the NICds

dirtybird 07-11-2007 12:13 PM

Every NIMH battery I ever had in a laptop went belly up in about a year. I use NiCDs. I have some NiCDs in a drill that are 10 years old and still are useful

Parkerm 07-11-2007 06:40 PM

NICADS for me !! They are cheap (comparetivly) reliable and I have all the chargers, cyclers etc, plus I also understand them. A big investment in money and learning acquired over a long time.

summerwind 07-11-2007 07:47 PM

after using NiMH for my photo flashes, and then getting a Maha charger that analyzes cells individually, and witnessing how a NiMH can go belly up in a moments notice, i'll never use them for any Rx power. Nicd's only.
the one exception here however is Sanyo's new Eneloops.........these cells are simply amazing......they hold almost all there charge well after most if not all other NiMH cells have gone dead.
but i still would not trust NiMH cells for Rx packs unless you have a field charger with you.

XJet 07-11-2007 11:21 PM

Well I guess I'm going to buck the trend here and say that it's NiMH for me all the way.

I've got NiMH packs that are now four years old and still have 85% of their original capacity so I think (as long as you choose a quality brand), lifetime isn't an issue.

Likewise, I use the Intellec 1400mAH 2/3A packs which have an internal resistance of around 5mOhm and can supply 20A continuous -- which is better than you'll *ever* need in a flight pack. My 50cc 3D ship has two of these packs in parallel and despite having a total of 9 servos, including 3 HS5955TGs I still get 3-4 good flights before the voltspy even starts to flicker.

Oly 07-12-2007 12:27 AM

I find the NiCads last longer and are very reliable. I have even gone back to NiCads for my transmitter, after having a NiMh go bad very quickly. Luckily, I was paying attention and didn't lose the plane.

Oly

pilotpete2 07-12-2007 06:55 AM

Another vote for Nicds here, but I am very interested in the new eneloops for transmitter duty.
Currently I am using 1100mah Sanyo Nicds in my new 9C with the 700mah Futaba pack as a hot spare. I am using 5 cell 1100mah packs in my glow powered models, as I take up to 5 models to the field (mix of glow and electric) running low on power on one of the glow birds has not been an issue.
I have been flying my 2M thermal ship on lipo power for two years now, plus some smaller parkies. My positive experience with using lipos with an FMA Cellpro 4S charger is making me reconsider the possibility of using 2S lipo and regulator for on board power for larger planes, gassers in particular as I am considering a gas powered project for next season.
Regards to all,
Pete

ChuckA 07-12-2007 10:02 PM

I have been using Nicads in all my transmitters and airborne packs since 1963 and have a complete set of charging and cycling equipment. I cycle them periodically and replace any packs that have less than 90% of the rated capacity. I have never had an airborne battery failure. I have had bad experiences with Nimh batteries in my cameras and laptops so see no reason to use them in my models. My Evo transmitters have Nimh batteries but will install Nicad when they need replacing.