RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Can't believe this happened!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/6132622-cant-believe-happened.html)

mciaglia 07-19-2007 07:08 PM

Can't believe this happened!!

So my field box tipped over in may car and dumped ~1/2 gallon of 15% nitro on my spektrum transmitter[:@]. The battery was soaked. I opened the back to check inside and several of the boards had oil on them. I am currently trying to dry it out. I need some advice...send it back to spektrum and have them check it out or buy a new system. I have not turned it on yet so I don't know if my data is lost or if the whole transmitter is ruined. I would hate to chance it and lose one of my planes, have a few bigger ones on it. What is the consensus?

Mark

Pi$$ed off!!!1

pilotpete2 07-19-2007 07:23 PM

RE: Can't believe this happened!!

I would definitely send it in to Horizon for service. As far as losing the settings, you may be lucky, as the newer JR radios use an EEPROM or NVRAM to store the settings, rather than the old lithium battery backup as in the past.
Now one more bit of advise (I know you don't want to hear this) please buy a nice inexpensive radio case for your radio, I have used the inexpensive plastic ones that tower has sold for years, cheap insurance.
Good luck, I hope the damage is minimal,
Pete

P-40 DRIVER 07-19-2007 07:30 PM

The nice thing is that if Horizon thinks it not repairable they will probably sell you a new transmitter at half price, at least thats what they did when I drowned my receiver in fuel.

tail strike 07-19-2007 08:13 PM

Hey Mark as far as a transmitter case, go to your local hareware store ( here in Las Vegas we have "Home Depot")
they have a case for electrical type persons or what ever, looks just like a JR xmiter case has foam in it that is cut so you can remove what ever you want for your spacific needs.
$20.00:D

Plane Addicted 07-20-2007 08:26 AM

Hey Mark good luck with your transmitter. I don't know for sure, but could you clean off the fuel with some kind of electrical cleaning solution? Maybe check out a local electrical supply house and see if they have any such thing. I know it something electronic get wet with water. You need to only dry off all the water and it is fine. If you can get the fuel off and then let it dry off then you might be fine.

Also, transmitter case, if you don't have a Home Depot by you, Menard's or Lowes should also have the silver electrician cases. I have three of then and it saves alot on wear and tear. Here is a link to Lowes web page with the case - http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...132&lpage=none

Anyway, good luck
John

goliathman 07-20-2007 07:46 PM

happened to me once. get a couple of quarts of isopropl alcohol and some canned air. flush the radio in the iso and blow it off with the air.

mciaglia 08-02-2007 09:00 AM

So just wanted to update with the outcome of this fiasco!!! I sent the transmitter back to Horizon/Spektrum to have them check it out. After 2 days of anticipation I got the phone call that t would be ~$140.00 to repair and clean the circuit boards. In addition, they would not be able to guarantee the work. I switched to Spektrum so I would not have to worry about the radio and now that is what I was going to have to do. Wondering each time if this was the last time a 2.4 ghz transmission would be emmitted. So...I asked if they had any transmitters that were not part of the complete set that they could sell. The tech told me he was going to have to research that and talk with his supervisor. He was going to call back in a day or two. Well, about 45 minutes later I got a call that they were going to replace my transmitter free of charge with a brand new transmitter. They are sending it out today via FedEx. All I can say is that is GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. With all the spread spectrum technology they have to keep their customers happy. I AM!!!

Mark

pilotpete2 08-02-2007 09:28 AM

Mark,
Great news, no substitute for good customer service[8D]
Now have you ordered a Tx case already yet.
Cheers,
Pete

Zeeb 08-03-2007 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Mark,
Great news, no substitute for good customer service[8D]
Now have you ordered a Tx case already yet.
Cheers,
Pete
Ummm....

You either have to modify an existing case or get say, a pistol case from the local sporting goods store. That's what I did for my DX-7, Horizon has a nifty case for the Spektrum and I backordered one back in May for my new X9303 since JR doesn't have a case for them yet, it was supposed to be here mid-June. As of now I have no case and the website as well as Horizon CS have no clue when the cases, or the new radios will be available...[:o]

rmh 08-03-2007 09:42 AM

Sears n Sawbuck have some nifty little yellow n black plastic tool boxes whch have a tray in the top and the DX7 fits perfectly - turned lengthwise in bottom of box and the antenna can still be folded upward.
I put my condiments in the top of the box and a samwitch 'n the tx in the bottom --
I still have one lovely old JR 10X box but these things are space wasters and I use it for storing old pictures of movie stars , Lash Larue , Fatty Arbuckle etc..

mciaglia 08-03-2007 09:43 AM

Bought the case from Home Depot and custom cut foam so I can fit both my Futaba and Spektrum transmitters. I have learned a lesson!!! Luckily it onl;y cost me $9.00 for shipping and another 25 for the radio case. Thanks for all the support.

Mark

CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK IN THE AIR!!!

pilotpete2 08-03-2007 10:08 AM

Hi Zeeb,
Maybe we need to get Inspector Clouseau on the case of the missing cases:)
Then the case would be solv-ed;)
Pete

pilotpete2 08-03-2007 10:16 AM

Mark,
Good luck with the new DX7.
O.T. I used to fly in Ocean County, NJ with an old timer from Staten Island, incredible builder and glider guider.
His name is Sal C. Know him?
Regards,
Pete

Zeeb 08-03-2007 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Hi Zeeb,
Maybe we need to get Inspector Clouseau on the case of the missing cases:)
Then the case would be solv-ed;)
Pete
Who would you suggest I contact first about locating the venerable inspector? Blake Edwards or Steve Martin as Peter Sellers is no longer available...:)

rmh 08-03-2007 03:25 PM

Nancy Drew or The Hardy boys -