RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   2.4 Satisfaction Poll (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/6149523-2-4-satisfaction-poll.html)

TLH101 07-24-2007 08:34 AM

2.4 Satisfaction Poll

How do you feel about the 2.4 system you are currently using? Actual users only please.;)
If you are having problems, please elaborate.

MinnFlyer 07-24-2007 08:48 AM

RE: 2.4 Satifaction Poll

I have a Futaba 6EX 2.4Ghz and the best thing I can say is - I have never noticed any difference between it and any 72mhz system I have.

Except for the fact that I have a minor heart attack every once in a while when I look down and think I forgot to pull out my antenna! :D

DadsToysBG 07-24-2007 09:05 AM

Using Spektrum in three 40% gas with out a hitch. Dennis

Bob Pastorello 07-24-2007 09:08 AM

You should add "Spektrum Modules" to your poll, I think.
At any rate, running DX 7's since December, 4 30% gassers, all fine. Running 9303 module Spektrum now, AR7000's, AR9000's, no problems with any of them.

(Of course, I had no problems on JR 72mhz, except for the shoot down... [:o]-)

TLH101 07-24-2007 10:12 AM

"Spektrum" is "Spektrum". I don't want to get the poll too busy.

d_wheel 07-24-2007 12:48 PM

Your poll does not allow me to vote for more than 1 brand, so I had to vote for Futaba. If I could have voted for more than one, it would have been Futaba and Spektrum, Love it; XPS minor problems.

Later;

D.W.

TLH101 07-24-2007 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: d_wheel

Your poll does not allow me to vote for more than 1 brand, so I had to vote for Futaba. If I could have voted for more than one, it would have been Futaba and Spektrum, Love it; XPS minor problems.

Later;

D.W.
Changed to allow multiple options. Did not occur to me that someone might own a couple of different brands.:eek:

Edwin 07-24-2007 02:55 PM

RE: 2.4 Satisfaction Poll

Spektrum. Have three receivers with two currently in regular flyers. The third is waiting on a plane to get finished. No problems at all. I'm going to sit on these for now and see how things shake out over the next year or so.
Edwin

Parkerm 07-25-2007 05:42 PM

XPS for me !!! I flew my 1/4 scale Spacewalker II again today on my JR 8103 w XPS module and receiver. For those that haven't noticed the difference, I HAVE !! Control is rock solid and the plane reacts almost before my thumbs move. I can't believe the difference in reaction time. This plane was on 72 mhz (ch 17) before I converted to XPS and it was definitely slower to respond. I don't know about the other 2.4 systems but XPS rocks !! Now if they could just clear up that supply & demand issue ?[&o]

tande 07-25-2007 09:16 PM

XPS for me !!!
Me Too!!

Foamaholic 07-25-2007 10:16 PM

XPS for me too. I have 5 receivers and they are all perfect.

AirWizard 07-25-2007 10:27 PM

DX7 in 3 planes with no problems

Abras 07-26-2007 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: aerobob

At any rate, running DX 7's since December, 4 30% gassers, all fine. Running 9303 module Spektrum now, AR7000's, AR9000's, no problems with any of them.
Did you found any difference between running a stock Spektrum(dx7) and a module one? Response time? Anything?

Bob Pastorello 07-26-2007 08:53 AM

Just the no "Model Match" feature (it's only on the redesigned X9303 and DX7).
I was not able to perceive a difference in how the airplanes performed, and I used the 9303 on existing DX7/AR7000 setups with no changes.

Abras 07-26-2007 10:19 AM

Because using a module the response time is from a PCM radio, it receives a PCM signal and converts to 2.4.
So theorically DX7 have a faster response time.

Good to hear that you didn't feel any changes.

Thanks.

Bob Pastorello 07-26-2007 10:30 AM

Not correct; the modules are actually using the PPM ("FM") signal from the encoder. Requires you to set modulation at "PPM" in the TX, and this is faster than PCM rate in nearly all transmitters. It has a better response than I would have expected.

daven 07-26-2007 10:43 AM

Just curious, to those that reported minor problems, what are they?

Abras 07-26-2007 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Not correct; the modules are actually using the PPM ("FM") signal from the encoder. Requires you to set modulation at "PPM" in the TX, and this is faster than PCM rate in nearly all transmitters. It has a better response than I would have expected.
You are right, but 2.4 is still faster than PPM(FM). Thanks

Ed 07-26-2007 11:39 AM

Got the DX-7 / AR-7000 combination in 5 giant scale gas, or glow powered aircraft, and all perform flawlessly. It's the best R/C link ever !

Life is good. :D

> Jim

aeajr 08-13-2007 03:27 AM

Based on this survey, seems all the 2.4 GHz systems work well.

Of the folks who answered this survey, anyone using them in gliders?

Foamaholic 08-13-2007 08:38 AM

Easystar and Cularis, not much carbon in them though.

retired06 08-13-2007 10:13 AM

Crashed two electrics within 50 feet of takeoff. Good range check, fresh batteries on RX and TX. Total loss of all control and motor function. By the time I had walked to the planes full function had returned - less than 20 seconds. I'm definately concerned about putting this thing in anything other than foamies. May have to go back to the HITEC stuff I've flown for years with NO problems. It may be worth the trouble of "sharing a pin"!

aeajr 08-13-2007 10:29 AM

No idea what the problem could be but I will mention that the zero signal off the tip of the antenna on these systems seems to be more pronounced than on the 72 Mhz. That is just based on chatter I have read.

Turning the antenna up so the side faces the plane is very important, again not based on personal experience but based on readings. I know there are three Spekturms in our club. Two DX6s and a DX7. They are being used to fly Easy Gliders/Easy Glider Electrics which we fly very high and far out and no one is having range problems. Two are using the AR6000 receivers with DX6 and one is using the AR7000 receiver.

altacom 08-15-2007 12:20 AM

I use the XPS module on my Futaba 9C transmitter, with the XPS 8 channel Receiver.

Hate to admit to stupidity, but as a testimonial to the SS systems and XPS specifically, I submit the following.

Got to the field to fly my 12 year old Viking old timer. Made sure the Transmitter was set to the correct aircraft, plugged in the batteries, and proceeded to the flight line to take off. Takeoff was normal, and climbout to about 150 ft. and abut 300 ft. from the flightline. Then What the @#$%!! Total loss of control. The plane weather cocked into the wind, and kept climbing with no control whatsoever. Then I noticed there was no stub antenna on the transmitter. Oops!

Well I figured the plane was history, but what the heck. I pointed the back of the transmitter at the plane as I would for a range check, the plane was at least 300 ft. up and 500 ft. out by now, still climbing and going away. But Voila! I got control back. So I kept the back of the transmitter pointed at the plane, and brought it back for a normal landing.

Bet I won't forget the stub antenna in the future, but thanks to the XPS system, I may be able to fly the plane for another 12 years.

Ed 08-15-2007 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: retired06

Crashed two electrics within 50 feet of takeoff. Good range check, fresh batteries on RX and TX. Total loss of all control and motor function. By the time I had walked to the planes full function had returned - less than 20 seconds. I'm definately concerned about putting this thing in anything other than foamies. May have to go back to the HITEC stuff I've flown for years with NO problems. It may be worth the trouble of "sharing a pin"!
Not much to go on here. :eek: Tx, Rx, BEC, ESC, battery size, etc, etc ? ? ? [:o]