RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   2.4GHz DYNAMIC TESTING (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/6953497-2-4ghz-dynamic-testing.html)

JCINTEXAS 01-22-2008 10:13 PM

2.4GHz DYNAMIC TESTING

DYNAMIC TESTING FOR WORRY-FREE FLYING:

Dynamic Testing goes well beyond the standard "range check" which should be regularly performed in accordance with a radio manufacturer's instructions found in the Owners Manual. Dynamic testing is conducted by creating rigorous conditions under which to test your radios.

Here are some examples:
1. Place your 2.4GHz transmitter in a location such that the RF signal must pass through physical barriers to reach the receiver. I have done this by putting the transmitter inside a room and locating the receiver in a distant room. The RF signal then must pass through 3 or 4 walls of my house. My wife moves the control sticks as I observe my receiver and servos for normal operation. I have also placed my receiver behind a 30 gallon aquarium and various other RF barriers including my car. The RF signal lock has remained rock solid. Use your imagination in creating barriers for the RF signal to penetrate.
When satisfied that your radio can do this, make the RF environment more "hostile".

2. Place an "alien" 2.4GHz emitter within 2 feet of your receiver. (2.4GHz cordless phone, cordless earphones, Baby Monitor, WiFi xmitter) With this active alien 2.4 GHz emitter close to your receiver and your transmitter still in the remote location, check to determine if you still have a solid "RF Lock" between your transmitter and receiver.
When satisfied that your radio can do this, make the RF environment more "hostile".

3. Turn off your receiver and transmitter. Leave the alien 2.4GHz emitter(s) active. Turn on your receiver while leaving your transmitter turned off. Check for harmful interference. A properly operating 2.4GHz RC receiver should reject any interference from the alien emitter(s).

4. With the alien emitter(s) still active, turn on your RC transmitter. Your receiver should quickly reacquire the signal from your transmitter and operate normally.

5. This test requires one or more additional 2.4GHz RC transmitters. Turn on the transmitter to which your receiver has been "bound". Place it in a remote location as per described above. Place a seperate 2.4GHz RC transmitter within 3 feet of your receiver and turn it on. Now turn-on the receiver. Check to determine if their is any harmful interference. Your receiver should acquire the RF signal from the transmitter to which it has been bound and should operate normally.

I have two Futaba FASST radios (6 and 7 channel). Both radios have passed all of these tests with flying colors. I have not detected a single glitch.

I hope others in this Forum will run tests such as I have described here and will keep us all informed of their results.

Regards
J.C.