RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Help- Confused between Hitech optic 6 and Futaba faast spektrum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/7027599-help-confused-between-hitech-optic-6-futaba-faast-spektrum.html)

q8cub 02-05-2008 11:07 AM

Help- Confused between Hitech optic 6 and Futaba faast spektrum

I was impressed by the idea of not having to worry about a frequency interference issue with the new spektrum type of radios until I read some issues about the Futaba faast radio system over here in rcu. Some people talked about the receivers becoming dead in the middle of flight. If it is true, is this a Futaba specific issue? Or is it a technology related issue?

So, I would appreciate some experts help on this subject.

Common sense tells me that new technology usually takes first and second cuts to mature. In our case, I would guess 2-3 years in real life application testing would be sufficient to find out the reliability of these new non-crystal systems. Until then we do not have enough data to support 100% trust in such systems imo.

Does anyone agree ?

Thanks in advance!

ira d 02-05-2008 11:13 AM

RE: Help- Confused between Hitech optic 6 and Futaba faast spektrum

The Optic has had issues as well, I would go with the Futaba and I do
own both.

q8cub 02-05-2008 11:21 AM

Thanks for the quick reply :) This is indeed a small world !

Actually what I was asking about is the technology more than the manufacturer. Is a 2.4 system reliable ?

Thanks again!

DadsToysBG 02-05-2008 11:52 AM

The numbers of 2.4 users in the country is growing every day, with little or no trouble. At the biggest heli. event ever held in this country at Muncie, Ind. 750 pilots were there with only a 120 on 72. The rest were on 2.4. The numbers tell the story. No radio trouble was reported by the pilots during the event. They had 15 stations and flew until dark. Dennis

aeajr 02-08-2008 11:07 PM

2.4 is solid. Read the manual carefully as the installation is done a little differently from 72 MHz.

They don't like carbon fuselages as it more easily blocks the 2.4 GHz signal.

Make sure your receiver battery is up to the task, or that your BEC in your ESC is not overloaded. If the voltage drops too low, the receiver will reboot, like a computer. It is fast, but just the same, make sure your power system is properly sized.

You will like it!

Rodney 02-09-2008 11:23 AM

As aeajr says, about the only way either the Futaba or Spectrum will loose lock in the air is when a negative voltage glitch hits the receiver. As long as your battery capacity is adequate and you have adequate quality (current carrying capacity) wiring and switch, no problems.