RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba 12FG 2.4 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/7059925-futaba-12fg-2-4-a.html)

SoCalSal 02-11-2008 05:53 PM

Futaba 12FG 2.4

Hi all, My lady friend has just told me she bought me a Futuba 12FG 2.4 system for Valintines Day. But I know nothing about all this 2.4 stuff. It seems that there are all kinds of problems with 2.4 no matter who's brand is on it.
My question is should I tell her that we should send it back and get a plain old 72mgz system? Is 2.4 really ready for the RC public?? Or is it the case of a few people setting it up wrong, or doing something else non related to the 2.4 system. I have seen photos of peoples installation of the RX and servos and there were wires all around the RX, some even laying over the top of the RX.
I have yet to see any photos of any set ups by the people haveing problems with them. I know when I crash a plane the first thing I do after making sure that I did not hit any buttons or switches on the trans is take a series of photos from every angle I can get of the plane while it is on the ground in the very spot it came to earth at. Photos of the radio compartment wiring etc befroe I move it. Then if I can't get into the interior of the plane (if it is not cracked open already) I try to remove anything I can as carfully as I can to get those shots. Now this may or may not change a damn thing but at least I can review them after I have stopped crying and blaming everything and everyone I can for the crash.

It is really hard for any factory tech to run tests on a smashed up RX or any other part for that matter to see what caused it, but photos may, just may let you see a missing screw, broken mount, or what ever to help you decide what may have happened.
My last wipe out of a plane was due to the pilot (me) hitting the dual rate switch at some point and making my plane much more than I could handel with my skills.
Anyhow shouls I send the 12G back???
Thoughts please.
Thanks[:o]

Tony V. 02-11-2008 06:57 PM

RE: Futaba 12FG 2.4

socalsal,

keep it , you will like it. I do. You can also get a module to use your 72s...

SPLIT S 02-11-2008 07:58 PM

Wow - make sure you treat her right!!!!

Ruff 02-11-2008 10:54 PM

I just bought one for all my helis, it is really a nice radio. The programing is vaunting, there is probably nothing you can't do with it. The learning curve is steep for this radio.

I have no issues at all running the 2.4 receivers underneath fiberglass canopies. I get a better range check, even with the reduced power range check, than I ever did with the old 72 stuff.

It will be real nice to go to Fun-flys and not have to worry about frequency pins anymore...

Ruff

SoCalSal 02-12-2008 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

Wow - make sure you treat her right!!!!
I do!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is why she does nice things for me:D
And thanks to all that have answered. I will most likely keep it. I can always use my Evo 9 which is just a dream to have had ever since the very first day I got it.
But like people say the Japanese radios are so much harder to learn the programing after useing the Evo's . Kind of like Mac vs Windows.they both do the same basic thing but the Mac is so much more user friendly.
Anyhow gents, thanks again for the support.

Steve

d_wheel 02-12-2008 05:57 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

But like people say the Japanese radios are so much harder to learn the programing after useing the Evo's . Kind of like Mac vs Windows.they both do the same basic thing but the Mac is so much more user friendly.

Steve
Actually, it just depends on which one you learned on. I tried helping a guy with an EVO once and was completely flabbergasted! We ran the battery down trying and never got it programmed. However, I can pick up a Futa-boo-boo and it seems like the programming flows naturally. Took a couple of hours to learn Spektrum-ese, but now it also seems easy.

Later;

D.W.

tadawson 02-12-2008 06:45 PM

Actually, it just depends on which one you learned on.
I am going to dispute that one a bit . . . I have had Futaba way back, and JR for the last 6 years or so (felt that I had gotten pretty good with it) and then recently bought an Evo-9 for a good price. Within two hours of picking up the Evo, I can do things on it that I couldn't do (or would have been very ugly) on the prior radio. Yeah, there is a learning "step" to the Evo, but it's not very large, and once you grasp it, you will look at yourself in the mirror and wonder how you tolerated the Asian radio crap for all that time . . . it's just that logical and easy!

- Tim

d_wheel 02-12-2008 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: tadawson

Actually, it just depends on which one you learned on.
I am going to dispute that one a bit . . . I have had Futaba way back, and JR for the last 6 years or so (felt that I had gotten pretty good with it) and then recently bought an Evo-9 for a good price. Within two hours of picking up the Evo, I can do things on it that I couldn't do (or would have been very ugly) on the prior radio. Yeah, there is a learning "step" to the Evo, but it's not very large, and once you grasp it, you will look at yourself in the mirror and wonder how you tolerated the Asian radio crap for all that time . . . it's just that logical and easy!

- Tim
I'm happy it worked for you. :) As I said, two of us tried for at least 3 hours to program a simple mix and never got close. Can do the same thing in just a few minutes with DX-7. All I can say is that I hope to never see another EVO.

Later;

D.W.

rhd-RCU 02-12-2008 07:46 PM

Hopefully the Evo will go away.

SoCalSal 02-12-2008 08:26 PM

Now guys, I did not mean for this thread to start a hate/love this system or that one. I really like my EVO and plan on keeping it around for a long time. But I did want to have another type of radio just to have one.
After all I have a Mac as well as a PC. The PC is good for a very few things I do like my flight sims but the Mac is my main 'puter due to the ease of use.
I suppose those of you who have a JR or whatever type have good things to say about them.

Anyhow I will keep the Futuba they are a good system.I'm just nervous about the 2.4 thingy..seems like there are a lot of growing pains going on and that is may main concern .