RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba Check Stations (Not) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/7084048-futaba-check-stations-not.html)

Strat2003 02-16-2008 08:34 AM

Futaba Check Stations (Not)

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't see it discussed anywhere else...

I have a Futaba 6EX 2.4 gHz system that falls into the category of those that might have escaped the factory without the individual ID code and wanted to have it checked. The Futaba service advisory site advised me that the nearest check station was Aerotech Hobbies in North Canton, Ohio, about two hours from here, so I was prepared to make the trip today.
I made a phone call yesterday, just to make sure that someone would be around to do the test and was informed (rather brusqely, I might add) that "No, we're not doing it, send it back to Futaba!"

Has anyone else had this experience?

phildflyer 02-16-2008 12:04 PM

RE: Futaba Check Stations (Not)

I live in NYC. I own two 6EX 2.4 ghz. that were suspect. One of the units was brand new still in the box. There are 4 check stations in all of New York State. Fortunately for me one of the check stations was Bruckner Hobbies in Westchester County. I called them, they told me to come in anytime. One hour later I was in the store having my transmitters checked. It took all of 13 seconds. Bruckner hobbies had a test receiver. All they did was turn on the system and check the results. Bruckner hobbies was very amiable and took care of my situation immediately. I do not use Bruckner Hobbies as my LHS, we have many in our area and Westerchester County is a trip for me to make. However, my LHS did not even know there was a service advisory and Futaba is not making a good enough effort to take care of this situation.

BobH 02-16-2008 12:49 PM

Sounds like you have a sucky hobby shop. And business owners wonder WHY??? we can't do more business..

garyloos 02-16-2008 03:49 PM

I live about 40 miles from Areo Tech and they checked my radio on Feb. 8th. All was ok.

Gary from Ohio

Strat2003 02-16-2008 04:20 PM

Gary, do you figure I just talked to somebody having a bad day there? I'd hate to drive the 2 hours for nothing...

Foamaholic 02-16-2008 04:43 PM

Gary, this is Paul. Did you make an appointment or call them, or did you just go there and they did it?

garyloos 02-17-2008 10:35 AM

I saw a a list that there only two places in Ohio doing the test for Futaba, one in Dayton and Areo Tech. I new of two members in our club that were going to have their radios check on the 8th of Feb. and I just drove to Areo Tech that afternoon and they checked my radio right away. I did not make an appointment I just showed up.

Gary

jpj46523 02-18-2008 09:54 AM

On Wednesday Feb. the 6th a friend of mine and I went to Aerotec Hobby shop to have our Futaba 2.4 gig radio's checked. I had called ahead in advance and verifyed what we wanted and that they could that. The person stated "bring them in we can check them". Our experience was a good one and recomend the shop to anyone. It took about a minute to check both radios.

phildflyer 02-18-2008 01:05 PM

The LHS's that are good sellers of Futaba products are the stores used by Futaba for the Check Stations. My LHS that knew nothing of the advisory would have taken care of the situation if they knew about it. The LHS sells all brands and it's Futaba's responsibity to get the word out. I have alway had a great relationship with my LHS, they just weren't up to date. I had a very good experience with Bruckner Hobbies. Bruckners Hobbies is just not in my area to be considered my LHS. However, I certainly keep them on my list of resources and have in the past bought items from them when the price was right and they had what I needed. We have the WRAM show this weekend in Westchester NY. Bruckner Hobbies is about 1/4 mile from the show. I suspect a lot of people will be bringing their radios in for an inspection. Hey it's great for the LHS. Look how many folks will be visiting the store.

Strat2003 02-18-2008 04:21 PM

Since I started this thread, I need to update it.
On a whim, I called Aerotech again this morning and asked if I could bring my radio in to be checked today. The (different) guy said, "Sure, bring it in!" so I drove the two hours to the shop. The guy checked it out, (it was OK) and was as nice as could be.

I guess I just got an employee having a bad day on my first call.

phildflyer 02-18-2008 05:06 PM

Glad to hear it. It certainly was easier than sending it back to Futaba. I do not think this problem is wide spread. Futaba must cover their bases. The problem is now that your radio checks out. You need to look over your shoulder to make sure the other guys transmitter is not faulty. Another day at the field!!

Strat2003 02-18-2008 06:04 PM

If I understand the problem correctly, since my radio is OK I should be safe at the field. There should be a problem only if two of the radios with the "base" code run into one another.
Of course, if I'm on the flight line when those two guys go up, I may need to use some dodging skills, lol.

bruce88123 02-18-2008 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

If I understand the problem correctly, since my radio is OK I should be safe at the field. There should be a problem only if two of the radios with the "base" code run into one another.
Of course, if I'm on the flight line when those two guys go up, I may need to use some dodging skills, lol.
Your radio is OK NOW. Just remember that if you EVER need to re-link a current RX it MAY mean your TX has converted to a ZGUID unit. Best bet is still to send your radio in whenever they have the new software available.

phildflyer 02-19-2008 12:17 PM

Actually just because your TRANSMITTER checks out does not mean your 100% ok. That's the problem. Your rig will work fine and not interfer with others. However, if someone shows up at your field with a TRANSMITTER that has not been coded correctly, your receiver may exeperience interference. The likelihood is slim since the system uses frequency hoping technology. With this said, you can still use the excuse that it was radio interference when you crack up.

phildflyer 02-19-2008 12:31 PM

I need to correct my previous comments. If an affected transmitter is operating among non affected transmitters nothing will happen. However, if two affected transmitters are operating at the same time among non affected transmitters then you may have a problem. It is possible but very unlikely.

Robotech 02-19-2008 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: phildflyer

I need to correct my previous comments. If an affected transmitter is operating among non affected transmitters nothing will happen. However, if two affected transmitters are operating at the same time among non affected transmitters then you may have a problem. It is possible but very unlikely.
No, you do not have a problem. The two with the affected transmitters do.

bruce88123 02-19-2008 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Robotech

ORIGINAL: phildflyer

No, you do not have a problem. The two with the affected transmitters do.
HE has a problem if one of the out of control planes attacks him.[:@]

Robotech 02-19-2008 10:31 PM

Well, of course. But then he should hit the deck. [X(]