RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Calling All Kiwis - Importing RC Txs to NZ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/7188179-calling-all-kiwis-importing-rc-txs-nz.html)

PlaneHeli 03-07-2008 12:37 AM

Calling All Kiwis - Importing RC Txs to NZ

Gidday,

Has anyone bought RC Txs from overseas online, and posted to NZ.

If So,

Are there any issues with import regulations
Are you normally charged import duty / GST etc. If so how much % for RC Txs.

Im looking at options for buying a Futaba 10C 2.4Ghz from Tower or someone in the USA and getting it posted / couriered to NZ.

How competitive are the prices for Txs, etc from overseas, compared to buying locally in NZ.

I am not living in NZ at this time, but heard some NZ RC modellers have bought from the USA online and had it shipped to NZ. So just considering my options.

Cheers.

XJet 03-07-2008 02:44 AM

RE: Calling All Kiwis - Importing RC Txs to NZ

NZ allows a tax-free importation of up to NZ$400 (including postage). If your purchase is under $400 then it will be delivered without hassles and without interference by NZ Customs.

However, goods valued at $400 and over will likely be caught by customs who will then hold it until you pay them the GST owed (12.5% of the total price including freight).

Some companies (primarily Chinese) do stupid things such as declare US$600 radios as "toys, $10" and sometimes that'll slide through but if Customs catch it (as they often do) then it will be held by them until you can supply an accurate invoice -- which can take weeks.

One thing to consider about direct-imports is the issue of warranty.

Postage charges from NZ to the rest of the world are pretty steep, especially if you want track&trace so that you can be sure it gets where it's going. That means if your brand new Futaba 10C has a problem, you'll be faced with weeks of down-time and significant extra expense while you first get the necessary paperwork from Customs to prove that when it comes back in it's not a new purchase and then the delays/costs of postage, repairs, and return postage.

Of course when you look at the outrageous prices some folks are charging for "official import" product in NZ, many people consider it worth their while to take the risk of importing directly.

I imported a JR9X II last year and it ended up costing me well under HALF the price it would have cost locally -- and it was much better spec'd as well.

PlaneHeli 03-07-2008 04:39 AM

XJet,

Great info thanks.

So No problem importing Txs into NZ and $400NZD is the magic number.

You say customs will hold it until you pay the GST. How do they advise you have a package awaiting GST payment. Where do you pay. Is it held at the local Post Office or at Customs in a major city.

The 10C is not shipping yet so have a while to find prices elsewhere.

I thought the NZ prices were over the top before, I was hopeing with all the online shops now the local stores would be more competitive.
I would much rather buy online from a NZ store. Will have to wait and compare prices.

Again, Thanks for the info.

Cheers

XJet 03-07-2008 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: PlaneHeli
You say customs will hold it until you pay the GST. How do they advise you have a package awaiting GST payment. Where do you pay. Is it held at the local Post Office or at Customs in a major city.
Customs will send you a letter (to the address on the package) and hold it at a bonded warehouse at the point of entry (probably Auckland). I'm pretty sure you can pay by credit-card, cheque or whatever at which time they'll release the package for delivery.

A.T. 03-07-2008 09:54 PM

NZ prices are generally higher because there are not enough buyers in NZ to obtain the bulk discounts available to USA distributor. There are additonal costs beside the GST which are paid by distributors and not by those direct importing.
Note: Use of Futaba Equipment Outside the U.S. - FAQ Warranty does not cross country boundaries. A 10C in particular proved to be very expensive to have serviced outside NZ. NZ distributor declined as not sold by them. Australian distributor (purchased in Australia) declined as unit had been taken out of Australia. Eventually after many delays, it was sent to Futaba Japan at considerable cost.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links[/

PlaneHeli 03-09-2008 07:37 PM

A.T.

Thanks.

Yes it could be an issue with warrenty.

I had a similar situation in Asia buying an imported mitsubishi. The local (and only) Mitsubishi dealer refused to do any any work on my car. As they are the manufacturers agent, I assume they have the support of Mitsusbishi not to support their product if it was not purchased from them.
Therefore I will try to avoid buying mitsubishi in the future. Shoudnt be a problem given the other manufacturers products.

Perhaps that should be taken into consideration when buying a Tx. Im currently living in Asia, so will end up in NZ or Aus. No matter where I buy I may end up with no service support. If Futaba wont support its product I should also look at other brands.

XJet. You imported a JR radio. Does the JR agent support you in NZ or will you have to send it overseas for service.

Cheers

XJet 03-09-2008 11:08 PM

I suspect the local agent wouldn't be interested in fixing my RC set if it broke down -- but I figure that even if I were so unlucky as to have it fail, I saved so much I could order another brand new one and still come out streets ahead.

But so far my JR has performed flawlessly so I'm happy.

Mark Burgess 05-17-2008 03:37 AM

I have a Futaba 10c 2.4 Ghz on my wish list at Tower Hobbies and look forward to their email to say they are ready to ship. I have been flying futaba for 30 years and have never had a TX pack up. Batteries gone funny yes and never had to send one off for repairs so I recon its worth the risk to import one. [:'(]I have been trying to get the Australian importer to give me an answer regarding the 10c and they have told me that it is on order and because they are wholesalers they can't tell me more and I must contact a retailer[:'(]. I have contacted a few and their replies have been absolutely ridiculous. [sm=lol.gif]If I carry on this topic I will end up being sued………………. So my radio is coming from the USA the sooner the better.:D Postage is not that bad I have just sent a box of Hitec servos to be repaired and it cost me $ 9AU to the USA and $ 28US to get back. (Go figure !!)

PlaneHeli 06-25-2008 09:52 AM

Mark Burgess,

Only just picked up on your post.

I see they are shipping now (Mode 2 Heli) which is what I am after.

I would be interested to hear what the total cost is in AUS $ when yours arrives and how much duty / tax you had to pay. I could get one sent to AUS.

I read on the forums a while back that some RC clubs in Aus did not allow Tx without a CE sticker to be used. Apparently they implemented this rule WITHOUT understanding the regualtions correctly. Have you heard of anything similar. Apparently the CE tick / sticker is an importer compliance requirement not that it doesnt meet the required standards.

Please advise cost, shipping type chosen, tax duty etc, when yours arrives. you could PM me if you prefer.

Cheers

sfsjkid 06-25-2008 10:19 AM

Actually the CE mark is for Europe and most products have it anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark

Please see the following for a hint of what is required for Australia

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/reference/comply.htm

PlaneHeli 06-25-2008 10:34 PM

sfsjkid,

Noted. I meant the C-Tick for Aus.

Theres a thread about it here.

http://www.archeli.com.au/cobra/showthread.php?t=116420 ......post #27

Im waiting to see what the price of the 10c will be in Aus. Otherwise will order from the USA.

Cheers

PlaneHeli 08-11-2008 09:26 AM

Can anyone recommend a shop in NZ to buy a Futaba 10CHP Mode 2 Tx.

Just would like to compare prices.

An internet search only pulls up online Trade Me bidding sellers.

Cheers

A.T. 08-11-2008 03:20 PM

10CHP FAAST 2.4GHz 6014FS NR4RB NT8S700B
10CHP PCM 40MHz R141D0P40 NR4J NT8S700B
Whilst Ace Hobby Ltd listing shows mode 1, (most common mode in NZ) they can be supplied in either mode.
Prices include 12.5% NZ GST (Goods & Services Tax), deduct 1/9 from total for exported items.
NZ "C" Tick is understood to be valid in both NZ & Australia.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

XJet 08-11-2008 06:54 PM

Give Brian or Adam a call at Airsail. Cheaper than Ace Hobby (sorry Alan) and more likely to do a good deal by negotiating the price a little (based on my own less than impressive experiences with Ace Hobby)

A.T. 08-11-2008 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: XJet <snip> (based on my own less than impressive experiences with Ace Hobby)
Bruce, you have made similar uncontested comment once to often. It was several years ago and you were simply denied special treatment from the national distributor's retail shop which could not discount those specific few products just for you without risking the loss of their retail shop customer base. Reason was explained and suggestion made that you approach other retail shops which could, if they wished, undercut on those items (not Futaba) without risk to their own overall business.
Alan.

XJet 08-11-2008 10:21 PM

All I asked was whether I could get a discount if I was paying cash for what was at the time $800 worth of servos. I was told "no" and invited to import them directly from the USA which I did (which meant I actually paid just $400 for the same products).

Since I was after the servos ASAP, I'd probably have purchased from Ace Hobby even if I'd been offered a sensible discount and I'd have felt I was getting *service* but absolutely *no* discount (not a cent) was offered when it was asked for. I've never encountered a situation where a cash-purchase of $800 or so didn't produce a willingness to negotiate a bit of a deal before.

When I spent about the same amount buying some RC gear from Airsail, they were happy to negotiate a quite reasonable discount.

So I'm just relating my own first-hand experiences. I much prefer to deal with companies that are interested in establishing a long-term relationship with customers and building loyalty than those who are simply out to squeeze every last cent out of a transaction.

People are (of course) free to make their own choices.

PlaneHeli 08-12-2008 02:07 AM

Thanks AT and XJet.

I can get the 10C cheaper in Asia but it would not have a C-Tick or FCC ID.

So would prefer to get from NZ, Aus or USA.

Thanks for pointing out the NZ C-Tick is cross border with Aus. Did a search on the net and they are OK for both countries.
That would be a bonus for me if I bought in NZ.

Ive emailed the two dealers you suggested. Awaiting a reply.

If I bought in NZ then exported it to Asia, (where im currently living), can I get the GST back at the airport when I depart (as with Singapore, Germany and other countries). I cannot recall GST refund offices at Auckland airport. They may be there but never noticed them before.

Cheers

A.T. 08-12-2008 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: PlaneHeli <snip> If I bought in NZ then exported it to Asia, (where im currently living), can I get the GST back at the airport when I depart (as with Singapore, Germany and other countries). I cannot recall GST refund offices at Auckland airport. They may be there but never noticed them before. Cheers
Not worth while as "exporter" can not carry items out of shop. The cost for retailer to set up secure delivery to customs dept at airport and the amount charged for one off items by the various departments at the airport to either allow pick up inside secure departure area or load onto aircraft and release to buyer on arrival at destination is more than the 12.5% you would save. Cheapest export method ex NZ is to arrange payment from o/seas account and have package airmailed or shipped direct overseas under which circumstance retailers such as Ace Hobby Ltd do deduct the GST as export is verified by the Post Shop or Customs Agent..
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

PlaneHeli 08-12-2008 04:48 AM

Noted AT.

Search on net said you cannot get gst refunded when exporting items from NZ. Yet other websites say you can claim back the gst (on exported items).

Countries such as Singapore and Germany allow tax refund at airport by showing items and reciept to customs on departure. Then they pay cash or credit card refund.

Australia, appears you can get GST off when purchased.