RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Help On Dean's Antenna (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/74618-help-deans-antenna.html)

windsurfer 03-11-2002 11:45 AM

Help On Dean's Antenna

I build small wwI electric planes. The receiver antenna is way too long for the fuselage and I have to let it hang beyond the fuse. Is "Dean's antenna" being a lot shorter an answer if it is embedded inside the fuselage?
I appreciate any experience in this area.
:confused:

bob_nj 03-11-2002 11:58 AM

HMMMmnnnn

I feel uninformed. Can you explain or show me Deans Antenna :confused:

dant-RCU 03-11-2002 12:43 PM

Deans Antenna

Windsurfer:

I have been using Deans Antenna for the last 6 years or so in applications from electric to 1/4 scale without any problems. I have used both the external "whip" and internal "singer" types. I mount the "stinger" type with a dab of silicone sealer as it remains flexible and allows the antenna to be easily removed if necessary. I also slip a length of fuel tubing over the antenna itself and anchor that with a dab of silicone sealer. You have to be careful so as not to allow the antenna to touch any metal or electrical items.

I cut my standard receiver antenna to 4 inches and attach the Deans.

A number of the local heli guys fly with Deans and have no problems either.

My experience - your mileage may vary.

DT

bkf 03-11-2002 01:04 PM

Help On Dean's Antenna

1 Attachment(s)
Bob this ia a Dean's antenna.

bob_nj 03-11-2002 01:41 PM

Thanks BKF

Is it primarily designed for heli, or does it function just as well in planks also? I understand dants reply, but am just wondering if that is the exception or the norm? Is this similar to the rubber ducky scenario for TX

bkf 03-11-2002 01:45 PM

Help On Dean's Antenna

Well im not sure about "Planks" but they work ok in "Planes" Sorry had to lol

And yes that blue thing is a loading coil that electrically adds to the length to tune in on (in this case) 72mhz. Bk

dant-RCU 03-11-2002 05:05 PM

Deans

To add to my earlier reply...

I was introduced to using the Deans antenna by a clubmember who was using then in his two 1/4 scale P38's. All this member build and flew were 1/4 scale and up WWII warbirds and he used Deans antennas in all of them.

Figured if it worked for him it would work for me - and it does.

I do not believe they were specifically designed for helis.

Dant

bkf 03-11-2002 05:20 PM

Help On Dean's Antenna

Lov2flyrc Has some views on deans. You may want to ask him also. He has made some good points where I will not use the dean in my jet. For $8 I won't take any chance. This is NOT a shot about Dean's.
Bkf

lov2flyrc 03-11-2002 11:24 PM

Help On Dean's Antenna

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm, Just found this thread and as BKF said I have a few warnings on deans antenna's.

I have seen multiple aircraft and two heli's go in from using deans antenna's (YES, this was confirmed to be the reason for radio loss). The problem with them is the coil tends to seperate inside the blue plasti-dip shield at the base. Vibrations tend to be the culprit, and they fail without warning!
I fly turbine's now for the most part and really wanted a whip antenna for my roo but was concearned about failure since I had seen so many planes re-kitted from the Deans failure. I checked with a few of the local heli pro's in the area to see what they have been using, every one of the now uses the Revolution whip antenna's. According to the guys I spoke to the revolution has worked flawless for them with hundreds of flights on an antenna without one failure between all of them. I figure if the heli guys are having good luck with them then I certainly will since I have no vibration in the turbine aircraft. I range tested the revolution, first pacing off my range with the standard receiver wire then installed the revolution antenna and paced it off again, I got an extra 28 ft of range with the whip. I now have 16 flights on my roo with the revolution and have not had any range problems.
I mention this because I have seen lots of $ turned into dust for a simple 8.00 antenna! If you must use a whip, stay away from deans!
Just my .02

here is a link to the antenna:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...010&pc=RVO1010

Scotty740 03-11-2002 11:44 PM

Help On Dean's Antenna

I use Revolution whip antennas on all my helis. I tried a Deans once and didn't get the range I get from the Revolutions. I also heard about them cracking so I stay away from them. I'm flying 5 helis now and have never had a problem with them. When I have $2,000 worth of machine in the air I want only the best.