RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Best way to Cycle Futaba 6EX Tx Batteries (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/7555485-best-way-cycle-futaba-6ex-tx-batteries.html)

reajon 05-29-2008 11:30 AM

Best way to Cycle Futaba 6EX Tx Batteries

Anybody have a good way to cycle the Transmitter batteries. I have a Futaba 6EX and was wondering the best way (or at least a good way)

Any comments appreciated.

Jon

dirtybird 05-29-2008 11:36 AM

RE: Best way to Cycle Futaba 6EX Tx Batteries

The cheapest way:
Turn it on and let it run down. Then recharge it.
If you watch it and monitor the voltage you will end up with a good indication of how it will perform and will know how long you can trust it to fly.

BarracudaHockey 05-29-2008 01:17 PM

You didnt say which version but if its the 72mhz version then you need to extend your antenna if you do that.

BuschBarber 05-29-2008 03:13 PM

If you don't extend your antenna, the RF section of your radio will heat up and could be damaged. I use a cycling charger like the Triton, for NiCad and NiMh. I like to take the batteries out of the Tx and cycle them separately.

Rodney 05-29-2008 03:20 PM

Just use the charger that came with the unit. Give it an overnight charge (14 to 16 hours) and use it. Mine gave me 3 hours and 21 minutes befor the low voltage alarm came on. You really do not have to cycle it unless you want to check it at some future time for capacity to make sure it is still good after an extended period of use of after being dormant for a few months.

BuschBarber 05-29-2008 03:28 PM

I cycle when I suspect that I am not getting the capacity I used to get. I also cycle if the batteries are sitting for a long time without use. Just because the voltage is at 10v, for example, before you start flying, does not guarantee that it won't drop to critical during the first use in a while. I like to know that the battery is discharging at a normal, acceptable rate. In the summer, when I am using it daily, I generally know how my batteries are performing. At least, some transmitters gives you a low voltage warning, but not all transmitters do that. A battery charger that cycles discharges at a given rate and you get a much more accurate idea of capacity.

reajon 05-29-2008 07:01 PM

I have one that is 2.4 system and one that is an older 72 T6EXA. The one I am wondering about is the 2.4. I used to leave my old transmitters on when I got home (not close to field obviously) to discharge. Just wondering the newest way or if people have found that this harms the radio. Also, any issues with loosing any of the programming?

Rodney 05-30-2008 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: reajon

I have one that is 2.4 system and one that is an older 72 T6EXA. The one I am wondering about is the 2.4. I used to leave my old transmitters on when I got home (not close to field obviously) to discharge. Just wondering the newest way or if people have found that this harms the radio. Also, any issues with loosing any of the programming?

As I mentioned in one of the above posts, I have the 2.4GHz version and get 3 and 1/3 hours of continuous use out of it after a full charge (overnight with the supplied wall wart charger). The T6EXA will alarm you when the battery drops to 8.5 volts but you should stop using it at about 8.8 volts to be safe as the voltage falls very rapidly after you get much below that value. On mine, the alarm goes off at 8.5 volts.

Flylow 05-31-2008 06:15 PM

I used short servo extensions. By soldering I made one with two male plugs and one female plug. Take the back case off the transmitter. Unplug the battery from the radio. Plug the battery into your new harness and the other end of the harness into the radio. This leaves one male connector still available. Put the case back on the radio and route the new harness so it is next to the battery. Now you can slide the battery cover off and plug whatever you want into the battery without unplugging anything. This bypasses the diode in the factory charge jack which is what I suspect you want to do. It works great for me.