RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba 9c (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/792905-futaba-9c.html)

wyflyer 05-22-2003 12:12 AM

Futaba 9c

I am thinking seriously about buying a 9c, but I have a few questions first.

1. In tower hobbies' catalog it says that you can delete functions and replace them with a custom mix. How does this work? How many things can you put in instead of the things you deleted.
2. Are the helicopter functions good for heli flying? I would like to get into that.
3. Can you assign any function to any switch?
4. I was wondering if you could change the frepuency module eg. from 72 to 75 megaherts legally? Also could you use the synthesizer module for the 9z? If so is it legal?
5. I have heard there was a version 1 and 2 of the 9c. Is this true? How can you tell them apart?
Thanks for your repplies,
Ryan

Shortman 05-22-2003 01:21 AM

Futaba 9c

Well.... I am not going to answer all your questions as many are in depth replys but I will say that I LOVE my Futaba 9CAP and I don't think theres a better radio around unless you got an additional $500-600 for the 10 or 9Z

1) You can delete functions or mixes, but I just rather leave them be... I don't even need 1/2 the stuff on here yet!

2) I am not a heli guy but, my friend has the 9CAP and flies helicopters, he just took the gimbal out and it works great

3) You can assign ANY function to ANY switch. The switches are labeled A-G (or some letter hehehe). You program the mix or function then at the bottom it has switch: A-G... just pick one that you feel comfortable and click

4) I dont know the legalities of this so I wont put any input here

5) I have not heard of this.... My 9CAP is less then 6 months old and my friends is roughly 1-2 years now... no notible difference in the software of looks

Flyfalcons 05-22-2003 01:28 AM

Futaba 9c

Hi Ryan,

1. I also read about deleting the built in mixes but I don't think you can do that. Instead, there are seven user mixes that already have functions assigned. You can change those to your needs. In addition to the user mixes, there are a number of built in mixes such as elev-flap, flap-elev, V-tail, elevons, etc.

2. From what I've heard, yes. I'll be getting a heli soon and will use the 9C for it.

3. Almost. Using the airbrake function requires you to use the C switch, but I believe everything else is assignable, including mixes, channels (except the basic four), timers, etc. For the mixes you can also select which position of the switch activates the mix, or you can leave the mix on full time.

4. You can switch bands, but there isn't a synth module available for this radio yet (hint, hint, Futaba, are you listening? ;) )

5. There are two versions. The new version has a very minor software bug fixed (something in the v-tail glider menu or something), and the new version does not have white marks on the three knobs. The older version has a white mark on each of the front knobs.

This is an excellent radio; I love mine!

flatfour 05-22-2003 01:39 AM

Futaba 9c

Perfectly legal to use a 75 Mhz Futaba TJ module.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-6xsuper-q54.html

Can't use the TK-FSS
http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c-q507.html

The software in the Air and heli models is identical. Only real difference is throttle ratchet and placement of 3 position switches.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/product-faq.html#q6

wyflyer 05-22-2003 09:52 AM

Thanks

Thank you very much for your answers. The 9c sounds like a great radio. I have a 6xas that my friend wants to buy so I plan to sell it to him and upgrade. Thanks again,
Ryan

WreckRman2 05-22-2003 10:24 AM

Futaba 9c

Get the 9C, you'll love it!

Luke 3D 05-22-2003 10:55 AM

Futaba 9c

Ive got a FF9 and i love it too. I think that it is a great radio and allows you to do almost anything with its plethora of switches BUT it is geared at THUMB flyers. If your fly with finger and thumb the switches are uncomfortable and slow to get to.
The only reason i chose it over the Multiplex Royal evo was because my FF6 had packed up and i didn't have a radio to use- the Royal Evo had not come out then so i had to get a radio and the only choice was the FF9.
If i could turn back time i would have waited and got the Multiplex Royal Evo, because it pumps out more range, has more features, is more anthropometric and ergonomic, much more comfortable, and you can adjust the postion of the sticks so its just as easy to push the stick either way. It is also designed for finger and thumb flyers, and has a channel safety feature(i think).
If i were you , i would go for the Evo,but i would ask some people who actually own one before putting your money on the counter.
The FF9 is a sound investment though, especially if you are a Thumb flyer.
Luke

FLYBOY 05-22-2003 01:18 PM

Futaba 9c

I like the 9C better than any radio I have seen yet. I use the 9CHP and it rocks. It is great in both planes and helis. You will love it.

jgiles-RCU 05-22-2003 05:29 PM

Futaba 9c

The full 9C manual is available on the Futaba website. It should answer any specific programming functions and includes updates and corrections to the manual as well.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/index.html

wyflyer 05-22-2003 07:22 PM

Futaba 9c

Luke D3,
I fly with thumbs, so That isn't a problem for me. I held the Royal EVO at the Weak Signals show in Toledo, Ohio, and I didn't like the feel as much as the 9c. I really like the funtions of the evo though. The second reason is that the evo is about 200 dollars more. Other than that, I would like to have the Royal EVO.

cloudancer03 05-23-2003 01:02 AM

futaba 9cap

I had your dilemna too.had been due to illness away from hobby 9 years and am back(yippee) and bought a futaba 6da largely because I was intiminated with computer radios..and thats crazy as I am on my fourth pc lol.. anyway, I was all set to buy the 6x and finally realized at the pace I am at I will outgrow that in a couple of years so I looked at the 9cap..what a fabulous and remarkably easy radio to use..I was feeling sort stupid having all those goodies and likely not using many(yet!) but if your comf with a windos environment and scrolling menus etcx..GET THE 9CAP... its great.. and thats not a knock on jr or hitec but futaba in that area does have a fantastic system..

no I dont work for futaba lol..back in my heydays and flying abortion scale I had kraft signatures and a competition proline with open gimbals ..I wish that stuff like this was readily invented back then..and dont even ask what we paid for the top of the line..

wyflyer 05-25-2003 12:11 AM

Futaba 9c

I have a few more questions.
1. Can you assign more than one function to a switch?
2. Can you assign functions to switch c (I think) along with airbrake?
3. How much bigger dimensionally is it than the 6xas?

Flyfalcons 05-25-2003 12:37 AM

Futaba 9c

1.yes
2.yes
3. A little bigger and heavier, the main diff is it is a little deeper.

Did I mention, great radio! :D

wyflyer 05-25-2003 11:08 AM

Futaba 9c

Thank you guys for answering my questions.
I am building a box to carry my transmitters to the field. Would you please tell me how big the 9c is in inches? I need to make sure it will fit. Thanks again :cool:
Ryan