RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Narrow Band Documentation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/806986-narrow-band-documentation.html)

miltonmorris 05-27-2003 02:13 AM

Narrow Band Documentation

I have multiple newer radios but also an FG six channel. Futaba's site clearly states it was manufactured narrow band. When using a new narrow band dual conversion receiver (FMA), with this FG, I still get grumbles and grunts at the field. I could use one of my other Tx's but why should I? The FG has not been stickerd but I know of no "calibration" protocol by the FCC or AMA. Why do I have to "proove" this radio and others do not? Noone complains about my Flash 5 or 9C but they also carry no "sticker", only the manufacturer's claims. Whats up with that?

Miltonmorris

MO_Radio_Tech 05-27-2003 04:08 AM

The gold sticker program is over, so ignore the grumblers. They are behind the times.

cwesh 05-27-2003 01:14 PM

I would print out the relevant paragraph about how all FM radios made by Futaba are narrow band, and when you get grumbles, stuff the page in their face! :)

If it is AM, send it off to Radio South for updating to gold standards, they will sticker it. Of course you can send in your FM set for gold stickering too! BTDT! (Both my AM's and FM's, no gumblings at my field!)

Later!

modeltronics 05-27-2003 03:44 PM

Hi
Radios can no longer be modified to be Gold stickerd. If the radio you have is AM there is a good chance that it could be wide. If anyone is doing the narrow band mods and gold stickering it is not legal ( I could be doing 30 of these a week if it was legal). And the FG is an easy one to bring up to date. Too bad the update time is over.

Gold sticker station 131

Pete

amcross 05-27-2003 04:12 PM

Milton,
Only radios from the questionable generation got gold stickers...hence them not caring about the newer radios being stickered or not.

What you should do is print out the appropriate documentation from the manufacturer and take it to the club with you to show them that your radio is narrow band and legal for use in the US.

sticks-RCU 06-03-2003 04:51 PM

NARROW BAND

I pulled one of my old radio's off the shelf the other day to put in a trainer for my little boy. It is an older Cirrus radio, the transmitter has been gold stickered, do I have to worry about receiver?

strato911 06-04-2003 01:07 AM

Although it is legal to use wideband receivers, it is not recommended. They are more susceptible to noise from neighboring frequencies, since they are looking at a wider band of the spectrum. If no-one is using the 2 channels on either side, I would do a range check, and if it passes, go flying.

JohnBuckner 06-04-2003 01:22 AM

Sticks, One of the commonly Cirrus Rx.s packaged with the basic four and six channel sets is a 7 channel FM CH 217 then it is Wide band and dangerous. If the Rx is of any other brand labled dual conversion then you are probably all right. A properly performed 'narrow Banding i.e. gold label' included Rx replacement.

John