RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   DX7 Fail safe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/8228636-dx7-fail-safe.html)

AJsToyz 12-13-2008 11:04 AM

RE: DX7 Fail safe

JR,

How fast are the lights supposed to flash ? The light on my rx's are flashing pretty quick but will not bind in preset mode.

Andy

rmh 12-13-2008 11:06 AM

FWIW the preset sticks to extreme servo position type "fail/safe is really a bad news setup
UNLESS you need a spin down/spiral down setting for some reason.
Back when the PCM's first came out , this approach was gone over ad nauseum.

AJsToyz 12-13-2008 11:18 AM

Dick,

I think they were just setting them at extrems to see if it worked.

Andy

onewasp 12-13-2008 12:44 PM

Been at this (RC) a l-o-n-g time.

I have NEVER seen a failsafe save an airplane.
Short of low throttle I consider all 'failsafes' as basically useless.

I have seen them cause inconvenient crashes.
I have seen them give a warning such as a trip to low throttle.
But save an airplane through 'pre-sets' NEVER !!

pilotpete2 12-13-2008 01:14 PM

I agree, and have always felt the same, but there is one exception where a programmable fail safe (other than throttle) would be desirable to me, and that is with my thermal glider. If I could program it to go into a gentle spiral (up elevator and some left rudder) then there would less risk of a total flyaway in the case of loss of RF link.
I plan on switching my 2M sailplane to an AR500 for next season, would be nice to have that ability.
Pete

rmh 12-13-2008 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

I agree, and have always felt the same, but there is one exception where a programmable fail safe (other than throttle) would be desirable to me, and that is with my thermal glider. If I could program it to go into a gentle spiral (up elevator and some left rudder) then there would less risk of a total flyaway in the case of loss of RF link.
I plan on switching my 2M sailplane to an AR500 for next season, would be nice to have that ability.
Pete
I just use a long piece of kite string

onewasp 12-13-2008 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson
I just use a long piece of kite string
[/quote]

These 'High-Tech' approaches are taking RC out of the hands of the ordinary modeler.

rmh 12-13-2008 03:11 PM

Thenk kwew , thenk kew
vera mush

AJsToyz 12-13-2008 03:33 PM

Did Elvis or Nixon just leave the building ?? [X(]

jerdavis 12-14-2008 11:42 AM

AJsToyz:

Even though you just bought the receivers it could be that they are old stock. All of the receivers I bought with the Great 2.4 Giveaway had to be updated.
During the Preset operation, the lights flash at the same rate as during the "normal" binding operation.

FWIW; I used to set up fail safe to cause a snap roll to prevent a flyaway and hitting a lawyers wife. The one time I had a frequency conflict which sent the plane into failsafe, I could have flown the plane back for a landing had I not had to spend time regaining control between the snap rolls. I now use failsafe only on the throttle and/or ignition control to kill the engine.

JD