RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/8515737-new-hitec-aurora-9-channel-2-4ghz-radio-system.html)

Kaos 05-09-2011 02:17 PM

RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

I received my new Aurora 9 with 9 channel receiver three weeks ago and later some extra Optima receivers. I'm in the process of outfitting 3 of my aircraft with receivers and have some questions regarding receiver batteries (4.8v vs 6.0v).

1. X-cell .61 Custom helicopter. It has the 9-channel receiver, 4 high-torque Futaba servos, 1 fast tail servo, a Futaba GV-1 governor and a JR 550t gyro. Currently, I have an almost-new 4.8v 2000 mAh NiMH battery installed. Would a 6.0v 2000 mAh NiMH be a better choice? I'm a sport flyer and only do mild maneuvers - no wild 3D stuff.

2. Killer Chaos .75 pattern airplane. It has the 6-channel receiver and 6 standard Airtronics 94102 servos and a fairly new 4.8v 700 mAh nicad receiver pack. Again, smooth aerobatic maneuvers only.

3. U-Can-Do .70 4-stroke. It has the 7-channel receiver, 6 standard Airtronics 94102 servos and a new 4.8v 1600 mAh NiMH battery pack. No wild flying here, either.

Since I'm new to the 2.4 GHz crowd, I don't have any experience regarding best battery choices for 2.4 receivers. I've read that the 2.4 receivers are less tolerant to low voltage (3.5v and below?), so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One other thing: I absolutely love the Aurora 9 2.4 GHz! Setting up each model was a breeze - even the more complex helicopter.

-Kaos

Ken Cz 05-09-2011 03:22 PM

Hi,
Can someone please explain or direct me to link/post on how to set up a mix or funtion for a throttle kill switch on my Glow powered planes?

Esentially, I am looking for easy way to run the throttle trim all the way down to kill the engine without actually doing it with the trim switch - because then you have to remember to run it back up and where it was set for a good idle.

I found a reference to a Throttle Cut funtion in the FAQ from A.T. but I was not sure if it was directed toward Heli functiions.

I did a couple of searches and did not find a clear answer so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat.

Thanks You - Ken

42etus 05-09-2011 05:42 PM

Kaos:
Battery choice is more of a function of the plane, servos and flying style than of the receiver. Personally, I only use 6.0v, 2000 mah packs in all my planes, but that's just me.

Ken Cz:
The THROTTLE KILL function is what you want. I don't have my A9 in front of me now, but it's pretty easy to set up. IIRC, activate the function, assign a switch and dial in enough percentage to close the throttle. I like to use the spring loaded trainer switch, that way I can't accidentally leave it on.

Ken Cz 05-09-2011 07:17 PM

42etus
Thanks much! I'll give it a go!

g_mkoch 05-10-2011 09:39 AM

I got a question
I accidentally left my radio underneath the engine and it dripped oil over the left hand switches, Do you think it will cause any problems?

Happy Landings

fredz69 05-11-2011 03:12 AM

Hi All

Buddy Box/Trainer questions

1. Will a Focus6 work as a slave to an Aurora9?
2. I have a Hitec sim cable for the Focus (6 pin Din to 3.5mm socket), will it work as the slave cable or is the trainer slave cable pinout different to the sim cable pinout?

Thanks for any help ............ appreciate

Fred

A.T. 05-11-2011 03:35 AM

ORIGINAL: fredz69 <span style="font-size: smaller">Hi All Buddy Box/Trainer questions
1. Will a Focus6 work as a slave to an Aurora9?
2. I have a Hitec sim cable for the Focus (6 pin Din to 3.5mm socket), will it work as the slave cable
or is the trainer slave cable pinout different to the sim cable pinout? Thanks for any help ............ appreciate Fred</span>
1. Yes - but care any mixes as the Focus must be set up and trimmed to mimic control output of the Aurora.
2. Hitec 6 pin DINadapter for the HitecSIC cable should double as the Student end onlyof an Aurora trainer cable,
full details:

Aurora 9 - Trainer / Buddy system Master &amp; Slave function Set-up. &amp; Data Transfer A9&lt;&gt;A9.

<span style="font-size: smaller">ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules &amp; Optima Transceivers - FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}
</span>
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links

Zor 05-11-2011 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: g_mkoch

I got a question
I accidentally left my radio underneath the engine and it dripped oil over the left hand switches, Do you think it will cause any problems?

Happy Landings
Oil is an electrical insulator if it is not badly contaminated by carbon.

If the oil has penetrated inside the switches it coul prevent low resistance contacts.

It would not be worth gambling loosing a $2,000.00 model for a switch failure.

Take the switches apart and clean them with varsol or methyl hydrate (99.9% pure), wipe and let dry and re-assemble them. Do not use lacquer thinner or other solvents that may attack plastic parts.

Then you know you have clean and dry switches.

It is not a difficult job. I have often taken switches apart just to see how they are made inside.
I have posted some pictures in the past of the inside of some small toggle switches.

Good luck.

Zor

Edited to change "swithc" to "switch"

fredz69 05-11-2011 05:14 AM

Hi AT

Once again you are a wealth of info on this forum

Thank you very much for the info ................ appreciate

Fred

Howard 05-11-2011 06:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: g_mkoch

I got a question

Happy Landings
Oil is an electrical insulator if it is not badly contaminated by carbon.

If the oil has penetrated inside the switches it coul prevent low resistance contacts.

It would not be worth gambling loosing a $2,000.00 model for a switch failure.

Take the switches apart and clean them with varsol or methyl hydrate (99.9% pure), wipe and let dry and re-assemble them. Do not use lacquer thinner or other solvents that may attack plastic parts.

Then you know you have clean and dry switches.

It is not a difficult job. I have often taken switches apart just to see how they are made inside.
I have posted some pictures in the past of the inside of some small toggle switches.

Good luck.

Zor

Very helpful information, where can you obtain varsol or methyl hydrate and are they the same as contact cleaner available in spray cans? :)

Howard
Edited to change ''swithc'' to ''switch''

Wayne Miller 05-11-2011 10:12 AM

Note: Fred has put together a great spreadsheet and does a much better job - here is the link:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_85...tm.htm#9878468

========================================

Hi,

After doing a little programming of the Aurora 9, I found it a little difficult to keep track of what I have done.

In order to keep track of the programming mixes of switches and sticks I put together a simple form that allows you to enter in the model name, switch function and the mixes.

You can print out a form for each of your models, fill it out while programming and store for later reference.

Here is a link to the form: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10513920

Hope you find this useful.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Zor 05-11-2011 12:29 PM

Varsol is a paint thinner that can be used toclean oily or waxed surface and to clean paint brushes. It is available at Home Depot, Lowes, Canadian Tire and most hardware stores.

Methyl hydrate is also known as "wood alcohol" and is also available as above.

Contact cleaner should not be used because some formulations include abrasive to wear out any oxydation of the contact due to arcing. .

Zor

Michel 05-11-2011 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Wayne Miller

Hi,

After doing a little programming of the Aurora 9, I found it a little difficult to keep track of what I have done.

In order to keep track of the programming mixes of switches and sticks I put together a simple form tha allows you to enter in the model name, switch function and the mixes.

You can print out a form for each of your models, fill it out while programming and store for later reference.

Here is a link to the form: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10513920

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Hi
Thanks Wayne ,.................................... Got it .;)

fredz69 05-12-2011 01:43 AM

Hi,

In order to keep track of the programming mixes of switches and sticks I put together a simple form that allows you to enter in the model name, switch function and the mixes.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Hi Wayne

I also made one up that covers every thing within the Aurora 9 and is a spreadsheet that will also plot throttle curves etc for you

Is posted within the Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima : FAQ, Undocumented Features & Mixes, Setups,Tips.

or here - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_85...tm.htm#9878468

Hope it helps you

Fred

Wayne Miller 05-12-2011 05:24 AM

Hi Fred,

Those are great spreadsheets and does a much better job - thanks for the link. i wish I had found it before.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

fredz69 05-13-2011 02:11 AM

Hi Fred,

Those are great spreadsheets and does a much better job - thanks for the link. i wish I had found it before.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Hi Wayne

Glad you like them and I hope they help you out :)

Fred

Michel 05-13-2011 02:52 AM

Hi

Guys ,......... I think both are excellent ,........ both can serve a purpose .

Michel

boothg-3 05-18-2011 07:58 PM

little off subject but i got to meet Mike Mayberry at the Joe Nall last week
he was quick to answer some questions i had , thanks Mike

Ken Cz 05-19-2011 04:34 PM

Hi!
Question: I was setting up a plane last night on my A9 and decided to add a 'Aileron to Rudder' mix. I set it at 30% for a start point. However, when I apply right Aileron I get left Rudder or just the opposite when I apply left Aileron - I get right rudder.
I cannot seem to find anyway to reverse the rudder movement within the mix. I tried the + setting on the 30% rudder and the - setting but the rudder only moves in the opposite direction of the Aileron.

Any ideas on what I may have done in error or am missing in the setup??

Thanks,
Ken

Chancho 05-29-2011 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<div>Q:Whenis theHTS-Navi AFHSS units coming in? Everything reads late May&hellip;.</div><div></div><div>Anyone using the telemetry HTS Packs toward a practical success? I'm a little late to the game with it, but have been playing around with the complete HTS pack on the bench this weekend while trying to catch up on thread info for this stuff.

I have to domore testing at our club field to really get the hang of it, butpreliminary tests at h ome seem to be working fine. Between the built in 2D display of the MPP-22 Telemetry softwareand Google Earth-it accurately recorded my movements of the unit goingup and down the streetwith the module in hand.The altitude seemed off and a reset got it closer, but maybe it&rsquo;ll settle down at the field with a more open area?</div><div></div><div>There is a good bit of messing about to understanding the software and what you have to do to record the flight data. Example: I took me a while to figure out I had to be recording in order to get Google Earth to display the coordinates.</div><div></div><div>Also people considering the telemetry should look into getting the HTS-Navi AFHSS along with their HTS Pack.That is if you want to record your flight data and not tether your radio to a laptop.I seriously doubt that anyone will want to carry a laptop to the flight line attached to their radio..<span> I really think this device should have come with the Telemetry kit, IMHO.For an additional $60 it&rsquo;s a no-brainer. So I have to find one in stock somewhere and get it on order.(FYI:The HTS-Navi AFHSS is a USB receiver that can bind to your receiver and receive the telemetry data and record it onto your PC the same way the HPP-22 unit does when connected to your 2.4Ghz module in your radio.)</span></div><div></div><div>Bottom line is to get the most of the telemetry you will be taking a laptop to the field with you and recording the flights whether tethered to the radio or over the HTS-Navi. It&rsquo;d be nice if Hitec came out with a memory module to record flight data onto a USB to take home later&hellip;</div><div></div><div>Maybe for the future plane builds I&rsquo;ll dumb it down to the HTS basic #55845 pack at $70 for the RPM and a couple temp probes vs. the $225 for the full kit. With GPS and Fuel, also.If I then wanted to use GPS I would swap it out to avoid the $120 optional weight/cost. <span>And $70 is still high for a remote tachometer.Maybe the price will come down for this stuff, because there looks to be a lot of competition coming on the market.The components to Hitec&rsquo;s Telemetry system are already being reverse engineered/decoded/and being prepped for aftermarket &ndash; it&rsquo;s only a few microcontrollers and bits &ndash; a few dollars by themselves.That&rsquo;s fine for Hitec to cash in on their efforts, but hopefully they&rsquo;ll adjust the prices to keep us dedicated to their product vs. having to go aftermarket in the long term. Telemetry &ndash; an expensive gadget with caveats.But to someone like me who collects gadgets, it&rsquo;s GOLD.</span></div>

AndyAndrews 05-30-2011 07:49 PM

I usually reside in the Jet Forums. Question, what is the concensis here on the Aurora 9? I have one now and will be testing it. How do you guys like it?

AndyAndrews 06-01-2011 05:05 AM

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

I usually reside in the Jet Forums. Question, what is the concensis here on the Aurora 9? I have one now and will be testing it. How do you guys like it?

humm, no takers?

BuschBarber 06-01-2011 05:17 AM

This thread has been ongoing for over a year. Ever since the A9 was announced. There is a similar thread on another site. Every aspect of the radio has been discussed many times over. I think that you are not getting a response because there are many pages you can read to get up to speed on how this radio is perceived.

I believe this radio has a great number of features for the money. You can fly 2.4Ghz Hitec receivers or use a 72Mhz RF Module and fly 72Mhz Hitec and Futaba receivers. There is Telemetry modules you can purchase.

The Service and Support I have gotten from Hitec has been great, for years.

This radio compares very well with the Spektrum DX8 and the Futaba 8FG.

Wayne Miller 06-01-2011 06:01 AM

Hi,

I have posted the step by step instructions for Elevon and Throttle Cut programming. I'll list the link to the posts as well as other threads you might find useful. See below.

If you want a list of all my posts, such as instructions for Turnigy Cameras, GMS engine tuning, Turnigy Watt Meter - just do a search for "Fly4Fun" under search (the old search option) and all my posts will pop up.

I hope you find the information useful.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Programming Chart
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10481073

Index for Aurora 9 Manual
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10467839

Step by step Throttle Cut Programming
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10546384

Step by step Elevon Programming
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10531528

Form to record switches and mixes
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10513920

Easy locating Switches on Tx
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10491357

RC Definitions and acronym list
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_15...tm.htm#1527996

AndyAndrews 06-01-2011 06:07 AM

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

This thread has been ongoing for over a year. Ever since the A9 was announced. There is a similar thread on another site. Every aspect of the radio has been discussed many times over. I think that you are not getting a response because there are many pages you can read to get up to speed on how this radio is perceived.

I believe this radio has a great number of features for the money. You can fly 2.4Ghz Hitec receivers or use a 72Mhz RF Module and fly 72Mhz Hitec and Futaba receivers. There is Telemetry modules you can purchase.

The Service and Support I have gotten from Hitec has been great, for years.

This radio compares very well with the Spektrum DX8 and the Futaba 8FG.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have time to go through 144 pages. I know what the radio does. I was looking for opinions as to its reliability in the field and weather or not after "discussing it for over a year" as you say, the people who talked about it here still recommend it.

This is a very simple request.