RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/8515737-new-hitec-aurora-9-channel-2-4ghz-radio-system.html)

Bob Pastorello 07-15-2012 03:41 AM

RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

+1
No mini/micro rx's...but also no analog servos.

Michel 07-15-2012 05:07 PM

Hi

I did an experiment to-day . The Stryker comes with a switch , that turns , " ON " the receiver , after , you plug in the battery . I changed the procedure , and left the switch in the , " ON " position, all the time . And to my amazement , the system bound faster with less servo movement ,........... go figure :)

Michel

JIMF14D 07-16-2012 02:59 AM

I will have to give that a switch thing a try with my HABU. I always leave the switch on and get little servo movement.
Jm D

Michel 07-16-2012 12:59 PM

Hi

Thats exactly what I,m doing now Jim

Michel

wkevinm 07-24-2012 07:34 PM

I use channel 7 in a number of airplane models to actuate an airplane release mechanism (common for all planes). A couple weeks ago I was out and found that the mechanism was reversed, such that when I use switch (H), which is spring loaded to actuate the mechanism it was reversed from before and released as soon as I powered it up, as oppsed to when I activated the switch. I since have checked out 4 other models programs and the same thing. I have had to go into the transmitter and change all settings from reverse to normal.

Something changed, and I am not real sure what it was, the only thing that makes sense is that tjhis may coincide with the update of a number of recievers, TX and module to the latest firmware from the earliest firmware?

When I set switch H to the relaxed position and then move to the on position (against the spring) the servo moves in a clockwise rotation, looking down on the servo. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

I am not aware of any other changes to any other channels I am using (basic 4 channels), but have not checked beyond that.

In my mind I need to know what happened since this mechanism releases the airplane from the ground at a full throttle setting, and although I have a failsafe buit in not knowing this could have caused some trouble.

Thanks in advance for any insight to the issue.

JIMF14D 07-25-2012 02:54 AM

Do you have a failsafe set so that the switch goes to release with TX off and RX on? Do you always turn the
TX on first?

If it is changed, reprogram it the the way you want it and see if it works correctly. There have not been any recent changes that Iknow of.

Jim D

wkevinm 07-25-2012 05:53 AM

The mechanism I speak of can be found by following this link, this may describe it better than my earlier description. I would not suggest this system to everyone, you have to be aware of the reason for certain steps and understand the consequences, my use sequence prevented a bad situation with the change in channel direction. This mechanism has worked very well for some time now.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...tm.htm#9840395

My main point was my surprise that a channel operation had changed or reversed. When I powered up the mechanisms receiver from behind the plane it released the plane, and I had to quickly take off from that position.

As mentioned before there were no changes to the main 4 channels, and this one caught me by surprise, I had not ground checked it as I do with the main channels. I have gone and reprogrammed the TX and all is well once again. This is a heads up to me that after any firmware update either by myself or factory the settings may change, and need to be confirmed.

wkevinm

Whistling Death 07-25-2012 06:58 AM

So is Hitec ever going to break the 9 channel threshold?

A.T. 07-25-2012 12:31 PM

<span style="font-size: smaller">

ORIGINAL: wkevinm
I use channel 7 in a number of airplane models to actuate an airplane release mechanism (common for all planes). A couple weeks ago
I was out and found that the mechanism was reversed, such that when I use switch (H), which is spring loaded to actuate the mechanism
it was reversed from before and released as soon as I powered it up, as oppsed to when I activated the switch. I since have checked out
4 other models programs and the same thing. I have had to go into the transmitter and change all settings from reverse to normal.
Something changed, and I am not real sure what it was, the only thing that makes sense is that tjhis may coincide with the update
of a number of recievers, TX and module to the latest firmware from the earliest firmware
When I set switch H to the relaxed position and then move to the on position (against the spring) the servo moves in a clockwise
rotation, looking down on the servo. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I am not aware of any other changes to any other channels
I am using (basic 4 channels), but have not checked beyond that.
In my mind I need to know what happened since this mechanism releases the airplane from the ground at a full throttle setting, and
although I have a failsafe buit in not knowing this could have caused some trouble
Thanks in advance for any insight to the issue.
</span>
There are repeated instructions within the manual and elsewhere that following any firmware change
to verify all mixes and switches before next usuage, especiallyduring each range check.
A9 manual was written at the time of V1.03. Because firmware may have changed since the time
their new equipment was manufactured shipped and sold, it is a pity retailers do not think to advise
new owners of all Hitec 2.4GHz systems to peruse:
Hitec RCD USA - Support page and read at least the page headed:
2.4GHz Firmware &amp; Software Updates
together with the RC Universe Support Forum Sticky, updated on an almost daily basis being
built up from the worldwide knowledge base, and also highlights all known new manual pages,
changes and alerts:
<span style="font-size: x-small">Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
&amp; Telemetry
- FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features
</span><font size="1">- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated} e.g.

. Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install &amp; Use <font size="1">(with screenshots)</font>.
"2. Check all Model Functions. Aurora 9 programming is so flexible that no firmware designer could ever envisage
and take into account all the possible user settings and ensure that absolutely none will be effected during an upgrade
and still get the updates out in a timely cost effective manner. (especially free upgrades..)
Monitor screen assists check of each model.
Another reason recheck all functions each model is essential after an upgrade"

. AFHSS - ID_Setup <font size="1">(also known as Binding or Linking)</font> &amp; Range Test Procedure </font>

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links

JIMF14D 07-25-2012 12:47 PM

What am Imissing?

You have a safety system or safety system start up approach where you start the plane in the "launcher" and things are live and then you turn on the radio control system to operate it? And you find out the system is not working correctly or is unsafe by watching the plane leave the the launcher to your great suprise?

Sounds backwards to me!

Jim D

wkevinm 07-25-2012 12:51 PM

and how would you do it?

rs402931 07-25-2012 01:07 PM

I guess I would check the operation of that "unit" before i even do the preflight check on my plane. things can and do go WRONG !

Bob S

JIMF14D 07-25-2012 01:20 PM

Speaking in general terms and not relative to your specific design which I know nothing about I would handle it like any glow plane which I was going to prep to fly. I check the plane voltage and all controls from the TX, then I start the plane and recheck the controls while it is on the safety bench. Then I pick it up and fly it.

I would not start the engine or put the plane on the launcher until: I would fire up the tx and rx and then put the launcher in the loaded position with no plane on it. I would then release the launcher with the TX. If every thing looked ok then I would leave the TX and RX on, reset the launcher to the armed postion. Start the plane,  set it on the launcher and confirm that the launcher was holding it before I let go of it. Then I check my plane controls again, check the flying area for clear space,, yell "taking off" and release the launcher using the TX switch.

Good luck
Jim D

wkevinm 07-25-2012 01:57 PM

thanks

udet1918 07-25-2012 06:46 PM

Okay guys here's a poser. I installed a 7 channel receiver in my Nieuport 17, went to do a range test on low power got to about 30' and nothing. The manual says 30 meters or 100'. Now I removed a hatch and dangled the antenna out of the model and tried again. This time whenever the antenna was in sight the range test was fine but when walking around the model whenever the antenna was hidden by the model I couldn't go past 30'. The model itself is traditional construction, Ply, Balsa etc. and covered with silver solartex. When the receiver and antenna are in postion and the hatch closed the receiver is surrounded by silver solartex. All components have been upgraded to latest version all batteries fully charged. Thoughts???

Ron

A.T. 07-25-2012 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: udet1918 Okay guys here's a poser. I installed a 7 channel receiver in my Nieuport 17, went to do a range test on low power got to about 30' and nothing. The manual says 30 meters or 100'. Now I removed a hatch and dangled the antenna out of the model and tried again. This time whenever the antenna was in sight the range test was fine but when walking around the model whenever the antenna was hidden by the model I couldn't go past 30'. The model itself is traditional construction, Ply, Balsa etc. and covered with silver solartex. When the receiver and antenna are in postion and the hatch closed the receiver is surrounded by silver solartex. All components have been upgraded to latest version all batteries fully charged. Thoughts???Ron
Silver Solartex conatins massedmetal particles and is an effective shield withboth 35&lt;72MHz.and
with 2.4GHz. Theantenna tip must exit the fuselage, refer the guidance under "Helicopter notes" and
"Sailplanes &amp; Carbon Fibre Fuselages"
below
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Installation RX &amp; BODA Antenna FAQ,

Alan T.

udet1918 07-26-2012 12:49 AM

Thanks AT. Problem is the model has flown on 72 mhz for it's entire life, well over 10 years, with no radio problems and this includes having the whole of the antenna enclosed in the model. As I stated above the 7 channel receiver was tested with the antenna dangling from the model and whenever it was shielded by the airframe walking around radio contact was lost. So even if the antenna is exposed as you suggested there will come a time during flight that it will become shielded by the airframe resulting in signal loss. Are we saying here that a model cannot be painted silver if we are to use the Aurora 2.4 radio?

A.T. 07-26-2012 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: udet1918 Thanks AT. Problem is the model has flown on 72 mhz for it's entire life, well over 10 years, with no radio problems and this includes having the whole of the antenna enclosed in the model. As I stated above the 7 channel receiver was tested with the antenna dangling from the model and whenever it was shielded by the airframe walking around radio contact was lost. So even if the antenna is exposed as you suggested there will come a time during flight that it will become shielded by the airframe resulting in signal loss. Are we saying here that a model cannot be painted silver if we are to use the Aurora 2.4 radio?
If PPM was used, then would expect similar result with 2.4GHz.. PCM does mask problems seen by PPM but could later bite without warning as seen with flying wires and petrol powered models.
How was the 2.4ghz antenna tip placed within the model? if close and parallel to any metal, CG or switch harness etc, it will be effected. and if antenna tip under model then ground effect will likelycome into play during range tests,refer sub section
"Receiver Operating Range, Range Test &amp; Range Problem Solving" on my webpage. In brief,any Range test should be performed with antenna clear of the ground to at least waist height as in ID Setip &amp; Range test procedures (previous post). Please exit the tip of the antenna from top of model and try the range again - works well with CF models.
2.4GHz FAQ
"Q. How do I position my BODA antenna (s)?
A. In most cases this placement is not critical. A good rule is to keep the antenna away from metal objects and the power wires as much as possible. If using the Optima 9 the optimum placement is 90 degree from each other also following the guidelines previously mentioned."</p>

Previous threads which discuss rf and metal coated models:
2.4GHz Rx and metallic covering, a problem?
Glitch-free receiver instalation in aluminum covered fuselage </p>

In need, suggest email direct, with photo of installation:
Hitec Warranty &amp; Service
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada.<span style="font-size: smaller"> (- Closed Weekends)
</span><span style="font-size: smaller">&bull; If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.

</span>Alan T.
<u><font color="#00265e">Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links</font></u>

</p>

udet1918 07-27-2012 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: udet1918 Thanks AT. Problem is the model has flown on 72 mhz for it's entire life, well over 10 years, with no radio problems and this includes having the whole of the antenna enclosed in the model. As I stated above the 7 channel receiver was tested with the antenna dangling from the model and whenever it was shielded by the airframe walking around radio contact was lost. So even if the antenna is exposed as you suggested there will come a time during flight that it will become shielded by the airframe resulting in signal loss. Are we saying here that a model cannot be painted silver if we are to use the Aurora 2.4 radio?
If PPM was used, then would expect similar result with 2.4GHz.. PCM does mask problems seen by PPM but could later bite without warning as seen with flying wires and petrol powered models.
How was the 2.4ghz antenna tip placed within the model? if close and parallel to any metal, CG or switch harness etc, it will be effected. and if antenna tip under model then ground effect will likely come into play during range tests,refer sub section
''Receiver Operating Range, Range Test & Range Problem Solving'' on my webpage. In brief, any Range test should be performed with antenna clear of the ground to at least waist height as in ID Setip & Range test procedures (previous post). Please exit the tip of the antenna from top of model and try the range again - works well with CF models.
2.4GHz FAQ
''Q. How do I position my BODA antenna (s)?
A. In most cases this placement is not critical. A good rule is to keep the antenna away from metal objects and the power wires as much as possible. If using the Optima 9 the optimum placement is 90 degree from each other also following the guidelines previously mentioned.''</p>

Previous threads which discuss rf and metal coated models:
2.4GHz Rx and metallic covering, a problem?
Glitch-free receiver instalation in aluminum covered fuselage </p>

In need, suggest email direct, with photo of installation:
Hitec Warranty & Service
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada.<span style=''font-size: smaller''> (- Closed Weekends)
</span><span style=''font-size: smaller''>• If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.

</span>Alan T.
http://<u><font color=''#00265e''>Al...nks</font></u>

</p>
Okay the problem has been discovered. The Receiver was bad. Changed it out for another and all problems vanished. Low power range check resulted in more than 2x the recommended distance with no signal loss from any angle with the antenna fully enclosed in the model and surrounded by the silver solartex. What bothers me is the receiver was NIB. Never used in a model just upgraded to newest firmware.

Ron

PT19 08-07-2012 01:59 PM

I have tryed to follow this post for a while now I need some simple help. Flaperons 5/8" down with 1/8" up elevator mixed. Need to keep it easy. I love my 9 but sometimes I let it get to me. Thanks.

MikeMayberry 08-07-2012 02:41 PM

Use the "Landing" mix. :D

Mike.

PT19 08-07-2012 05:41 PM

Mike you say landing I don't find anything about landing mix. Do you mean launch in the glid ?

A.T. 08-07-2012 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: PT19 Mike you say landing I don't find anything about landing mix. Do you mean launch in the glid ?
. Aurora 9 - Flap to Elevator - Mix Set up.
. Aurora 9 - Flap (Landing) Mix <font size="1">see also sailplane below</font>

and more underHitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
&amp; Telemetry
- FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.

boothg-3 08-07-2012 08:17 PM

I too had an aux. channel used with a switch reversed after updating the transmitter , module and reciever
just figure it was reset to default setting after updating, the gimbals were not affected

Michel 08-08-2012 03:23 PM

Hi
I hope everyone is have a wonderful summer ,............. mine is better than I can ever expect ;););)

I beleive that this question has already been asked , but I cann,t seem to find it .

I friend of mine has an Aurora 9 , which he has resently purchased . When he turns on the transmitter , there,s nothing on the screen . Is there a remidy for this , like redown-loading the transmitter .

Any help would be appreciated .

Michel