RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/8515737-new-hitec-aurora-9-channel-2-4ghz-radio-system.html)

A.T. 10-28-2009 02:05 PM

RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: Alex7403 so what field charger and cables do I need for the Aurora 9?
Hitec Aurora, Eclipse, Optic, Flash series- Field and Fast Charging
Hitec Aurora Interactive Homepage

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
</p>

Alex7403 10-28-2009 04:06 PM

Thanks,
Isnt there any simple and elegant charger like plug and charge without removing the battery?
Alex

A.T. 10-28-2009 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Alex7403 Thanks, Isnt there any simple and elegant charger like plug and charge without removing the battery? Alex
Yes, as describedpage 13 of Hitec 9ch Aurora 2.4GHz_72 mHz Manual using the 110/230 Vac charger, as included with some packages for both the Aurora and Optic Sport. Transmitter charge leadis fitted with a 1.3mm DC Power Line Female Connector. [1.3mm ID x 3.5 mm OD x 9.5 mm shaft length]
Manual indicates LEDchanges to green on completion of charge, this does not happen on all units - as all seen to date appear to simplydim out to no visiblelight .
Otherwise, to avoid possibledamage to a very nice transmitter, remove batteryand charge externallyas per a previous post.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links
</p>

talon58 10-29-2009 10:36 PM

Just ordered mine from Troybuilt Models. They had 5 in stock - with 7ch RX. Will get here on Monday. Look forward to giving it a whirl!

ssc161 11-01-2009 07:49 PM

Got my Aurora 9 on friday. First impressions were great. If just had that 'solid' feel that a lot of things you buy these days don't have. Best analogy I can think of is think of the classic big American car, close the door and it's solid, take a little tiny compact car, close the door and it feels and sounds like a tin can. The gimbles feel very nice, I especially like the heavy tension on the throttle, it can be adjusted to a less tight feel, but I like the heavy feel. To me I like knowing when I'm operating the rudder, the throttle won't inadvertantly move. Having the options for all those switch assignments is very cool. I didn't like the 'trainer' switch (momentary contact switch that returns when released) is on the top right side. I guess I am just used to the trainer switch on the top left because when I am running the buddy box, I keep the throttle wide open and my finger on the right stick so I am ready to go at a moments notice. With the trainer switch on the right side, kinda hard to hold it and the right stick comfortably for a long period of training time. This isn't really a complaint, just a preference for me, that is all. The touch screen is nice, it is so convenient not having to go thru all sorts of menus to access something. Click on E.P.A. and the next screen shows all channels right there at once, same thing with sub-trims, reversing, etc. Makes programming a breeze, and this was my first model I programmed in! So, got my P 51D Mustang all programmed in and headed out to the field today. Got the book out to do the range check. I guess I held the function button on too long on the back of the transmitter (on the 2.4 module) because things didn't seem right. In a nutshell, i switched the Tx into Scan mode from the Normal mode I thought I was still in. So, the indicator lights on the Tx module were both on, when I really only expected one to be on. Then trying the range check, things just weren't going like I thought they should. I finally thought I might have switched modes, I then switched back and the proper lights were on for being back in normal mode. The book says when doing the range check, that the lights go on after a single beep, but mine was beeping rapidly for the full 90 seconds. ?????? I did the range check and after the 90 seconds, they stopped beeping and the red light came back on solid, so I knew it was back out of range check mode. Well, I will chalk this up to the manual not being quite accurate, as when I got the radio, there was a little card inside giving a nice summary of all the indicator lights, and range check info, etc. This card described exactly what I experienced, so it is my guess that the card definitely was printed later and reflects exactly what really happens. I then fueled up the Mustang, and flew it four times with no issues whatsoever. The radio feels great in the hands. I REALLY like the gimbels as the tips of them are not a single round top, but instead have a sort of crown layout to them with a series of points. These points really grip your finger tip, and even if your finger is just catching the edge, the one or two points 'stick' into your skin and your finger just doesn't slip! The points are sharp, but don't worry, it's not like they are the tips of a needle. Just a very nice touch, that is on a long list of very nice touches. The telemetry is cool, checked the battery voltage of the Rx battery a few times. I, like a lot of others, waited for HiTec to join the 2.4 crowd, and I simply just didn't want to wait any longer, so I had went with the Airtronics RDS8000 2.4. I like the Airtronics, but it doesn't compare to this HiTec. The two radios side by side and it was a huge difference in feel, weight, gimbels. The HiTec is deffinitely heavier. Luckily for me, one of the guys here in our tiny little club has the same Airtronics 2.4 radio, so I was able to sell him both of my Tx's and all four Rx's I had to help fund this HiTec purchase. We are both happy with the deal, and I got the radio I really wanted! MY buddy got his Aurora 9 on thursday, and he had just went to 2.4 with a JR 9303 not six months ago. Him, like me, as soon as we heard all the features this radio offered, and at that PRICE, it was a no brainer. All his JR stuff is gone, all my Airtronics stuff is gone, and we both couldn't be happier. I honestly think this radio is going to be a huge game changer in RC, and I especially think that Futaba and JR have got to be scrambling right about now. I think HiTec just showed up to a big rumble carrying the proverbial big gun, and Futaba and JR are standing there with sticks. I've been a HiTec guy for the last 15 years, so I have a big grin right now! All you guys still waiting on yours, TRUST ME, IT IS WORTH THE WAIT! Tom.

gjhinshaw 11-01-2009 10:45 PM

I AGREE!!!! ITS AWSOME!!!!!

vertical grimmace 11-02-2009 09:33 PM

It really is good to here about your satisfaction guys. I really want this to be a good radio as I love the "aftermarket" aspect of Hitec. This means less expensive Rx's. That was the thing that worried me about 2.4, that we would be locked into the expensive Rx's from the "big boys." This will force their hand possibly to try to be more competitive.

gjhinshaw 11-02-2009 10:43 PM

I hear ya, AND you've got that RIGHT!!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR THIS JR AND FUTABA?????? Better pull your head out..................................

zero244 11-05-2009 12:54 PM

I had one of these on back order and decided to remove it. So far almost all the testimonials on this radio are good. But I decided to wait and let a few production runs come down the pike.
I do hope this radio lives up to the hype.
so far its looking good.
Keep us posted guys on your continued testing.

rambler53 11-06-2009 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

I hear ya, AND you've got that RIGHT!!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR THIS JR AND FUTABA?????? Better pull your head out..................................
Uh, 8FG has more features that I would actually use. Check out the specs before you make sweeping off topic comments. Salespeople use this forum to "sell" on, but we can't introduce any other radio as a comparison apparently. I'd have to go car shopping with him. Don't you compare one brand to the next in making a decision? Doesn't the fact the 8FG being the answer to Aurora 9 give an opportunity for everyone to freely express an opinion on BOTH features and pros / cons between the two side by side? After all, RCU has a section within itself that lets you compare them right in the product guide!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...terCompare.cfm

Bob Pastorello 11-06-2009 02:36 PM

Gee. I think the point of his post is that features of the Aurora in many respects represent much more capability than either JR *or* Futaba offerred on a same-number or fewer channel system. All manufacturers seem to tier feature design, because that's what separates high end from entry-level.

A person needing a 9 channel ( or 8 ) comparing JR, Futaba, Airtronics, and the Aurora would be hard pressed to find any manufacturer has provided more flexibility and features at lower cost than the Hitec.

Nothin to get upset about unless you own one of those that doesn't do as much (as I do), and am eagerly awaiting the Hitec to take advantage of the benefits it provides that do **NOT**exist in Futaba 8 ch or JR9 channel systems. Period.

I would think that JR and Futaba will both lose some market share simply because they are committed to their current product offerings, which the Hitec Aurora 9 seems to obsolete in many ways.

rambler53 11-06-2009 02:41 PM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9233094

To avoid off topic discussions I started this thread to achieve exactly this type of response. It may take awhile for people to find these radios in stock and to get familiar with them. But it's worth the wait. I am tired of thinking I've found "the" radio, just to see technology surpass it almost overnight somewhere else. But at the same time I don't want to chase gimmick features I'll never need or want to use.

A.T. 11-06-2009 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: nitro-pilot Uh, 8FG has more features that I would actually use. Check out the specs before you make sweeping off topic comments, rcken thinks it's ok for salespeople to use this forum to "sell" on, but we can't introduce any other radio as a comparison apparently. I'd have to go car shopping with him. Don't you compare one brand to the next in making a decision? Doesn't the fact the 8FG being the answer to Aurora 9 give an opportunity for everyone to freely express an opinion on BOTH features and pros / cons between the two side by side? After all, RCU has a section within itself that lets you compare them right in the product guide! http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...terCompare.cfm
Once again, as in at least two other threads,same author posts comment not related to topic. FWIW the8FG wassimply alreadyout of date at time of recent release and does not have enough features to make it ontothe comparison charts where the 10C sits and even that does not feature as well as the Aurora. refer to Hitec Aurora Comparison with JR&amp;FutabaChart
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links

rambler53 11-06-2009 02:49 PM

delete

Bob Pastorello 11-06-2009 04:47 PM

WAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Mine is on it's way, and that is the best news of the week.....
The very first experiment will be doing the quad ailerons for the bipe, and the R&gt;E and R&gt;A mixes and flight modes.....I have to thank Tom Fawcett at Wildhare for doing the real-world testing and feature describing that helped me make my decision.

This is gonna be good.

Meyer1811 11-06-2009 05:41 PM

YESSSSS!!! mine is on its way also.

I am going to test it out in my Slow Stick before it soes in something more demanding.

John

Gungadin 11-06-2009 05:51 PM

Yes Bob. Wild Hare Toms' input is valuable to me also cause I know his opinion comes from lots of experience and not cause he likes to hear himself talk. I'm seriously considering buying this radio. Now I see they have a deal where you get a free extra RX'r and a coupon for another at $39 if you buy before March 31st. This is hard to pass up. I think I know what Santa is going to bring me !!! :)

JVB 11-06-2009 08:33 PM

Got mine about three weeks ago. Flew it today for the first time. Perfect. Ranged checked and got tired of walking at 180 feet. I sent in the coupon for two receivers for $39 and they arrived in about 5-6 days. All is good. Nothing bad to say about this radio yet.

rctom 11-07-2009 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Gungadin

Yes Bob. Wild Hare Toms' input is valuable to me also cause I know his opinion comes from lots of experience and not cause he likes to hear himself talk. I'm seriously considering buying this radio. Now I see they have a deal where you get a free extra RX'r and a coupon for another at $39 if you buy before March 31st. This is hard to pass up. I think I know what Santa is going to bring me !!! :)
FYI I have one left at $409.00. Contact me at 817-430-0107.

TF

nachman4859 11-08-2009 04:18 PM

[sm=lol.gif][sm=teeth_smile.gif] I Went to Fly My QuiQue Somenzini Yak54 74 WS /Moki 180 /Ive been a futaba Guy all my RC Life 12 Total Since AM Attack radio (Remember Them) I cant believe Hi Tec Got in front of them...But after Testing the Radio , They did .. I have Flown This Model Many Times. With a Futaba 10cap Super , dont get me wrong .the Futaba 72 PCM Is a Very Solid Radio.. But 2.4 is becoming the Future.. So It Was Time to Pick one My Budget was 500. I checked out the Jr 9303 ,Airtronics10ch,Futaba10cag,(Spectrum7- Lower jr),and then the Aurora9 , What caught my eye first..was the ball bearing gimbals, then the speed, then you can put lipos in the transmitterand reciever 7.4Volts (Perfect...) But then I saw a funny Video (in German) Where this guy Is filling and draining the fuel out of the models tank (with a syringe or Turkey Baster) And you could see the Transmitter level go up and Down (I couldnt understand the language.. But I could see The Demo ...Wow) ...I was Sold. Well , I was a little nervous, my first new Radio(in a long Time) my first 2.4. I tried the Programming.. It Was so Easy, The Touchscreen is Very Well Laid out ..I was able to Program the yak without the manual(Im real good at futaba programming) I did not need anything special except to use 2 aileron and two elevator channels and I particularly like the way you can make the unnamed aux channels anything you want ... I set it up ...Then Went thru the range check ..a little confusing at first try ... but then I got it walked the 100ft away during( the low power setting -It beeps- ) and all Surfaces operated perfectly .. I called out anybody got channel 18 !!! Force of habit . ;) I dont need to do that anymore ..(Now the Flying) ... The first thing I noticed is how smooth the controls are.. Sensitive, but not jittery ... and how connected you feel to your plane. Its kind of like before the plane would Echo you finger controls and now its Real Time... That is the best way to describe it ...I flew 5 Times! Every flight after the first got better.. and braver you get lower and do more , its a trust thing ...you have to earn it ... I Bought mine from TBM , I was Lucky they got 5 I got one of five (Im from Texas TBM is in Florida)... I also sent out for the reciever voucher $399 + shipping Included in the radio is a Free Reciever (one)Voucher Or for 39.99 you get 2 - 7ch recievers That is 3 total ! ...Count me in.... That is a deal..For something nobody has. I cant Believe the crowd I attracted at my flying field . Everybody wanted to see it in action ... I got the most response When,.. I Adjusted my Fromeco Regulator (you short the pins and you could see the voltage change in real time. We were recreating a low battery condition in flight and the low battery alarm went off ...That is just too cool... If you have ever had a Low battery or a servo go bad and cause a voltage drop... and lose a plane for that ... that is worth the price in itself... Thanks Hitec.. :D Nachman.... Our club website is rcmodelers of laredo www.laredorc.org

CSpierings 11-09-2009 03:16 PM

Mike,

My local shop has a shipment of the Auroras in and has one set aside for me. I am afraid I may have misunderstood this post and want to make sure I understand. As things stand the systems in stock apparently have a 2 7 channel RXs. I thought I read somewhere that the systems shipping with 9 channel RXs would have a similar intro. bundle.

Is that true or wishful thinking on my part. At this point I am prepared to wait for the 9 channel RX bundle if that is what is going to become available. In these parts winter isn't far off and there are few flying days left. Waiting a few more days for the 9 channel RXs to ship the the TX doesn't matter.

Thanks

gjhinshaw 11-09-2009 03:31 PM

The coupon is good for Optima 7's receivers ONLY. You can get a Aurora 9 with a 9 ch. but coupon is only good for the 7 ch. receivers

Gungadin 11-09-2009 07:26 PM

Anyone besides me think it a little strange that the new A9 is 1024 resolution, when 2048 has been with us for more than a year with Futaba. Not sure it means a lot with the flying experience, but I would think that when you bring out a new radio which you know will be compared to what else is out there, that you would want it to match up with the competition. And I believe the A9 does match up very well except for the 1024 VS 2048 resolution spec. Wonder if anyone else thinks this may be an issue ?

A.T. 11-09-2009 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Gungadin Anyone besides me think it a little strange that the new A9 is 1024 resolution, when 2048 has been with us for more than a year with Futaba. Not sure it means a lot with the flying experience, but I would think that when you bring out a new radio which you know will be compared to what else is out there, that you would want it to match up with the competition. And I believe the A9 does match up very well except for the 1024 VS 2048 resolution spec. Wonder if anyone else thinks this may be an issue ?
Resolutioncovered *********** thread(Hitec Aurora 9 announced) post #234
" <span style="font-size: smaller">Quote: Originally Posted by knighttwister
i thought resolution was the amount of information the servo receives and how the servo is able to understand it. the potentiometer is the endpoint of the information transmitted by and received by the two ends of the radio signal system.
the bands on the pot just aren't narow enough to carry all that resolution to the gear train.
it's like the lines of resolution on a tv. the more lines the tv can receive, the clearer the picture.
or am i wrong again?
</span>
Not directed at knighttwister, he just asked a good question.
Resolution in the transmitter and at the servo are not exactly the same thing, the Tx works in digital and servos (even digital servos) receive their commands in analog mode. A servo determines its position based on the length (in time) of a pulse that is sent to it from the Rx.
I think there may be a misconception that with digital servos the information is digital end-to-end, this is not the case. It actually goes from digital to analog, back to digital in the servo (sort of, not really) and is then referenced to an analog positioning sensor.
The transmitter (in 2.4 systems and in PCM) sends the commanded servo position out to the Rx in digital format, a number between 0 and 1023 (1024) or 0 and 2047 (2048). The receiver then converts that number to a time period for the length of the pulse to the servo. This pulse itself is not all that precise, the exact moment of on/off status is left up to the servo to interpret as the edges of the signal are not perfectly square.
Given the conversion to analog time pulse, and the relative imprecision of the analog signal, I find the discussion to be pretty meaningless. I have serious doubts that anyone can tell the difference flying the plane.
You guys are getting all upset about marketing stuff. If this was a CNC machine tool with stepper motors working in a medium where thousandths of an inch can be measured then I'd say you have a point. But you are working with wood and fiberglass moving in a medium of air that is moving around. It seems like you are talking about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. TF., Wildhare RC".

As a previous author said same thread
"1024 or 2048. does it matter?
are there many servos out there that can actually take advantage of 2048?
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links</p>

zero244 11-09-2009 09:51 PM

Im a little surprised no serious flaw has been reported on this radio. I guess I shouldn't.....Hitec has been making RC systems for a long time. And they apparently have done enough R and D on this radio to avoid any major pitfalls.
The fact that they are new to 2.4 doesn't bother me at all. Everyone is somewhat new to 2.4.
What really impresses me about this radio is the programming. I find Futaba programming overly complicated with a lot of menu hopping to get something done.
I haven't used a JR but I suspect the A9 is better as well.
Unless there is some kind of major problem I will be ordering a A9 within the next couple of months.
Those of us who don't have one yet appreciate you guys who have plunged into the water.
Keep us posted on your progress and opinions.