RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Turnigy receiver controlled on off switch (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/9023559-turnigy-receiver-controlled-off-switch.html)

Zafer 08-17-2009 04:31 PM

Turnigy receiver controlled on off switch

Hi,

I have bought a receiver controlled switch to kill the ignition. But I failed to connect it to the system correctly. I am not good at electronics . I am trying to put the switch between ignition battery and on off switch and put the other end to receivers' gear channel. Never works... On hobby city's site they say you need two batteries , some says you need common ground (I dont even happen to know what the common ground is)

Is there anyone who has already set that thing up ? If so please put some photos or diagrams ( for dummies) to help.

Thanks and regards.

Zafer

fizzwater2 08-17-2009 05:07 PM

RE: Turnigy receiver controlled on off switch

go to the hobby king website, open up the product page for the switch

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=8833

there's a link there for some wiring diagrams

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...g/e-switch.jpg

Good luck!

Common ground just means that if you do use two batteries, the ground wires from both have to be tied together.

Also note, in "method 2" in the wiring diagram - if battery 1 is your receiver battery, and you aren't using a speed control with BEC or something, the RX battery goes to your RX as normal, the battery 2 would have the ground (black wire or brown wire (JR)) tied to the black (or brown) of the battery 1, the red wire goes into the switch, out of the switch to whatever it is you're turning on/off.

Zafer 08-18-2009 02:15 PM

Hi,

Yes, I have soldered a wire between the (-) wires of the batteries and the switch is now functional.

I use gear channel of JR x9303 and gear switch turns the ignition on and off.

Thanks.

Zafer

bustanut666 04-16-2010 11:20 AM

still have no clue on how to wire this thing.. anyone got a close up picture of the wiring??

thanks

snuts 04-16-2010 06:38 PM

Now my problem/question.
I have one controling my LED lights on a foamy, works great.
I tried to use this same product to control my 1.2V onboard glow driver for my 4 stroke. It appears that I am trying to operate it below it's minimum voltage. They only publish a max voltage of 30V, but no minimum. Does this seam right, that I am asking it to control a circuit below it's intended opperating range? If so, how would I find out it's true voltage range?
Thank-You for any help.
-Snuts-

airbusdrvr 04-17-2010 06:02 AM

snuts, get one of these, http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...-BATTLSW1.html . I use them on a couple of planes with on board glow. Good quality and it works right out of the box.

snuts 04-17-2010 06:44 PM

Exactly! That is what I was looking for a contactor, with a clean set of contacts.
Thank-You,
-Snuts-

jharding58 05-04-2010 11:12 AM

There may have been comments made already, so forgive me if this is redundant. The Turnigy switch is very easy to use if you can share the ground with the receiver battery. The switch will be wired into the positive lead of the load (lights, motor, etc.) and that is about it for the switch wiring. Connection to the receiver is a doddle, but correct operation requires that there is a ground shared between the load and the receiver - that is the message the drawings attempt to convey. You cannot (at least I have not been able to) optically isolate the switched circuit from the receiver circuit. That is the realm of a relay based switch (Pico Switch or Battle Switch) that simply requires the controller connection to the receiver.

GIJon 05-17-2010 01:33 PM

I have a couple of these switch units. I'm confused about the rx connector. My rx connector has a orange wire, red wire and a greyish/purple wire. Which color is ground or which color is the signal wire?

Second...I would like to run some LEDs from my receiver battery without an extra battery. So if I plug the rx battery into the rx and then plug the Turnigy plug into say ch. 5, do I still need to run an extra ground wire?

Thanks.

BarracudaHockey 05-17-2010 01:40 PM

If you're talking about killing the electonic ignition on a gas engine get an optically isolated kill switch like the one from Smart Fly or 42pecent Scale products

GIJon 05-18-2010 08:38 AM

AHA! Trial and error...and reading the discussion forum at Hobby King...I got it. All is good for my nightflyer. Nice switch...glad I bought 3 of them.

jerdavis 05-18-2010 08:54 AM

Jon,

The color code is the same as JR: Brown is ground (minus, -), red is plus (+), orange is signal.

1. Tap into and wire between switch plug wire ground(-) to minus(-) side of LED
2. Tap into and wire between switch plug wire plus (+) to battery plus(+) side of switch. The Bat + side of the switch is opposite the mode shorting jumper.
3. Wire between plus(+) load side of switch to (+) side of LED. The load (+) side of the switch is in line with the word"Turnigy".
4. plug into Rx
5. Select combination of jumper to get desired mode.

Hope this helps
Jerry

Sandman1234 05-20-2010 10:15 AM

I bought a couple of these and my question is:

Can I use them without the BEC? If so, how do I wire it.

Second Q:

Instead of using a jumper to make a common ground, can you just carefull slice the heatshrink and solder a wire from the ground of the receiver harness (brown or black) to the other end where the switching wires (red) are, and then change that lead to black.

Can this work??

I ended up getting a battleswitch since the solenoid board I'm using has a NO/NC/COM that is in use.

jerdavis 05-21-2010 09:12 AM

Sandman:

The above description is for use without a BEC, using the receiver battery to power the load and assuming the battery in the drawing is a receiver battery. Just ignore the BEC as shown in the Turnigy drawing except for the wires.

If I understand your second question correctly, the answer is yes. Splice into the ground of the Rx anywhere, including the "servo lead" of the switch, then solder the other end to the minus side the "load".

If you use the Rx battery to power the "load", the + of the battery (or the Rx) must be connected to the big red wire that is the "in" side of the switch.

If you use a separate battery to power the load, the + of that battery must be connected to the "in" side of the switch rather than the Rx battery being connected to it. Also you must connect the minus (-) side of the separate battery to the minus side of the load in addition to the minus side of the Rx or Rx battery.

JD

vios8820 01-13-2011 05:44 PM

damn i really still can't get it..

can it be used in as baja kill switch ?
i pretty suck at wiring ...

darticus 04-08-2015 10:27 AM

How can I wire to a led and not use a second battery? Can the two red wires just go to the light and the plug go to the receiver gear? Thanks Ron