RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   range check (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/94389-range-check.html)

Russman 04-03-2002 03:33 AM

range check

I have a Futaba Super 7 radio in a Cap231ex. What is the proper procedure for range checking this radio. I don't have a manual for it. With the antenna down,I can only get about 5 feet away before I get jitters (actually the plane gets the jitters,I am fine). At least than 10 feet it dies completely. All batteries are fully charged and the receiver anteanna length is 1100 mm as recommended by Futaba. Futabas website talks about range checking but it doesn't specify if the antenna should be up or down. Can anyone tell me for sure? Thanks guys!
Rusty

tbone4343 04-03-2002 04:51 AM

bad range check

send back to manufacturer needs gone over -send everything back switch ,harneses,battery ,receiver ,trans. everything and have it all checked , be assured that everything is right ,
. :thumbup:

Russman 04-03-2002 05:04 AM

range check

forgot to mention that I am flying 3 other planes off of this transmitter. They range check better but nowhere near 100 feet

Ed 04-03-2002 05:39 AM

Russman

Originally posted by Russman
forgot to mention that I am flying 3 other planes off of this transmitter. They range check better but nowhere near 100 feet
If you are actually flying 3 other planes from that Tx, then your problem is likely in your receiver, or receiver installation in that Cap 231. I normally get at about 50 paces with all of my Futaba equipment with the antenna fully collapsed. The very minimum that I will accept is 30 paces. Check your Rx antenna for breaks, keep it away from all other installed wiring, and even swap the Rx with a known good one, from one of the other 3 planes that you are flying successfully.

amcross 04-03-2002 01:17 PM

range check

Range check is completed antenna collapsed (except on the 9C which requires antenna extended one segment).

Your receiver needs checking/service if the other 3 range fine.

Range checks vary dramatically depending upon the area at which you fly, your installation, position of antenna, etc. However, if your other 3 models have always shown the same range and still do, that is likely your "good" range check for that radio in those conditions.

Question -- have you changed the crystal in your TX module to a different channel? if so, it is CRITICAL you have that module retuned for safety reasons, for FCC regulation reasons, and for performance reasons.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER

tonyF3A 04-04-2002 04:41 AM

range check

There is also an update to the R127DF receivers that will greatly improve range checks. There were at least four different versions of this receiver.

Geistware 04-09-2002 12:17 AM

range check

I am having a simular problem as well, I have two GP Giles 202's and the set-up is the same except one is Gas and the other is Glow. My Glow plane will range over 100 steps with the engine off or on (300ft) My Gas version will only range at about 20 steps with the engine off or on. I have tried three different receivers and (2-R127DF and 1-R148DF). I did manage to get the R148DF to range at 60 steps but when I moved it around or installed it, I only get the 20 steps. I am thinking about sending all of the receivers to Tony but I would like to know if something is impacting the reception quality or is it the nature of the beast.

Ann Marie, what is considered a minimum for ranging?

amcross 04-09-2002 10:37 AM

range check

Geist,
If your ignition is hot in the poor range check tests, the problem is almost definitely there. You've told me yourself what your quality range checks are, and that is what you need to see whether it is gas or glow if it is the same plane, same rx, same tx, same conditions.

There's lots to know about gas installations to avoid noise.

Here's some helpful info to get you started:

http://www.futabarc.com/faq/product-faq.html#q136

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER

Russman 04-13-2002 01:05 AM

range check

After some testing and switching around of recievers between my planes,I located the problem. Turned out to be the crystal. I changed it and the problem went away. Thanks to everyone who responded and offered help. Yall are the best!