RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Aurora 9 Suspicions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/9592399-aurora-9-suspicions.html)

Highflight 03-18-2010 10:05 AM

Aurora 9 Suspicions

OK, so I'm sitting here playing with the A9 because I decided to replace my beloved EVO/12 with a 2.4ghz radio.
The A9 is a 9 channel radio, and the EVO is a 12 channel radio. I chose the A9 for it's full channel assignability to any switch or control.

So I get curious and start counting. And here's what I get:
EVO-12 channel radio has 14 total, of gimbals, switches, and other controls.
Aurora 9 channel radio has... hmmm.... 14 total, of gimbals, switches, and other controls.

Then I'm thinking; is it the 2.4ghz module that determines the number of channels of a radio, or are the number of channels native to the radio itself (i.e., the software programming of the radio). I honestly don't know.

But I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, that if it's the software that determines the number of channels in the Aurora 9, then is it possible that a software upgrade (eventually) is all it would take for the Aurora 9 to become an Aurora 12?
Otherwise, why would a 9 channel radio be built with the same number of controls as an EVO 12 channel radio?

Additionally, if it is the 2.4ghz module itself that primarily determines the number of channels in a radio, then that could mean that it would only take a change to a 12 channel module (and probably a software update as well) to get to a 12 channel Aurora.

Do my suspicions have merit?

rctom 03-18-2010 11:00 AM

RE: Aurora 9 Suspicions

It's the software that determines the number of channels. The channels are (over-simplified explanation) transmitted as a stream of encoded data with a number for each channel that represents that channel's servo position. The receiver then takes that number and converts it to a time-based pulse that goes to each servo.

So clearly the A9 could have more channels if they want it to, at least that is my supposition.

So now I have a question for those that read this.

I proposed to Hitec that instead of having different transmitters with different numbers they should have available different software modules that can be purchased by the consumer to make the transmitter into whatever is needed. The same A9 box could have different levels of functionality based on what software you are using.

But Hitec seemed to think that this was something the consumer's would not accept, that the idea of having different levels of performance software available at differing prices would confuse and possibly offend the user (these are my words, not theirs).

I look at it like buying software for a PC, if you want the good stuff you pay more. Radios/transmitters nowadays are really just integrated computers and I think the public would readily accept and endorse this idea.

What do you say?

TF

Texastbird 03-18-2010 12:18 PM

If you like the EVO 12 so much, why didn't you just convert it to 2.4? There is a lot of info out on the net on how to do it.

Pippin 03-18-2010 12:57 PM

The EVO 12 has got only 4 flight modes. I think the A9 is the better radio.

Highflight 03-18-2010 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

If you like the EVO 12 so much, why didn't you just convert it to 2.4? There is a lot of info out on the net on how to do it.
The first conversions available resulted in losing full 12 channel functionality, and I didn't buy a 12 channel radio in order to later convert it to a 9 channel radio.

Now, you can get a 12 channel conversion, but at better than $200 because you can't buy the module itself without being forced to buy a high dollar 12 channel receiver (I use the 12 channels more for the mixing flexibility than for controlling 12 moving parts).

In the end, I chose to switch brands mainly because Multiplex itself has abandoned the American market by not investing in getting their own brand of 2.4ghz modules certified for the US market. That tells me that Multiplex is a dead product and has no future here in the US, so I didn't think I wanted to dump more money into a radio that isn't supported by it's own company.

I still have the EVO/12 and fly it on 72mhz (of course), but I think I'll sell it and bail out of Multiplex completely once I've got 6 or 8 of my aircraft changed over to 2.4ghz receivers. That is, if anyone wants to buy a Multiplex anymore.

Highflight 03-18-2010 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: rctom
I proposed to Hitec that instead of having different transmitters with different numbers they should have available different software modules that can be purchased by the consumer to make the transmitter into whatever is needed. The same A9 box could have different levels of functionality based on what software you are using.

But Hitec seemed to think that this was something the consumer's would not accept, that the idea of having different levels of performance software available at differing prices would confuse and possibly offend the user (these are my words, not theirs).

I look at it like buying software for a PC, if you want the good stuff you pay more. Radios/transmitters nowadays are really just integrated computers and I think the public would readily accept and endorse this idea.

What do you say?

TF
I totally agree and don't understand how you could get that response from Hitec unless the company is pupulated by a bunch of fuddy-duddies born in the middle of the last century.

Your analogy to computers is spot-on. In "the old days" when we had Futaba 7FGK's running around, you had just one radio for one airplane and the hardware WAS the radio.
Now with computers having taken over the hobby, the hardware isn't what makes a radio, it's the software that does.
If you think about it, when people complain (or rave) about the various radios in use today, it's almost never about a radio's hardware, it's about how good or bad the software works.

If you're correct (I'll assume you are) that it's the software that determines the number of channels in a computer radio, then selling a software upgrade to convert an A9 to an A12 makes a whole lot of sense.
I'll bet that what the Hitec company is most fearful of is if someone (with the knowledge) writes a renegade software upgrade that will do exactly that to the A9 and make it a 12 channel, or even a 14 channel radio. It certainly has enough controls on it to support such.

And let's face it, every manufacturer of radios is in trouble once someone comes up with a full voice interface for programming. Of course it will be called the "Hal 9000" R/C transmitter, and will even be able to make an argument that a crash was, in fact, your own fault.
Sorry, going a bit off the reservation here... [X(]

BuschBarber 03-18-2010 02:43 PM

I think it is about time that more radio manufacturers start offering the ability to Flash Upgrade your Firmware, like you do your PC and other devices. Obviously, the A9 is innovative in that regard. I actually never thought about adding Channels that way.

Even if someone comes up with a way to Hack the Firmware in a Tx, to add more channels, where are you going to find compatible receivers with that many channels?

Check the Internet. There are many sites that tell you how to use Free software to Edit the Operating Systems on Cell Phones in order to Add Ringtones, Modify Settings, Upgrade the Firmware, etc.. The Cell Phone companies want you to buy Ringtones and Music from them and then Charge you each year for another License.

If you can Flash the BIOS on your PC, you should be able to Flash the Firmware on your Tx.

rctom 03-18-2010 03:40 PM

I totally agree and don't understand how you could get that response from Hitec unless the company is pupulated by a bunch of fuddy-duddies born in the middle of the last century.

Hey!

I was born in the middle of the last century and it was my idea. It's not how old you are, it's how you think.

TF

Carpilot 03-18-2010 11:02 PM

I don't know but my 9303 2.4 is the same way, if you count all the switches up like that you get 14 or 15. I think it is just because the switch assignments are so versatile, you can assign functions to different switches, if you did not have extra switches that would limit your choices for switch assignments.

For example I can move the flap assignment from the 3 position flap switch to the left finger lever without changing any other assignments, if it wasn't for those extra switches....well you get the idea.

jonkoppisch 03-19-2010 06:25 AM

That would be GREAT if you could upgrade the radio to a 12 or 14 channel!!!!!! Of course, it would depend on how much they want to charge for the software...

Sounds to cool so it will probably be a 1 in a million chance they'll do it..