RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Spektrum DX7 question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/9728172-spektrum-dx7-question.html)

STUKA BARRY 05-12-2010 07:18 AM

Spektrum DX7 question

My DX7 has been working flawlessly for one season now on giant scale warbirds. I was told to rebind every so often, is this true? Thanx in advance.

BarracudaHockey 05-12-2010 07:23 AM

RE: Spektrum DX7 question

While it's certainly not going to hurt anything, unless you make changes, and as long as its working, I don't think it's needed.

I have 2+ year old helicopters that I fly every weekend that haven't been bound since initial setup was done.

sgillmore 05-12-2010 10:27 AM

Who told you that...a Futaba guy? :) I have several planes that have been flying on Spektrum tech ever since the DX7 was released. They haven't been rebound since their initial setup. Once they're bound you shouldn't have to worry about it. In addition to my DX7, I now have a JR X9303. Never a lick of trouble with either one.

STUKA BARRY 05-12-2010 03:20 PM

Some idiot from Joe Nall, he probably is a Futaba guy. Thanx very much for the info, I thought it was a dumb idea, but just thought I'd inquire.

tacx 05-13-2010 01:10 PM

Guys, Don't be so hasty. It is true that you should not HAVE to rebind after the initial bind. BUT, If you have done any readjusting to your planes control surfaces, like new control horn positions, etc,etc, you should rebind. WHY?, because after you change anything on your plane, your radio only remembers the failsafe positions of the servos from before you made any changes. In most cases this probably is not going to be a problem if your changes are very minor. SOOO, what you were told is not bad advice.

Note Barracudahockeys' post where he state "UNLESS YOU MAKE CHANGES"

Warbird Joe 05-14-2010 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

My DX7 has been working flawlessly for one season now on giant scale warbirds. I was told to rebind every so often, is this true? Thanx in advance.

I have been flying now for two years with my DX7 and have not lost or had to rebind on any of my planes. I do agree with rebinding if you have made some changes like the others have posted, just for the failsafe purposes. Other than that, there is no reason to rebind. IMHO.

Joe

Flypaper 2 05-14-2010 09:47 PM

The DX7 has no failsafe position for the surfaces. They stay at their last position before losing signal. Only the throttle goes to its programmed failsafe position. Only the 9 channel and up have control surfaces go to a failsafe position.

Zeeb 05-15-2010 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

The DX7 has no failsafe position for the surfaces. They stay at their last position before losing signal. Only the throttle goes to its programmed failsafe position. Only the 9 channel and up have control surfaces go to a failsafe position.
Umm....

Not to be TOO picky, but the failsafe/smartsafe capability is in the rx not the tx.

Also IIRC the newer seven channel rx's which also have Flight Log capability, can be set for either of the two Spektrum/JR failsafe functions just like the 9 channel and above rx's, one being as you mentioned and the other being the more normally thought of situation where all servos move to a predetermined position on RF signal loss.

Since all those rx's will work with a DX-7, you could have either failsafe type function you want be selecting the appropriate rx.

Flypaper 2 05-15-2010 09:46 AM

Yes, I should have said the rcvr, not the trans. Can't wait for that DX8 to come out.:D