RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Hope This Wont lead to a war! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/985728-hope-wont-lead-war.html)

bikz 07-24-2003 02:05 AM

Hope This Wont lead to a war!

Just wondering..between this 2 radio giants..which one is better...FUTABA or JR...or are they equally the same.

I need to get my new radio and want to get the best one so iwas thinking of either the 9CAP(FUTABA) or the PCM9(JR)So far i have not seen this PCM9(FUTABA) in any of the RC store website from the States but a store n Singapore(www.rotor.com.sg) is selling it.Both have almost similar functions and look FANTASTIC.
But how come the Futaba radios of the equal functions and channels to the JR(lets say the PCM9 & 9CAP/10Z of Futaba & 10X of JR) are always cheaper than the JR ones?
Thanks and please give me and idea on what to get.

bikz 07-24-2003 02:08 AM

Sorry the PCM9 is a JR and not a FUTABA(the one i said not found in any of the WEBSITES of the rc stores in USA).The Futaba one is the 9CAP.Sorry for the mistake.

Razor-RCU 07-24-2003 02:42 AM

oooooh

Tough one> kinda a Ford vs Chevy thing-

What kind of flying do you do?

Both are outstanding.... If you already have RX's that are JR or Futaba then go with the same brand for compatibility, otherwise go with the best deal you find!

I use the 9C and have used the JR 8103 quite a bit, but have not used a 10X or the new JR 9 channel- or the 9Z from Futaba

Good luck and have fun!
jame

bikz 07-24-2003 03:49 AM

nope i'm using sanwa(airtronics) at the moment.Its a 4 chanel basic radio.
Want to do 3D as well as everything else.
Flying a CAP232.

3DFanatic 07-24-2003 05:26 AM

Bikz - for 3D, I really recomend the Futaba. It has switch assignability so you can put your rates and mixes right where it suits YOU. Not even the JR 10X offers this.

Nothing against JR, it's a great radio. But for 3D, you really need your stuff at your fingertips.

FLYBOY 07-24-2003 01:12 PM

Both are good quality and you would probably be happy with either. Personally, I don't think you can beat the 9 Ch Futaba, but that is just my opinion. I really like it. I have flown Futaba for over 27 years and have flown the rest, but never kept any of the other brands. Futaba has always worked for me.

jwoolridge 07-24-2003 03:37 PM

I'm a JR pilot. You can hand me any JR radio except the 10x and I can program it to do anything. I thought I was doing good to set up a plane in a half hour with my JR x378. I was wrong. I programed the 9cap while helping a friend setup some of his planes. It was so easy. It took me about 5 mins. I really like the assinable switches and the fact that it shows up all the functions on one page intead of having to randomly sift through them. I think although I have flown JR exclusively since I started into rc that when the time comes that I have to upgrade I'll be getting a 9caf or cap because there so easy to program. Although I do like the looks and features of the new 9x I still would love to have assinable switches. So if it was me buying a radio I would go for the 9cap. Also the compac module is nice so you never run out of models.
James

Jim_McIntyre 07-24-2003 04:34 PM

Originally posted by bikz
nope i'm using sanwa(airtronics) at the moment.Its a 4 chanel basic radio.
Want to do 3D as well as everything else.
Flying a CAP232.

Thought you might want to know... your current airtronics receivers are compatible with JR....

mr.rc-cam 07-24-2003 04:35 PM

JR is easier to pronounce.

Beyond that, both radio brands offer great products. If you will need help setting up the system, or wish to buddy box, then pick a brand that is owned by other club members.

kwelz 07-24-2003 05:55 PM

Six of one. Half Dozen of the other.

The programability of the 9C is the only real tie breaker.
Outside of that you are trully looking at personal preference. I have a 9C and am looking into getting an 8103 or a 9X. It would not however replace my 9C. Only compliment it.

JohnW 07-24-2003 08:39 PM

I told myself I'd never get into one of these threads again because they typically turn sour, but I think I can shed a little light on the high ends. I think I can be fairly unbiased.

If we are talking high end radios, i.e 10X vs 9ZAP...

Futaba - Unique strong points: Campac, synth mods with change in freq on front panel, switch assignments, superior mixing, full conditions, full software package (plank/heli/sail.)

Futaba - Weak points: 8 @ 1024PCM and one on/off channel, quiet beeper (the beeper sound level is personal complaint of mine, probably not that important to most.) Hard for some to program.

JR - Strong points: Easier to program for some, nice loud beeper, 8 @ 1024PCM and 2 @512PCM.

JR - Weak Points: Only one software package per TX, lack of full conditions, weaker switch assignments.

For me, the Futaba 9ZAP is superior to the 10x based on above. Hence, I own a ZAP. The kicker is really everything listed in the Futaba Strong Points. The JR 9th/10th channels really aren't supposed to be used for critical servos, so in some respects it is a moot issue that the JR is 10ch (really 8 + 2 limited.) I can see where for a decked out scale plane or jet one might need all 10ch or even more. In that case the ZAP loses to JR based on lack of channels, but for most, this isn't an issue. The JR costs about the same as the Futaba, yet the JR is technically far behind in the software department. They lack key programming features that the ZAP has like full conditions. Additionally, you only get software for one model type with a JR10x.

As for the 9CAP (not the ZAP), I am really impressed with this radio as it applies to the addicted average sport pilot that doesn't need the gizmos only found in the ZAP. I haven't seen a JR9 so I can't really compare. But, if JR holds true to thier history, I'm sure it will be a very nice radio. While I personally believe that the ZAP is technically superior to a JR 10X (i.e. Futaba in this case, comparing these two specific radios, is better than JR in my humble opinion) I'd like to stress that both Futaba and JR make a very good radios. You'll be happy with either.

3DFanatic 07-25-2003 12:00 AM

*grumbles at people who can't say Futaba* :p

Repeat after me, folks. FOO-TAH-BAH

Also, contrary to popular belief. It's S-EYE-TOE Not SAY-TOE (For Saito engines). ai makes an eye sound..

MO_Radio_Tech 07-26-2003 09:54 PM

Did anyone see the latest Model Aviation? (ama) The JR pilots were doing quite well this time.
I know it goes back and forth.

Great pilots are happy with either radio.

If you are are used to JR switch layout, then you don't want to change anyway. And I think JR has a good idea in designing switch placement to tailor to the Model type.

I do wish the 10X Air had the other software in it for Helis. with the 8103/783 radios, swicthes were optimized for aircraft type, but you could still fly the other type if you wished. I prefer the 8103 heli switch placement to Air for flying Airplanes and well as Helis. I also like the smoothe throttle feel on JR Heli Radios instead of the Air "rough ratchet" feel. I ordered the smoothies and put them in my 652's throttle sticks too.

I can't forget to mention Gimbals. I greatly prefer the feel (and adjustable spring tension) of the Higher-end JR radios. 652, 783, 8103, 10X etc. all have them. I have had several brands of TX and I just prefer JR gimbals.

Every plus I have mentioned so far is a matter of personal preference.

There is one other JR plus. I think the JR R945 is the best receiver made. This opinion is from personal testing and input from others. The R945 is the recevier of choice for Bob Violett Models. Jets.

Futaba makes great receivers. Plenty of Jets in the air with Futaba too.

strato911 07-27-2003 01:33 AM

Re: Hope This Wont lead to a war!

Originally posted by bikz
But how come the Futaba radios of the equal functions and channels to the JR(lets say the PCM9 & 9CAP/10Z of Futaba & 10X of JR) are always cheaper than the JR ones?
Sales volume, and marketing.

Originally posted by 3DFanatic
Also, contrary to popular belief. It's S-EYE-TOE Not SAY-TOE (For Saito engines). ai makes an eye sound...

Taught by most elementary school teachers
"When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking."

3DFanatic 07-27-2003 05:29 AM

AMERICAN elementary school ;) Not Japanese.

In reference to JR gimbals. They really are the best. THey're so nice a and smooth. :D

Highflight 07-27-2003 10:47 AM

Originally posted by 3DFanatic
*grumbles at people who can't say Futaba* :p

Repeat after me, folks. FOO-TAH-BAH

Also, contrary to popular belief. It's S-EYE-TOE Not SAY-TOE (For Saito engines). ai makes an eye sound..

I do-a notta know-a wish lanwauge you speek, but I zink "Say-toe" is zee coo-recked pro-noncement.

Highflight

johnhardy1 07-27-2003 04:20 PM

I am on my way to the field and thought Id add my 2 cents. My area of the country is predominantly JR owners though I own Futaba.
I think it's that way because the name JR just sounds American....like "JR Ewing" from that "Dallas" tv show. People around here understand something called JR.....Futaba sounds very foreign.

The next time you come across a couple people arguing between the two remember its exactly the same as two people arguing between Honda and Toyota. :confused:

1st person - "Honda is the best ! They have the best cars !"
2nd person - " Youre crazy ! Toyota makes the best cars you dolt !"
:rolleyes:

bikz 07-28-2003 02:43 AM

thanks alot to all the RADIO junkies here who have managed to shed some light on FOOH-TA-BAH and JAY ARE radios.
Anyway with my little bit of research and as well as from all the advice from this thread..i have decided to get a FOOH-TA-BA 9 CAP.
I seriously like this radio but now know that JAY-ARE are equally as good.
Cheers.