RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   6x LCD almost out ??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/99365-6x-lcd-almost-out.html)

bugsiegel 04-08-2002 01:16 AM

6x LCD almost out ???

Just today my LCD on the 6X just decided not to work.
About two weeks ago to took out the radio to fly. When I put it on the display was half there and half not. But after an hour or so it all came back. I figured it had something to do with the weather because I keep my radio in the shed that can sometimes get a little cold. I figured the use and the sun put it back into place. Last week I used the radio and it was fine.
Today it was acting up again.but this time it wouldn't come back. It was so bad at one point that I couldn't see a thing and decided not to fly. I opened the radio to see if anything was loose and half the display came back enabling me to fly the plane it was already set on but I was unable to make any changes because only half the screen was visible. It seems that the tighter the two screws are in the back the less there is to see on the screen. And when they are loose I get half a screen but not enough to go into programming.
This just happened out of the blue. It wasn't dropped or wet or anything. In fact the radio was in for service about 5 months ago and probably has about 15-20 days of flying on it since. It went in for some cosmetic work and a basic check up but nothing to do with the LCD. The case was changed on last service because the battery cover saddle became brittle on the last case.It seems everything is installed correctly on this one. I don't know why the two top screws are creating pressure that is affecting the LCD. I think this might be the problem....
It just so happens that I ordered a 9C last week and am waiting for it to come. When it comes it will replace this radio but I thought I could use this radio as a back up. Now like this I can't.
I don't know if it is worth it to have this one fixed or just junk it...
What are my options???
I don't want to spend money to send this to hobby services for them to tell me it's something I did.. I turn it on ,,,I turn it off...

The radio really isn't worth much the way it is now and to have it fixed just not make financial sense.. what do you think a new screen would cost installed?? And then the shipping....
What a bummer.........
Anyone else ever seen this????
Thanks all.
Paul

DGrant 04-08-2002 02:37 AM

6x LCD almost out ???

It might be worth getting an estimate on, and might surprise you as being reasonable to fix.

What I would do(and am working on, since I have my 9Cnow), since it's going to service anyways, if you have other planes that are on odd/different channels, and several older transmitters running individual planes, have the channel changed on the 6X to something near common with other planes. Take advantage of the features it might have over lesser equipment you might currently have. Use/save the 9C for your high-end planes, and use the 6X for everyday use.

You can get crystals for about $16 a piece, and hopefully keep within the same band.

I have all my high band planes on my 9C, and fun-fly/older planes on my 6X's. At least most are like this at this point. I have a couple of the 6X's. They are good radios in my opinion.

Also it gives you more channels you can fly on.

The best would be to afford transmitter modules for the 9C to fly all your planes, then we'd be set. Just ideas here...Good luck.

bugsiegel 04-09-2002 06:57 AM

blowdryer

I put a blow dryer to the lcd and it almost comes back. i can get it to about 90 percent return but after a short while it goes back to where it is now. I wonder if the cold had soemthing to do with this. as mentioned above, i keep it in the shed but it's been in there for two seasons and last week wasn't that cold in NY.

amcross 04-09-2002 11:17 AM

6x LCD almost out ???

Bugs,
Please DONT fly it again until we get to look at it and see why it is dropping the LCD. I would be very worried something more significant is wrong inside.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER

MikeL 04-09-2002 12:05 PM

6x LCD almost out ???

It might not be that cold out there, but depending on the dewpoints and the temperature inside the radio compared to that outside of it you might be getting some condensation in it from storing it outside during this season of large temperature swings.