Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Regional Racers & Bashers
Reload this Page >

Hobbytown Racing Thread (Grand Blanc, MI)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Regional Racers & Bashers Speak with other RC car fanatics from your local area

Hobbytown Racing Thread (Grand Blanc, MI)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Banzai660r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbytown Racing Thread (Grand Blanc, MI)

Thought I'd start a thread for the Hobby Town racers in Grand Blanc, MI. We've been having a GREAT time. Good People and good racing...............doesn't get much better than that!!

Yesterday was beautiful !! Some extra classes made it a long day.

Here's the details:

RACING IN GRAND BLANC MI. EVERY SATURDAY (PARKING LOT RACING)
1/18 ELECTIC CAR/TRUCK
NITRO TOURING CAR
19 TURN TOURING CAR
TOURING ELEC. CAR
MONSTER TRUCK
3 HEAT RACES PER CLASS
1 MAIN
FUN,FUN,FUN, TOO MUCH FUN.
FEE $10.00 1ST CAR $3.00 EVERY CAR AFTER
STARTS ABOUT 10:00AM TILL 4:30PM
WHERE: HOBBYTOWN GRAND BLANC (GRAND BLANC MALL) OFF SAGINAW.ST

HOBBYTOWN SHOP RIGHT THERE. PLENTY OF PARTS AND RACE GEAR.. ( GOOD PRICES TOO)REALLY COOL PEOPLE. HELPFULLY, FRIENDLY, THEY PROVIDE A COOL PLACE TO RACE WITH TIMING EQUIPMENT AND TRACK SET-UP. THANK YOU DAVID FOR ALL THE COOL STUFF...

There's a special race on Augest 6th at the Ortonville post office. There's supposed to be a drawing for prizes(every racer wins!!)
I'm hearing it's the best event of the season.

GIT DOWN!!!!

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2006, 02:49 PM
chaseman81

Default RE: Hobbytown Racing Thread (Grand Blanc, MI)

Cool Banzi now we have our own place on the race web. Man I want to race more than just Saturdays. I have the lap counter equipment just need a track. I might have a place with a great parking lot too. Big and Smooth. Maybe some of us can come up with the needed wood and drain tubing.

Chaseman81
Old 07-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Banzai660r

DUDE!! You've got a transponder system?!!? All you need is permission from someone to use the blacktop. Maybe a rental fee??? I'm sure we both could use the practice..............maybe we can get together and set-up a temp. track using Duratrax cones.? The drain tube is cheap ($25 per 200ft), It's the 2x4s that are going to run the cost up...... probobly looking at about 75-100 2x4x8 @ $3/per unless you know someone with a builders discount. I'd be willing to pitch in. Maybe put something together for every other Sunday......... I don't think the wife would want me to race both days EVERY weekend....... With the right advertising (a flyer @Hobbytown, post here, Hmmmmm) we could make a killing........... I thanked Dave before I left Sat. and told him "It was a good day".........his response-- "Yes it was" He probobly pulled down $350+ for the day...............Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........one day........that would just about pay for the track, something to think about.

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:25 AM
chaseman81

That would be great I was thinking of using 3" or 4" PVC pipe for the inside walls 8'ft section's we can cut or peice together with couplers should'nt be that much $ and easy to store. Here is a pic of a cool lay out . it is for carpet but for get about the green stuff .

Chaseman81
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94343.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	496145  
Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 AM
chaseman81

We would need to double or triple the pvc peices because the dimensions shown above are for 32' x 16' for micro. We need 100 x 40 huh? we could use the white cornor stuff they use at HT that woud keep the pvc stable from rolling. Do you know the guy that has that whit flex cornor stuff? I really want to do this and have more racing. We have the new church near us "NICE parking lot big and new..Smoooothhhh."
lmk
chaseman81
Old 07-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Banzai660r

If you put a "t" at the end of the pipes that hang into the corners the pipes wouldn't roll. 4" schedule 30 isn't too bad($8 per 10ft) but going sch. 40 might be better because it's stronger and 3" would probobly be sufficient........the fittings can be pricey though.....the pluses.....a lot less labor and lighter than wood. Could also partially fill select fittings with concrete to weigh them down and it probobly wouldn't be too hard on the cars. The only problem I see with the church is they'll have service on Sundays.........usually @ 8 + 11 am and 6 pm.

That's a nice track. I'd like to see a couple more solid track designs and fewer track changes week to week. Pick a nice layout and stick with it for a while. This allows racers to improve their times on the same track week after week. Possibly changing running direction (clockwise, counterclockwise) weekly then change the track mid-season or on a monthly basis.

Lightweight jumps are something to think about. They don't have to be large (8"-12" center height is sufficient) just something to add some excitement and make it a little harder on the truck classes. The jumps could be made from 1/4" pressed board with a 1x frame and foldable. They would need to be 8' wide though. I've been to parking lot races where the jumps were much smaller than the lanes and it made it hard for some racers to hit them. It's not pretty when you case the side of a jump or two wheel off it's edge.

I used to have a offroad track at my old house so I've got a some practice with track design and jump building, spacing, height etc.

I'm in [sm=thumbup.gif]............we just need somewhere to do it.

We plan on moving in another year ( I want more land). When I find what I want I'll be willing to set-up a nice off road track(outer quad/bike track with inner r/c track) and maybe make a weekly or bi-weekly thing out of it..........

Let's keep up the brainstorming

On the subject of the NTC3........I ordered a digital steering servo today. I'm hoping it will improve responsiveness over the standard servo the car came with. I've got one in my T-Maxx and they do make a HUGE difference in response and holding power(digital servos send 300 times more signal pulses to the motor than analog servos) Next up is the threaded shocks and K-factory aluminum center bulk and hard anod. brake hub and front input cup. I'm thinking about a front one way, all the factory guys run them or a solid axle up front. The car doesn't really "need" anything but a little "bling" is necessaryDo you know if DJ is using a one-way?

I've got to tear down the Warhead and check all the screws in the tranny and possibly lock in forward by shimming the reverser input and output gears so they mesh together, eliminating the counter gears. I also need to clean the one-way on the pull starter(It was slipping a little when I started it up for the main)

I already can't wait for Saturday...........I've got the FEVER[sm=bananahead.gif]

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:28 AM
chaseman81

Hey banazi, That sounds pretty cool about the ideas on the pvc. Glad your in. "That makes two." I think Mike will be into. Dave sold him the truggy. and he has a nitro car too I think rs4??

I have another place use to be a VG's hugh parking lot. I am gonna call the realtor today and see.
I think some jumps and bumps would be great. But you are right need to go the whole way acrossed the track.

When you get the new place the track 4wheeler outside r/c inside COOL!!!!!!!!

I know DJ uses digital on the steering not sure on the oneway yet... I have a high speed hitec I have'nt installed yet.
Bling bling is always good on an r/c ride. I am getting a set-up station 1st found one for 55.00 on ebay new with a case.

Whats the deal with the warhead it has been giving you problems lately huh? It is fast and turns great though. I am thinking of a .28 for the savage. But more torque = more tearing up drive trains and gears. I have had my savage for 2+ yrs. and only changed two spur gears and a shock shaft (hit a tire at about 40mph (run away) scary!!

Let's keep working on the track and get it ready ....

Chaseman81
Old 07-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Banzai660r

More power isn't too hard on them while running on pavement. It's when you go off road that you start tearing things up. The Warhead bumped out of gear a couple times on Sat. I'm not sure if the selector got jarred during impacts or if something is getting ready to give up the ghost. I've got to check it out BEFORE something bad happens. The tuned pipe just got knocked off the header Sat. Not a big deal. I'm still working on the steering. I've got great left hand steering and slightly less to the right. The bellcrank arm from the servo is hitting the radio box. If I can take right handers faster.......WHOOOOOO[X(] watch out boys, I'll be able to knock a couple seconds off per lap. Right now I have to be careful on right turns cause it wants to run wide, which is a bummer considering most of the track is right turns.

Come on Saturday...........

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:50 AM
chaseman81

Mine was like that to a while ago check your tweak. I readjusted the zip ties and made sure that the a arms a straight acrossed from each other seems much better . of course the warhead set's lower and turns much better I think. But still love the savage.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 PM
fastmax

I have been looking for info on the Ortonville race all day and couldn't find any anywhere. Do you know when they will be starting qualifying? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:34 PM
chaseman81

Hi fastmax, Our hobby shop is sponsering the event in Ortonville, if you call the shop they will give you all the info. 810-695-9088 hobbytown Grand Blanc # If you call wed afternoon ask for Dave or Derick they can help you.

Also check the 1st post by banazi he has posted info on our racing on Saturday's at the hobbytown parking lot. TOO MUCH FUN[8D]
Chasman81[8D]
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 PM
chaseman81

Hey Banazi, installed the Hitec in the ntc3 tonight HS-645MG. had to add 2 spacers behind the servo arm to get it fitting right without hitting the casing. Because the ball is mounted facing the servo. But you do what you have to do to upgrade. Got my starter box today! when it got here had to take it apart and put it back together, cause the wheel was in the wrong place for the NTC3. Works great G & S nice

Hey did you hear about the race in
Marlette? I guess just north east of flint. I emailed the guy, here is the info he sent me back.

[:@] Can't go to this one either. or Our's or even Sunday at pheasent run in Davisburg. I have that bike bash in bay city this Thur-Sun ( It better be good[&o]) This is a lot of prime racing to miss. This event is an off road and so is Sunday. Hope you can at least race.

RC PRO MICHIGAN STATE SERIES ROUND 3
Marlette, MI, USA
July 29 2006

Anyone can enter! You can either pre-register through paypal, or sign up at the track. We have had anywhere from 12-25 monster trucks at the first 2 rounds. If you sign up through paypal, the fee is $27, or $25 at the track.
paypal addy is: [email protected]

Also, if you sign up through paypal please put your frequencies and your personal transponer# (if you have one, if not we have them at the track).

Hope to see you there Saturday!

Rob Emerson
RC Pro Michigan State Rep
Old 07-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Banzai660r

fastmax,
You'll want to get there as early as possible. Dave said because of the car show it gets crowded and will be hard to get into once the show begins. It's going to be at the Post Office. Qualifying usually starts at 11:30 but you'll want to be there around 9:00 at the latest. Noah told me it's the best event of the year. Can't wait[8D]

Chaseman,
I had to completely redo my starter box too.............at least we learned how they go together I had to flip the motor and wheel to the opposite side of the mount and reroute all the wires. My AE .15 usually starts in 1-2 pulls(once primed) so I'm not using the box yet. The motors got plenty of power so I'm thinking of getting the non-pull backplate, non-pull Factory Team motor mounts, non-pull flywheel and throwing a Nova Pro Race cooling head on it.............then using the box.

My servo(Hitec Digital HS-5625 high speed 2BB, MG) will be here in the morning. The Hitec digitals come with a nice blue aluminum servo arm that happens to be the same size as the stock AE arm. I was reading in the instructions that some spacers are needed with certain servos...........I'll figure it out and "git er done"

I did see on RacerNine.com that there are some big events here in MI. I'm going to stick to Hobbytown this weekend. On Sunday I've got to put wheel bearings, shocks and upper control arms on our Avenger.........I've also got to finish the body work sometime..........It's never ending.

Did you find anything out on the old VGs parking lot?

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:41 AM
fastmax

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to get up to Hobbytown for the last few weeks, but I always end up having to work. Well not this weekend. See you guys there.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:01 AM
chaseman81

Found a couple of parking lots. Called on a couple waiting to hear back. keep your fingers crossed. I am going to check a couple more today. The old VG's parking lot looked rough.
Calling the middle school today, NICE, smooth ,new and big, right off us 23 on owen rd. EASY to find too.

That rtr of your's won't be stock for long Hey what 5-cell flat pack did you get? How much was it, and where did you get it?

I did some repainting and touch ups on the body of the stratus gonna use drywall tape and shoe goo to repair the wheel wells it's like fiberglass when it's done. Works well

Going out to test the new steering in a few and the box. Wired up a tester that plugs in where the transponder plugs into, so I don't have a charging problem. I can read the volts remaining, so I know if the batt is taken a charge and how much it's getting.

Also what weekend is ortonville? It's not this weekend is it?

OK ttyl
Chaseman81
Old 07-26-2006, 09:28 AM
fastmax

No, its next weekend I believe Sunday August 6 is the exact date. I cant wait, it should be awesome.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:40 AM
chaseman81

Thanks Fastmax,
What you gonna bring out Saturday to HT? I won't be able to be there working...
You'll have a good time
Old 07-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Banzai660r

Integy Intellect 1200 5 cell flat. Got it at Tower for 15.69, They also have a 1400 intellect pack for 16.59. I would have gotten the 1400 but it was out of stock.[] I'm running the same pack in my Warhead with no problems. I peak them the night before(like 1:00 in the morning)and they last all day with no sign of drain. You might want to invest in an Intellipeak ICE.......GREAT charger. Alot of the electric guys are using them too, big Jeff has two[X(]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLFX2&P=RF]Intellect 1200 rx pack[/link]

They're still out of stock on the 1400 pack..........

That's a bummer on the body ripping. I haven't had any problems with the Protoform bodys. The HPI bodies are horrible. The last one I had got cracked in shipment(I didn't notice until I laid the paint) and was wasted after the first race.........both sides of the front were flapping. And by the second weekend the side where the stinger exited was tore up. We did have a couple rough weeks out there though(A lot of......ummmmm.......bump and run). Parma has body repair kits now. They're strips and circles of lexan with preapplied adhesive but I've heard the shoe-goo thing works good.

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:03 PM
fastmax

I will be running a Mini LST. Still pretty much stock but I hope to have some hotter motors in it by this weekend. Even if I dont it should still be a good time. I am looking to get back into some 1:10 again here soon just not sure what I want to get yet.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:18 PM
chaseman81

If your into elec. I have a brand new TC4 roller I might let go of. It's the team version (not Factory team) I don't have the cash to complete it for a while so I might sell it

TEAM ASSOCIATED TEAM TC4. CAR HAS 6 QUALIFIERS AND 2 MAINS ON THE CARPET, 3 QUALIFIERS AND ONE MAIN ON THE ASPHALT. CAR IS NEW AND IS IN EXCELLENT RACING CONDITION, SET UP FOR CARPET. HAS YELLOW SPRINGS IN FRONT COPPER IN REAR, DOUBLE PINK AND PINK TIRES, COMES WITH ALL SWAY BARS, CASTER BLOCKS 2 DEGREE AND 4 DEGREE AND REAR 2 DEGREE ALUMINUM TOE BLOCK, EXTRA SET OF GOLD SPRINGS AND A FEW DIFFERENTIAL PARTS, RACE READY
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38101.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	497326  
Old 07-26-2006, 09:08 PM
fastmax

Nice. I might just be interested. I will let you know what I decide. I actually was thinking more along the lines of a B4 or XXX since I already have a dedicated on road car, it is a fully hopped up Tamiya F103LM. But ever since I have sold my TC3 I have wanted another tourer.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:53 PM
chaseman81

Cool fastmax, I will see you at the track, one of these weekends or you have the forum to get a hold of me. 2 more days then it's RACE DAY oh yeah I have to work [&o]
Thanks for your response
Chaseman81[8D]
Old 07-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Banzai660r

Racing tommarow!!!! It's gonna be hot so everybody make sure you bring enough beverages and an Easy-Up canopy if you have one. . Unfortunately Kudoba moved so......no more free pop refills[] Should be a good time.

Fastmax, looking forward to seeing you there!! Will you be sporting that bright orange rig in your Avatar?
Track is set up by 8:30am and the sooner you get there the more practice you can get in.

I've got some more wrenchin' to do..............see you all tommarow.

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 AM
fastmax

Yep, thats the one I will be running. How many other people up there are running the mini lst is the turnout usually pretty good for 1:18? I cant wait till tomorrow. Its been almost two years since I have been at an actual race and not just open track.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:14 PM
chaseman81

HEY GUY'S HAVE FUN!! YEAP THEIR SHOULD BE A FEW OF 1:18 i MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE MY TRUCK TO THE BIKE BASH AND BASH A LITTLE TOO[>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.